“German food in beautiful setting” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
“German food in beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We visited the Salmon River Country Inn on a Sunday evening. There were a number of diners, but the restaurant was not full. My partner and I had excellent meals of bratwurst and sauerkraut with potatoes served in a skillet. Senior portions were only $6.50. Service was a little slow, but this was partly because of special requests made by another diner. Wine was similarly modestly priced. Some good bottles were available, but the house wine was a rather insipid Canadian one. The view is splendid of the Salmon River estuary flowing through the hills. One can sit either outdoors or inside. The room is comfortable with tables as well as a lounge area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Nova Scotia
“The view will entice you to come, Margit's food will bring you back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Ernst and Margit Wechsler originally hail from Germany and are the proprietors of the "new" Salmon River Country Inn. I say "new" as this Inn is a local institution which had been until recently in operation since the early days of road travel along the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia. It had ceased operations a couple of years ago and our hosts, Ernst and Margit were able to buy her and have just re-opened her.

Margit's kitchen is well known locally through her cooking at another local attraction, Memory Lane Heritage Village in Lake Charlotte. In addition to the daily fare provided at her cookhouse, Margit would also do special heritage dinners where guests would dine on many gourmet meals from different ethnic backgrounds such as Italian, French or German for example. All these meals were freshly prepared and were always a memorable meal.

So bearing this in mind, it was with great interest that people were following the Salmon River Country Inn's starting up once again. We were unable to attend the opening weekend, however, I did notice the parking lot was full of guests.

My wife and I were able to visit a few days later for supper. I arrived ahead of my wife and when I went into the place I could see Margit busy in the kitchen preparing meals for other diners. My wife, Carol, arrived shortly thereafter and we were shown to our table in the dining area which overlooks the Salmon River bridge at the mouth of Jeddore Harbour. The view is splendid with a different kinds of bird life nearby. We were treated to a Blue Heron and a Kingfisher hunting for their supper just outside the patio deck area.

When we looked at the menu we noticed that of course Margit chose to offer what she knows best as the menu is a blend of Canadian and German dishes. We were tempted by her Lobster, but having been guests at their home on many occasion knew her home cooked German meals are not to be missed. Both of us decided upon Jagerschnitzel with Spaetzle which was a pork cutlet smothered with fresh mushrooms and gravy and a delicious noodle dish. We also were given fresh bread right out of the oven along with butter. The food was freshly prepared, generous in size and of course mouth watering. For desert we shared a slice of rum cake and coffee. You could taste the rum in the cake and it topped off the meal perfectly.

Margit has a real talent in the kitchen and no-one who comes to her table leaves feeling unhappy or hungry. During the meal both Ernst and Margit made it a point to visit each table and speak with the diners making you feel welcome valued as a guest. As I said, the views offered might entice you to come, but Margit's cooking will bring you back time and time again. I hope that Ernst and Margit will be the hosts of the Salmon River Country Inn for years to come.

• Visited May 2013