“A fun, relaxed place to learn to surf” 4 of 5 stars

Centre Ville | Hash Point, Taghazout BP 48, Morocco   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Taghazout B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canada
“A fun, relaxed place to learn to surf”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I did the full week experience at Surf Berbere and had a great time. The staff at both the surf camp and cafe were awesome and extremely helpful. The communal dinners were great and a great place to socialize. The rooms, restaurant and terraces are set in an amazing location right on Hash Point - we could sit on our balcony and watch better surfers than me tackle the big waves right in front of us. Breakfast was great as well.

The only negative things I have to say are regarding prices and lessons. Compared with elsewhere in Morocco basically everything associated with the surf camp - the rooms, the dinners, the transport, etc - was pretty expensive. Although I did a fair bit of research before booking and almost all of the surf camps in Taghazout (15 in total, I'm told) are priced similarly. As for the lessons, as nice and fun as the instructors were, the lessons were pretty haphazard and basic. While some of us were able to start getting up fairly quickly (not that I did much after that) and found the ongoing pointers helpful, some of the others who were having more trouble didn't seem to receive the basics they needed to really get started and enjoy themselves properly.

Room Tip: The shared accomm was all full when I booked so I got a private dbl, actually a 2 bedroom apt shared...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay! The staff are very courteous and so welcoming! They take the time to talk to all of the guests and treat them as friends rather than just another customer. There is plenty to do at surf Berbere; the obvious is surfing but they also provide easy access to the downtown core of a small fishing town on the coast, the hostel offers yoga, excursions to paradise valley and group meals on the beautiful rooftop patio overlooking the ocean are a must! Overall amazing stay and if your making a trip the coast surf Berbere is worth a visit!

• Stayed February 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for three nights. The location of the main building is perfect (overlooking glassy waves at Hash point). The cafe is great value and very tasty, with a very agreeable terrace, also overlooking the waves. Our room was clean and comfortable. The waves were amazing - best i've ever seen. Hassan was a great instructor. Great selection of wetsuits and boards to suit your needs. (I particularly liked that we could change the boards as we improved...I started with a 9ft. foamy, then down to an 8ft, then 7ft.6, then 7ft.2!). Great transport provided to find waves suitable for all levels. Tudor, in the office, was always friendly and extremely helpful. It just is the best way to learn/improve at surfing, in the loveliest surroundings, with the nicest, most helpful, of people. We'll be back asap! THANKS SO MUCH!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SBManagement, Owner at Surf Berbere Surf Camp Taghazout, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Hi Sam,
Thank you so much for the kind words, really glad that Tudor and team made your stay enjoyable and hopefully see you out in Taghazout for a surf again soon.
Kind regards,
James
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My friends and I had a wonderful time at Surf Berbere! The staff is great, Tudor in the office does a great job and has a solution ready for everything. The surf coaches, are easy-going and spontaneous, always ready for some football on the beach.
The terrace of the main building is a wonderful place to be at sunset...

Marcel,
Thank you so much for the kind words, I wasn't out when you were staying with us, but it is always lovely to hear people saying nice things about Surf Berbere.
Tudor and the guys put a lot of effort into trying and making everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible and Morocco being Morocco, this is no easy task as small things can go wrong on a fairly regular basis.
When people write kind words, it makes all the effort worthwhile, so thank you very much.
Hopefully see you out in Taghazout soon!
James
St Andrews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

For the last 3 years I have been running trips of around 40 students from the University of St Andrews Surf Club to Surf Berbere and have only praise to offer (January 2011/12/13). Right from the organisational assistance while we were in the UK to the actual delivery of the trip the whole process was hassle free and resulted in man students absolutely devastated at having to return to the UK.

The chilled out vibe is a perfect for encouraging fun be it on the beach, on day trips or in the camp itself. The instructing staff are dedicated and extremely friendly making lessons more like a favor from a friend than some kind of business relationship and many of our surfers progressed in leaps and bounds. they also know the coastline inside out making sure the best conditions are enjoyed everyday and are pretty nifty if you are brave enough to challenge them in a game of beach football!

The camp management staff are similarly friendly and go out of their way to make sure you enjoy all elements of your stay whether it be advice on cultural days out or including you in a cheeky evening session to make sure you make the most of any and all swell. The food is delicious and plentiful with no corners cut and the accommodation is clean and comfortable.

I cannot recommend a trip with Surf Bebere enough and for any other University Surf Clubs out there the hassle free experience means that organizers like myself can actually enjoy the holiday as well! I am gutted that my imminent graduation means I shall not have the privilege of organizing anymore of these trips though I know they will continue through the club for many years to come.

I will see you again soon guys!

شكرا

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

A beautiful place with friendly and helpful staff! I travelled through Marocco with two friends, ended up surfing in Taghazout and I can't imagine a better place to stay. Of course: For maroccain average it is not that cheap - but totally worth it. Our budget apartement was great, 3 rooms, kitchen, bathroom and a huge balcony with a nice view of the sea. The staff organized everything: the surfing and transport to the beach and we enjoyed breakfast every morning in the café. Last but not least we even got discount on a surf session, drank a beer with the guys on the public roof terrace and a staff member bought our bus tickets for our way back to Marrakech and met us early in the morning in the bus terminal of Agadir to bring us the tickets. Amazing!

Room Tip: Our budget apartement was already, the more expensive ones probably have roof terrace and better vie...
Brikstol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed over xmas and new year in the North Shore Apartments. We were there for 2 weeks and the weather was gorgeous, perfect sunshine, the views were lovely out to Anchor point and was only a short walk to the village. The surf camp were friendly and helpful and the cafe was a good place to chill and watch the waves at hash point.
The only bad part about the accomodation was that we were there for 14 days and the apartment wasnt cleaned once only by us.....I wouldnt expect it to be cleaned daily but perhaps after the first week we were there was a lot of dust everyday in the apartment.
About Taghazout, its perfect for surfers there is a lot of rubbish lying around and there is a drain not far from the surf camp which does smell but once past this the smell goes. The shops are suitable for small trips to get water milk etc etc dont expect to be able to do a full shop in the village. We found a lovely resturant called Le Paix which we spent most of our time in, the food is so cheap out there you can eat out relatively every meal time and not spend a fortune. It is a dry town so you cannot purchase alcohol in the village but you can go outside to buy from supermarket.
I would personnally not return to marocco as I was quite ill through the two weeks and there wasnt really anywhere I felt comfy enough to chill. My partner on the other hand would come back purely for the surf and the location of Taghazout.
I would recommend Surf Berbere

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf Berbere Surf Camp Taghazout? Share your experiences!