“What an adventure...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chimps' Nest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kibale National Park
Chimps' Nest
You added Chimps' Nest to your Saves list
PO Box 611 | Fort Portal, Kibale National Park, Uganda   |
Offers & Announcements
30% last-minute discount
Los Angeles, California
“What an adventure...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I traveled to Uganda in July 2013. I stayed in one of the tree houses. Unfortunately, did I arrive very late at night and had to leave early in the morning and was unable to fully enjoy my surroundings. I did enjoy the walk to the tree house in almost complete darkness over the raggedy walkway which was an adventure in itself (it really is not too far). The forest noises and smells were amazing. The only thing that was highly disappointing to me was that I could hear loud music in the distance - I later found out that there was some sort of cultural performance going on.

Please stay only in the tree house if you don't expect luxury. It is simple and small but clean. Also, you must be a nature lover - I did have a nightly visitor to my bed - a small mouse which at first startled me but later I had to laugh. I should have tucked in the mosquito net and this visitor would have stayed out of my bed. Overall, I loved the experience and waking up in the morning to the loud calls of several baboons in my tree was absolutely priceless!!! I would definitely visit again and stay in the tree house, including seeing my "nightly visitor..." :-)

The tree house is an amazing experience - just be prepared and you will love it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I could spend months here if I had the time. It is in such a beautiful place in the middle of an amazing forest. I was alone there, and I don't think there were many other guests as I didn't see any of them. I stayed in the room(s) that I believe are called the "dorms". It is a bit far from the main building, which is good. It is not exactly luxurious in the dorms, it is basically a concrete building, but it has a substantial and comfortable bed. I went out exploring at night, there are several trails that are easy to walk around. It was so thrilling to be out there in the dark with my headlamp. This forest is full of life, insects and spiders are everywhere. I heard the chimps screaming in the distance at times. While I was there the butterfly population was literally exploding. They were EVERYWHERE in the air. At one point I sat still in the treehouse balcony (even though I wasn't staying there) and I was covered from head to toe with little butterflies. It was amazing. This forest gets the most exhilirating rain storms you will ever experience. They do not drag on for too long, and they didn't stop me from doing any activities. But they are torrential when they hit, and they have a deafening roar as the drops pound down on the foliage and leaves. The staff is really nice, there is one extremely beautiful girl working there that I could not take my eyes off of. I think I made her uncomfortable, I did not realize how much I kept staring at her. The owner is a Dutch guy and he runs the business well, he will do whatever you need to make your stay more enjoyable. There are also some really cool places to hang out at this place, there's even a pool table and some other sitting areas. Chimp's Nest is one of the most memorable, and incredible places I stayed in my entire 5 year, round the world tour.

Room Tip: The dorm is very simple but has comfortable beds and it is attached to the showers which are adequat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

First off if you are not a nature loving person then DO NOT stay in the Tree House! You will hike about a 1/4 mile to get there. It is very nature oriented- insects, animals, etc. But if you can handle those things it is quite an experience! Also these are small, only 2 twin beds or 1 queen bed and that's it! The shower is outside at the top of the tree- yes there are monkeys, elephants and other animals nearby.

The cottages are much better. But still tailored towards the nature loving crowd. At night you can here animals running accross the roof. There are reptiles and insects in the rest room- Oh, did I mention that the restroom is outdoors (walls but no ceilings)? There are insects crawling inside as well. When I woke up in the morning a work fell from the ceiling, lol!

But... if you can handle the nature you will love this room. It is beautiful. The food at this place is THE BEST!!! The staff is very nice.

There was elephant dong on the trails and I heard them in the mornings but I never saw them. Also, baboons and monkeys are throughout the area. Bats are there too... but they don't bite.

Room Tip: Cottages are for those able to stand nature. Tree houses are for those that love nature.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed two nights at Chimp's Nest as a base for a visit to Kibale NP and a visit to Bigodi Wetlands. Both are relatively close by, but transportation is certainly needed.

We stayed in the Family Cottage. Accommodation was so-so (3 of 5). Room was fairly sparse (just beds) and the solar-powered lighting lasted just a few minutes before we needed to resort to flashlights. Bathrooms were connected to the unit, but were outside and open air. Difficult to navigate in the dark, but water was warm which was a great.

On the other hand, staff were very friendly and happy to help out with any problems / questions we had and the food was in general very good (especially the bread and french toast at breakfast!)

This is certainly not resort living, but I found it to be as good as advertised.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Chimps Nest is only for the hardcore nature lover or eco warrior. The main building is attractive and would offer great views if a banana plant was not in the middle of the vista, food is however very good. The rooms are something of a trek along and unlit path through the bush and escorted by a memeber of staff lest you encounter snakes or forest elephants - not very reassuring. Rooms are in jungle huts and basic, bades are hard and bathrooms in the open air - fine during the day but challenging at night when you'll find that the solar powered lighting fails to function. The room has a traditional hurrican lamp - but no matches - so be prepared to grope your way around in the dark mobile phone in hand. For the price really a bit much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Kibale National Park hotels

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here two nights in JUN 2013 and the weaver birds and butterflies were an ubiquitous sight. It was lovely! This is a stone's throw from Murchison Falls' Nat'l Park and Bigodi Wetlands, not to mention the Chimps' Sanctuary. The people are friendly and obliging and the beer is cold (ish). There are millions of stars at night and there is plenty of hot water (the tank at each lodge is heated by a wood-burning fire. There were butterflies everywhere!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Perfect location! Very nice view from our lodge, it was only a bit far from the reception/restaurant but this give you the idea that you are in the middle of the forest.

The rooms were ok, but not really good. There were to many cracks, and the windows could not close for 100%, so it was a easy come in for insects. The same for the shower, it is pretty cool to shower outside but there were to MANY insects even the insect spray would not work, so i could not take a relaxing shower.

We decided to do the Night Walk as optional activity, but it was very disappointed, only things we saw: 1 spider, phasmatodea(NL: Wandelende Tak) and some crickets. Totally not worth the money! And one of the guides was almost running trough the forest, and not really interesting, he was half of the time busy on his phone.

Because it's was my father birthday we tried to arrange something with our travel agency and Chimps Nest. And they arranges a surprise birthday cake, very nice!

Positive
+ Beautiful view from our lodge
+ Nice and cozy restaurant
+ Good Prizes

Negative
- No charge point in the lodge
- Food was not really good, if you compare them to the other lodges
- Some lodges are far away from the restaurant/reception
- Night walk was very disappointed

Room Tip: I Would not recommend the Tree Houses, we searched form them, but they were really far away! And you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chimps' Nest? Share your experiences!