“Great find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 restaurants in Pazzallo
Cuisines: Italian, Swiss
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: A few steps away from Lugano a real, traditional, local grotto inside the green forest.Grotto Morchino at Pazzallo.The Grotto Morchino is a typical local restaurant, it has a cozy room inside with an open fire place and outside a cool, covered terrace. In all these years it has becoming an absolutely must to share the easy barbecue ambience in summer time.
Lugano, Switzerland
“Great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Finally made it to Grotto Morchino and it's was such a lovely surprise.
Lovely location either sitting outside or inside the grotto.
Depending on what you want to eat it can be pricy but you can find grilled cheese at just CHF 10 so it's just up to you how much you want to spend.
Service great.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
“Excellent food in a unique atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I go regularly to this fantastic place but never took the time to write a review on it.
The place is wonderful, a beatiful old house in the forest and the seating is under the trees.
The owner is kind and friendly and the service, though rustic, is always prompt.
The food is unique with the greatest attention to the ingredients.
It does not get any better than this!

• Visited August 2013
London
“Original and one of the best in the region”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Very simple, excellent food without a doubt, the asparagus have to be the best in Lugano. Good selection of wines, try AGRA a little expensive but excellent. If in this region go up the hill and try Grotto. Anybody complaining is just being stuck up.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“on the decline.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This Grotto has succumbed to the lure of easy money. Most wines are unremarkable and 5 to 10 francs above where they are in other grotti. The food is well considered, and in the main well executed. The polenta was actually exquisite, the ossobucco good, the rabbit good. The salads were the usual near-frozen, mass pre-pepared fare that in Switzerland counts as fresh. The deserts were unimaginative (choice of ice cream, pannacotta, and a rather unappetizing looking chestnut and chocolate concoction). Our local guests felt that the mains were overpriced. On the final bill, a child's menu suddenly changed to an adults pricing, and the side salad to replace other, more stodgy side dishes suddenly became an additional adult dish. Not what you'd expect. Indeed, the grotto has hosted many famous people who probably found it just very conveniently located in order to get back to the hotels in Lugano. The grotto trades off this reputation. When we were there, the other tables were all Swiss Germans, and apart from us, no other locals to be seen.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pierluigi O, Proprietario at Grotto Morchino, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I can only repeat that I'm so sorry about your unpleasant stay in my grotto. The evening you've been there with your friends, I explained them (unfortunately only in italian) that I'm sorry about the error I've made with the bill and the reasons why.

My choice about the prices, the kind of wines on the wine list and the quantity of desserts are the result of reflected considerations that everybody is doing for his own restaurant. It's up to the guests to judge if this choices are worth or not.
For the kind of restaurant I own, basing on the reviews, till now, I've had always an excellent feed-back.

I'm pleased that you appreciate the quality of food you tasted but I don't agree with the assumption of the frozen and ready-made salad. I don't understand either your joke about the appearance of our chestnut roll…..?

Regarding the customers of the Grotto Morchino, believe me, it's not up to me to choose them, but it's up to them to enjoy to come to us.
Sometimes there are more people of the region and sometimes there are more tourists and other times it's equivalent.
If it would be a grotto for tourists, you'd have find a menu written in 4 languages and perhaps it would have been correct because in Switzerland we talk 4 languages (german, french, italian and romansh), but, our restaurant it's typical ticinese and that's why we've written it just in italian with specialty and wines of our region.
Who does not understand, I translate and if I mistake……..we laugh about.

I realize that's impossible to please everyone and that sometimes, it needs just a small detail not going the right way to overcloud all the positive ambiance around.
I'm sorry that this happens to you.

Kind regards
Pierluigi Olgiati
Indialantic, Florida
“a lovely experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Morchino grotto is located on the San Salvatore mountain but still five minutes from the center of Lugano.
The setting is unique surrounded by secular trees. The house is an old perfectly restored one and the moment one enters the place one feels warm and comfortable.
The unusual seating arrangement is conductive to conviviality.
We immediately sensed that the clientele was drawn to the place for this.
The food was excellent and plentiful and the price was not only right but reasonable.I will recommend to all my friends, tourists and businessmen not to miss the experience of a visit for dinner or lunch to this place.
The owner welcomes and serves with a smile and one feels that this is a family run business.
It is places as this that make the Ticino such an attractive place for vacation.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Grotto Morchino? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Grotto Morchino, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.