“Danny's is AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Danny's Village Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Namatakula
Danny's Village Homestay
You added Danny's Village Homestay to your Saves list
Queens Road, Namatakula, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Namatakula B&B and Inns
Noosa, Australia
“Danny's is AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

My partner and I were very aprehensive about staying in a Fijian village and the idea of a homestay but we should not have been concerned. Danny's is an amazing place to stay and experience another culture. If you are looking for a unique cultural experience then this has to be the place to stay. The hosts Sake, Tupou and Henry are truely fantastic people who make you feel welcome and you have your own cabin so you don't stay in the same house as your hosts. There is only 3 cabins and we were the only people there for the first two days until a family of 4 from Ireland arrived on our 3rd day. But the cabins are spread out so we did not step on each others privacy. This families two children had the best time playing with the kids from the village and they never seemed to stop playing in the ocean or climbing coconut trees. The cabins are only 7 paces from the high water mark so when the water is in the lapping of the water on the beach is quite tranquil. We initially booked in for 3 nights but ended up staying 5 nights. The meals are all prepared with fresh produce collected from the village plantations. You can see the whole process from collecting the food in the early morning to preperation, cooking and serving the food. The cost was FJD$100.00 per night per person and it was well worth it for the cultural experience and food that was served. In the evenings we had fires on the beach under the stars and one night we went to a village elders house to drink kava and listen to the villagers sing songs in tune with an old guitar. One afternoon we took the guided waterfall tour with Henry which was great. On Saturday we went with Henry and the village rugby team to play another village in a game of rugby. We travelled with the team on the bus to the grounds in Suva and in the evening when we returned with the team back to the village (triumphly) we drank kava with the team to celebrate the win. I think the best thing we could of done was stay in a local resort (about 20mins drive from Danny's) before we went to Danny's. Doing this allowed us to relax and calm down from our busy western lifestyle so that when we got to Danny's we were on Fiji time. We booked the stay online via fijihomestays and the people at this website could not be more helpful setting the whole thing up for us. This is a truely amazing place and I would be happy to recommend to family and friends. We would definately go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

If you're going to Fiji for a family vacation, you need to stay here. We stayed at Danny's for 6 nights, my husband and I and our two boys age 6 and 10. Let me tell you, Tupou and Sake took such good care of us we felt almost like family by the end of our stay.

Tupou will prepare all your meals in the "canteen" -- a separate building a few steps away from the sleeping cabin. The food is spectacular, all home-cooked and mostly from the surrounding jungle and ocean, or from the local farmer's fields. If you've never had babacau, you have to try it! We had it every morning we were there.

We stayed in Nadi on our first night in Fiji, and the hotel room was crawling with bugs/beetles/cockroaches I shudder to think what they were. I didn't see a single cockroach-like bug the whole time we stayed at Danny's. Everything was so clean!

We stayed in the family cabin, which was set up with a double bed for my husband and I, and a single bed and a bunk bed for the kids. We all had mosquito nets for sleeping, and it was so nice to listen to the sound of the ocean while drifting off to sleep.

The facilities are down the garden path, and there are two flush toilets and two showers. There was no hot water for the shower, which didn't bother us at all. It was so hot the cool shower felt so nice, and the kids were in the water so much anyway they didn't need much washing except to wash away sand. They keep a light on all night there, so you can find your way if need be.

The beach is excellent for kids, because there is no real surf. There is a reef a couple hundred yards off shore (give or take depending on the tide) that takes the brunt of the really big breakers. The beach has a very shallow decline, so that when the tide is in the water is about 10 yards from the cabin, and when it is out, it's maybe 40 or 50 yards from the cabin. As a result, the water is knee deep unless you go way out to sea. The kids loved this and so did I--I wasn't worried about them getting carried away or tossed around in the breakers. There is a fresh water river that flows just to the east of Danny's that you can also swim or rinse off in, which is nice.

Every day the village children (I counted around 40 of them) would come to the beach after school and play a Fijian version of baseball using a bamboo stick and a rubber ball. They welcomed my 10-year-old to play and he played almost every day with them. My 6-year-old became a tree climbing expert as the village kids showed him how to get coconuts and other fruits I never learned the names of! I loved to see my kids playing with children who had never heard of Disney, Pokemon, or Nintendo.

There is lots to do there. Some of the young men from the village made a bilibili--a sort of raft/boat made from bamboo--and Sake and Henry took our boys out on it a couple of times. They had so much fun jumping in and falling off. Some of the village kids waded out and played with them on it.
We did a trip to the nearby largish town, Sigatoka. We went to Eco-Park, a well-done zoo / jungle walk where we saw lots of the local wildlife. Birds and lizards and turtles. We toured the school. My husband and son attended a rugby practice. There was plenty to do! We went on a hike to a waterfall, which is about a 30 minute hike through the jungle.
One of the best things about Fiji/Danny's for families is that
a) there are no poisonous snakes on the island due to the mongoose
b) there are no poisonous spiders on the island
c) the mongoose is the largest mammal on the island
I felt very safe letting my kids trek through the jungle. I felt very safe letting the kids roam around the village.

Staying in a homestay is different. There is no room service. The accommodations are basic. You'll be staying with people who live very differently from you. It's a bit like camping. We were worried it would rain while we were there, and it did, but mostly at night, and the two days it "rained" it really just sprinkled, and it felt nice and cool in the heat (we were hiking to the waterfall)!

The best part about Danny's is the people. If you choose to go to a resort, realize that you will be socializing with other tourists. If you go to Danny's, you'll be socializing with Fijians. We wanted to meet Fijians, and we were glad we stayed at Danny's because the people we met there are some of the best we've met anywhere. It felt amazing to see and learn about these people who are living mostly off the land, communally in a village. When I first arrived there, it seemed to me these people were living in abject poverty. But they aren't poor--they just don't need much money. By the end of our stay, I had come to realize that these folks are in some ways much better off than us in America. They look out for each other, share land and resources, have little technology and lots of love and time for each other. I hope we can go back there someday, it is an amazing place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Sunshine Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I can only endorse the preveious reviews, Danny's Homestay is a fabulous place to relax, unwind, enjoy some genuine Fijian hospitality and to meet and really get to know some lovely local people.
The food was excellent, a mix of traditional and western, catering for three vegetarians and one not. We ate with family members (when they weren't cooking yummy things for us)
The rooms are light and airy, right on the beach and surrounded by lush tropical gardens and the village, Namatakula, sort of surrounds Danny's, with plantations of coconut, taro and tapioca between.
Along the beach in front you will see the local kids playing, fishermen on bamboo rafts, horse riding and occasionally the local U17 rugby team training. While we were there the local rugby 7s team won a national title so there was lots of celebration and kava drinking.
My family - me 47, wife 40 and boy16, girl 14 - spent four nights at Danny's which enabled us to begin exploring the village and the local area. We rode horses on the beach, swam in the river, rode to a waterfall, snorkelled and ate and relaxed. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

Seriously, it is THAT good. I stumbled upon Danny's and feel so blessed that I did. Danny's is operated in the small village of Namatakula - where time is a bit slower, people a bit friendlier, and life is a bit better. I think the experience is enhanced by the beautiful hosts of Danny's: Sake and Toupo. Wow, talk about sincere, caring, and down-to-earth. From the moment I arrived we shared hugs and laughter! And, they made certain I was happy and comfortable my entire stay!
I truly can't say enough about what a beautiful, authentic Fijian experience this was . . . to feel like a family member, and a part of a real community was amazing!
I can't recommend this enough for anyone and everyone . . . Happy Travels!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

I had booked a holiday to Fiji with my 14 year old son in December (due to bargain priced flights) without knowing a thing about the country. Through this forum, I found out about Danny's homestay on the Coral Coast, we also decided on Treasure Island for a few nights. (Again, due to this forum and then my own research)

We had the MOST FANTASTIC time at the homestay!!! Our hosts Tupou & Sake couldn't have possibly done anymore for us!!!!! We were treated like a combination of Royalty and Family!

When we arrived they asked when we would like to eat (Even though it was getting late) I thought it might be a little snack, but it was a BEAUTIFUL, FRESH,HOMEMADE, FULL MEAL consisting of curried fish, a wonderful chicken dish, a succulent beef dish, 4 different local vegetables and rice, fruit & the neverending offer of 'juice' (They loved their soft drinks!!).

And it just got better from there, sure the rooms were basic (but clean), we went to Church with them, snorkelled with them, ate with them, laughed with them, exchanged stories with them, ate with them, learnt from them, taught them, went to the waterfall with them, ate with them, watched the 'lovo' being prepared, ate the most amazingly cooked lovo meal with them (which included Morton Bay Bugs and Crayfish, on the side!!!) walked around the Village with them, had a bon-fire on the beach with them.......

Where do I stop???

As I mentioned I went with my 14 year old Son, this can be a tricky age. Not ONCE did he complain about a single thing, let alone ask about MSN or anything else, as there wasn't anytime!!!!

Treasure Island was also beautiful. Air-Con, ensuite, organised activities, never-ending pool.... The 'Smorgy's' meals were very average though. Why were we paying top dollar for Western Food when only a few days earlier we were eating the freshest, most delicious homecooked meals for a fraction of the price????

I paid $95 p/n for myself, and I think $60- for my Son (fijian). You honestly can't beat that!!! I actually felt guilty!!!!

We were at Danny's on the 23-26 Jan 2010, and I can guarentee that the experience was amazing, and one that my Son and myself will value forever!

I could keep going on, but then I would never stop. Please check out the website!!! And possibly your next visit could be your best holiday ever!!!! I know we have formed a strong bond with this amazing couple, and their friends and families, and will definately be back!!! (Who knows when, that doesn't matter!)

Resorts are fantastic and everything is at your fingertips. But why not have an 'experience' with the true Fiji. Tupou and Sake and all they offered us was truly amazing! My Son talks about our stay there much more then our Island Paradise!!!!

www.fijihomestays.com

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Early December 2009 we went to Fiji to stay on the island resort - Beachcomber - it was great. We had been there 3 or 4 days and I thought we would get off the island and head to the mainland of Viti Levu to the area called the Coral Coast. Some people I had meet over dinner on Beachcomber had visited the Coral Coast and even though I have visited Fiji 4 or 5 times I had never been to the Coral Coast. After a quick internet search I found fijihomestays.com and decided to stay in a village. The website put it the trip together for us. At first I didn't like the idea of a home stay where you stay in someone’s house but the website said you get your own cabin ...so I took a chance and we went to Danny’s - boy am I glad we did.

Isso (Danny's driver) meet us at Denarau Harbour and drove us the 2 or so hrs to the village of Namatakula where Danny's Homestay is. The Yasawa Flyer got into the port about 6pm so we arrived at Danny's at around 8pm. Sake and Tupou the couple who run Danny's were there to make us feel welcome and after putting our bags in our cabin - little wooden cabin with a tin roof - no ensuites but very comfortable - we were served dinner. Fish, chicken, fresh fruit and vegetables all prepared in traditional Fijian style - sensational. The cabins are away from the main cabin just far enough to not feel we are staying with a family yet close enough if we need to go to the main house to get a coffee or a snack. Sake has spent some time planting the gardens around the homestay so it felt like our own little part of Fiji. After dinner we sat around talking and getting to know the family.

Next morning we woke to the noise of the water lapping on the beach and from our cabin window we could see the water not more that 5m away from the cabin. It looked so good we had a morning swim before breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs, toast and a cup of coffee. After breakfast Henry took us on a tour of the village and everyone was so friendly - Bula is a word you need to know - At our request Sake had organised a tour to Eco Park (a wildlife park featuring animals from Fiji) Isso drove us there after lunch (toasted tuna and cheese sandwiches, fruit and orange juice and coffee) and I would recommend it as something to do while visiting the coral coast. Back at the village before dinner Henry took us snorkelling and I was amazed at the amount of fish just off the beach. The coral formations were large and the giant clams are a sight to see. No fishing is allowed in front of the village as it is a wildlife reserve so there is plenty of fish to see. After dinner (more traditional delicious Fijian food - can I make a point here - there is so much food on offer at meal times that we could not eat it all) because of such a busy day we just went to the cabin, read and had an early night. The next day (our last day) we spent most of it snorkelling and swimming in the bay. The water was crystal clear and we were happy to lie on the beach, read and soak up the suns warm rays. That night for dinner Sake prepared a lovo and we got to help put it altogether. The experience of preparing the lovo is something that I will never forget. I know the Fijians prepare lovos many times during the year for special occasions but for us just being apart of it was very special and something I will never forget. After dinner we stay in the main cabin listened to Fijian music, talked and just generally enjoying everyone’s company.

The next morning after breakfast we had to leave but I can honestly say that leaving was a joyful and sad moment for us. Sad because we had to leave but joyful because we had got to meet and experience the real Fijian way of life and had the chance to meet some great people from another culture. If I had known about Danny's before our Fijian holiday I would of definitely planned a longer stay at Danny's. THANK YOU! SAKE HENRY and TUPOU for your hospitality. I would think nothing of it to recommend Danny's Village Homestay to any of my friends and family visiting Fiji.

Bula Vinaka. Brad from Auckland, New Zealand.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Auckland New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

I wanted to stay in a village and chose Dannys Homestay. I was met at the resort and driven down to the Coral Coast to DANNYS where I spent two days.

Dannys right on the water and I’d recommend this village for families - Saki and Toupu were excellent hosts and just couldn’t do enough for me.

I accompanied them out fishing, snorkeling and gathering coconut seedlings for transplanting. Coconut palms take near on 20 odd years to mature. I will be close to 80 before someone climbs the palms I planted.

I could not help notice that boats from the local resort were bringing their guests to snorkel in the water just off the beach outside my cabin – where I relaxed with a cold beer ( Alcohol is OK )

Henry, from the village, my snorkeling guide said this was because the waters in front of Danny’s has been a marine reserve for past 6 or so years and this is the best snorkeling on the coral coast…I could not agree more as there were huge schools of fish…the giant clams are an awesome site, right off the beach in front of Danny’s.

The home stay is excellent, cabins that have beds, and eating is in the main Dining kitchen area set up with tables and chairs. Again meals were traditional Fijian food with plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables and fish.

There was a choice for Breakfast from a cooked breakfast eg: eggs in the style you prefer, scrambled, poached or fried through to casual. I was happy with toast and tea.

Water is boiled on an open fire for the separate private shower cubicles.

I would recommend to anyone contemplating a holiday in Fiji to consider spending a few days in a village – To Experience the real Fiji. The stay directly goes to support the village community and positively improves their lives.

Don2k4 New Zealand

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Danny's Village Homestay? Share your experiences!