“Warm welcome” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 20 Melville B&B and Inns
UK
“Warm welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The staff were lovely and very welcoming. It's in a great location and the food was fantastic (I'm reliably informed by the locals that the restaurant that they own of the same name is really good too)

Our room was ok. It worked well for us and the children (mum, dad, 8 year old and 6 year old).

There was a problem with damp which needed sorting - it was particularly apparent in the bathroom where the ceiling was peeling and the bits were all over the sink and the couch was in real need of a clean. Other than that, the bed was great, really big and comfy and the room was clean. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ConwayFalconer, Owner at Lucky Bean Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear "Headoftheclass"

I sense that you were disappointed and I understand and am sorry. The damp is a problem and is being addressed on the 16th when the room is being redone. There was damage done by the rains last summer, and we were advised to leave the room for winter, to allow some drying to happen. And so we scheduled the treatment of the walls and the revamp for just before the summer rains. The couch was a bad idea, never buy a light coloured couch! We have been having it cleaned regularly, but obviously not regularly enough. It is being replaced when we redo the room in two weeks time.

Thank you for your other positive comments and for taking the time to comment.

Best wishes,

Conway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were more than happy with our stay at the Lucky Bean. The rooms were large and spotless; the bathroom of one of our rooms was larger than my bedroom at home. The staff were smiling, helpful and friendly. Derrick, a driver associated with the Lucky Bean, went above and beyond to look after us in all our trips around the city. He knows the traffic routes inside out and saved us a lot of traffic headaches. Conway was out of town when we were there, but was ever available by e-mail. Top marks; it's hard to imagine a more competent, courteous or comfortable guest house.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Recently I was sent to Johannesburg on a work trip from London. My flight from Heathrow landed in Jo’burg at 9am. The rest of my colleagues were to meet me that evening at our hotel the Lucky Bean Guesthouse in Melville. The arrangement was I would get a transfer to the hotel by their driver. It all went like clockwork the driver was there to meet me on time and we set off on the motorway. Within five minutes we found ourselves stuck in traffic and then five minutes later an enormous truck carrying bricks came hurtling down the motorway. Unable to brake he hit five cars including ours in a pile up. Miraculously nobody was seriously injured. In shock I was brought into hospital to get checked out. As I sat their in disbelief at what had just happened the owner of the hotel Conway turned up and introduced himself. He kindly waited for me whilst I was seen to which took hours. He made sure my bags were safe and that I received the care I needed. I travel a lot and have stayed in some incredibly luxurious hotels but the kindness of the staff and the owner Conway of the Lucky Bean Guesthouse exceeded any other hotel experience. They went above and beyond. Added to that the hotel is fantastic. It is a beautiful boutique hotel with pretty gardens and clean, carefully designed rooms. As part of a film crew we were given extra storage for our equipment which was kept safely which was very reassuring for us. The hotel is located in Melville which is a great part of town with fantastic restaurants including the Lucky Bean restaurant. I cannot recommend this hotel more - it is excellent.

Room Tip: My room in the back had it's own private garden and pond!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ConwayFalconer, Owner at Lucky Bean Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you Sarah! We were just so happy that you were ok!

Conway
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Conway, the owner is a great host, staff is incredibly nice, friendly and helpful. The room is beautifully decorated, spotless clean, quiet with the most comfortable bed ever!... You even enjoy your own private patio . It is in a great location, 10 min walk from the lively 7th street of Melville ( restaurants, bars etc...). And last but not least you get to meet very interesting and nice other guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The lucky bean has a great atmosphere and the owners and all the staff are incredibly nice and helpful. The rooms are very spacious and the breakfast is also quite good. The location is not ideal, but other than that is perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

They greeted me at the door, offered me coffee, chatted with me until my room was ready. Every morning they would be there in the kitchen over breakfast to talk and offer suggestions on where to go and what to do. Literally anything I needed, they had it covered. I needed to grab dinner, so they took me in their car. I wanted to hear music, so they let me come to their sold out event. I asked about where to buy records and they found a shop for me.

Great people. Beautiful rooms. Tasty breakfast. Fun, safe part of town.

Room Tip: My room was in a private side with it's own coy pond. If you want privacy, that's a great ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lusaka, Zambia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Lucky Bean is the best place to stay. We have stayed in five different rooms there. Each room was a pleasure to sleep in, comfortable, immaculately clean, and beautifully decorated with little touches unique to each. Conway and Natasha go out of their way to make sure that your trip runs smoothly, and they are supported by a wonderful small team of staff who care for the Lucky Bean with dedication. Being the best in Melville, Lucky Bean is a place to return to again and again.

Room Tip: Go there more than once, and try each room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lucky Bean Guesthouse? Share your experiences!