“Very relaxing respite after many days on the road!” 5 of 5 stars

Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast
40 Couch Road, Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 4A2, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 27 Whitehorse B&B and Inns
Anchorage, Alaska
“Very relaxing respite after many days on the road!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My family stayed at this B&B for 3 nights in late May 2013 while relocating from the lower 48 to Alaska. We had been on the road for about 2 weeks and needed a place where our two year old, our golden retriever and my wife & I could relax, feel at home and recuperate for a couple days while we explored the Whitehorse area at a leisurly pace. Eva and Emile, their family and their staff met our needs- they were welcoming, easy going and made us feel at home! The grounds and home were wonderful, with plenty of space to roam around or be lazy on the terrace or back deck. The outdoor hot tub is perhaps the most comfortable one I have ever used!

Room Tip: The Cappucino Suite had a very comfrotable king bed, a comfrotable pull out queen (or double, I am n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Hidden Valley B & B for four nights in early February while we conducted business in Whitehorse. We both have visited the Yukon several times and here is what stood out for us. Eva and Emile have run a variety of businesses in Whitehorse for 45 years and represent the spirit that is common to Yukoners: entrepreneurial, friendly, easy going, helpful and down to earth. Consequently we both felt very comfortable making ourselves at home in their large, lovely house that is filled with local art and memorabilia . One of the best features of Hidden Valley is the location. The B&B in on acreage with patches of boreal forest, a horse paddock and expansive, beautiful views of the Takhini River Valley. At night, all you can hear is the rustle of the wind in the trees. Eva is accomodating about breakfast time. We ate between 8:30 and 10:30 depending upon the wishes of our neighbouring guests who were intent on staying up for the aurora borealis. I was on a strict diet when we visited and Eva went the extra mile without asking by boiling my ham before frying it without oil - very nice touch. The regular breakfasts varied every day and my partner said they were delicious. The hot tub is also noteworthy. It is secluded, well insulated and stays warm on a cold Yukon night. The cover hangs on a spring-action arm so you can replace it quickly and easily with the swing of one hand which is a blessing in a cold breeze. The only warning I have is that the Ivory Room has an eave outside the bathroom window. Eva took to calling me "Sparky" near the end of our stay because I would show up early for breakfast. You'll be "Sparky" too if your partner can resist the temptation to repeatedly reach out the bathroom window, break an icicle off the eave and stick it down the back of your pants while you're shaving. Stay here if you want to experience the spirit of the Yukon through location, atmosphere and knowledgeable, friendly hosts.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ivory Room because it has an ensuite bathroom. The bed is very comfortable and we...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Thanks Eva for going out of your way to make a special anniversary dinner for us - it was delicious and beautifully presented. The after dinner drink and coffee capped off the wonderful evening.
The view from our room was spectacular; we just sat their chatting the afternoon away enjoying the vista and the setting sun.
Thanks again for opening your lovely home to us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Skagway, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a great overall experience at the Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast. Here’s a nutshell of our impressions:

The Place: This place is all about location. Drive 10 min out of the hustle and bustle of town and find yourself in a homey comfortable environment, with quite nature all around, good people, and a hot tub under the pines to relax in at the end of the day. What more could you ask for in a tri to the Yukon.

The Room: We stayed in the Cappuccino suite. Excellent views! Very homey feeling and tastefully decorated. The bed was HUGE and quite comfortable. Firm, but in a good kind of way. I have some lower back problems and this is the ideal mattress for back health. The pillows we’re large and puffy, the kind you can sink into. A nice luxurious sleeping experience for sure! No complaints between me and my girlfriend who had just arrived from Sweden.

Meals: Eva and her husband have a really nice almost commercial kitchen they basically give you free rain to which is a nice plus. The breakfasts looked and smelled delicious, however due to my gluten and dairy allergy I had to stick to boring old oatmeal. Sara say’s breakfast was “tasty, hearty, and filled her up.” Coffee was good and strong as well.

The People: Eva was very generous with us. Se let us check in VERY early for our room due to our travel situation, and because someone was already in the room we reserved during the earlier part of the day before what would have been a normal expected check in, she up graded us to the cappuccino suite for no extra charge. She was a nice lady and we both enjoyed chatting with her and getting to know her a bit during our stay.

Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The owners have created the first (almost) self-serve b and b. At least that was my definitely bizzare experience.
After making my booking, I said to the owner, Eva, who sounded very pleasant, that I was looking forward to meeting her. "Oh no, " she said, " I will be away on a hunting trip. She added that a neighbor would be looking after the place.
Only no one was around when I arrived. And no one would appear for another five hours. Meanwhile, I wanted to use the internet but did not have the security code. At one point, I made a brief call home to give the local telephone number (my cell phone as not working). My friend called back, but it was intercepted by the neighbor who explained that not only was she not there, neither was I.
Eventually, when she did arrive, the neighbor/house sitter proved to be a charming if frazzled woman. But it was clear she was overmatched. Not that it was her fault.
So what else is there to say about Hidden Valley. Well, the location is a big plus, outside the city. The grounds are very nice, with long-range views to the mountains. The inside is very tastefully done. And the breakfast served the next morning was ample and out of the ordinary.
Still, there were annoyances. Like the used soap in the shower and the absence of shampoo. I found the bed quite hard and the pillows the kind that could survive an elephant stepping on them and would still retain their shape.
Finally, just this thought: while some people stay in b and b's for the interaction with guests in the morning. I stay because I appreciate the advice I can get from the host about an unfamiliar area. Unfortunately, that was impossible because the owner was away hunting. And probably laughing the whole time because her establishment was full even in her absence.

Room Tip: The suite is the only room with a TV. However, the b and b does not have cable, so there is little c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
EvaYukon, Owner at Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
The comfort and happiness of our guests is always of prime concern. I am most appreciative for the opportunity to provide improved services wherever possible. Thank you for pointing out these discrepancies. There is definite room for improvement where the Wifi is concerned and we will make notification available in print in every room. Shampoo/conditioner, new toothbrushes, individual toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving cream and razors have always been available to guests should luggage go missing, which sometimes happens, and I have provided this service, free of charge, where I have denoted need. I will now put it in print in each room. The used soap was an oversight, should not have happened, and hopefully will never happen again. The complaint regarding the comfort of the bed is mystifying. It is a brand new king size bed, and virtually every guest has slept in it, has commented on the comfort of the bed and the quality of their sleep. We have Star Choice cable television available to our guests with 30-40+ channels, and the televisions work perfectly both in The Cappuccino Room and on the large screen TV in The Media Room. Perhaps there was some malfunction happening at that time? Henceforth I will put printed operation instructions on the remote TV controls.

It was very unfortunate the staff member, who tends the Bed and Breakfast in my absence, was not present when our house guest arrived. She was told early afternoon, and arrived later. He said early afternoon and arrived late morning. It appears to have been a breakdown in communication. I am deeply apologetic for any inconvenience this may have caused him and have made a point of drawing this review to the attention of my staff. Thank you for taking the time to comment and for the opportunity to improve services at The Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast.
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I recently visited the Hidden Valley Bed & Breakfast run by Eva & Emile. It was my first visit and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the home and the property. The flowers were gorgeous and I wanted to sit on their large deck for a while just to take it all in. The home was lovely and my room was immaculate and very comfortable. I left my blind open so the view of the beautiful mountains and woods would greet me when I woke up.
Eva prepared a delicious breakfast for me that varied every day. It always had a little pansy added. Which I could eat if I wished.
They were helpful with telling me things that would be of interest to see me in the Whitehorse area.
enjoyed meeting their family and their dogs. It felt like I was at home. Emile was even kind enough to drive me to the airport as I had no other way to get there.
Would I return? Yes in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Eva was a fantastic hostess who provided all that we needed and more when it came to breakfast. I stayed there for three nights with three of my children and we were all very pleased with the quality and variety of breakfasts provided. The house and property are gorgeous in a picturesque mountain valley setting.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hidden Valley Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!