“A very tired hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Mount Forest, Canada
“A very tired hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel twice and would not return. Outside it was 27c and our room had no A C ! The lobby carpeting has more furrows than a farmers field! On our second visit, we had been downgraded ! Until, we raised a minor ruckus...well too bad. ,!enentually , they reduced our rate when the front desk knew I was really irritated. We will never return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Port Moody, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is old and has not been renovated. carpets are all wavy and in a very poor shape, both in the common areas and in the rooms. Most of the rooms have no air conditioning. Washrooms are old and in poor shape. whirlpool bath tubs are not functional and there is no plug in the bath tubs, so forget to take a bath.
When checking in, they forgot the old, dirty towels in the washroom from the previous client.
Very noisy all day and all night, people walking and talking loud in the hallways permanently. Very bad noise insulation on the doors.
Internet, like in most of the hotels in Whitehorse, totally sucks. The speed is acceptable, but it keeps disconnecting every few minutes, and it keeps asking you to push the "accept" button on and on. This makes any attempt to work on the Internet from your room impossible, so if you go to Whitehorse for work, or if you need acceptable Internet connection. Avoid this hotel.
For the big price you pay, they should be providing a super high speed Internet and new carpets and renovated washrooms in every room. It's a rip off!.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, the second week of June. Check in at reception was very efficient. I was pleased to see that a computer was available to use on each floor. Since I was traveling with a bad leg, this was very convenient for me. We ate in the pub the first night and we had terrific service. Loved the borsch and ribs. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Sorry, hit the swimming pool button by mistake. I have no idea if this hotel has a swimming pool or...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Business visit. I booked a room plus a conference room. Both were incredibly hot. There is no air-con at this hotel. The conference room was low-ceilinged, hot, and the tablecloths weren't ironed, had not even been folded - they had been rolled in a ball out of the dryer. They were too short for the tables and no skirting for the tables either. No water jugs on the tables - water cooler and plastic cups in the corner. It was super-hot and looked like crap and it was $150 for 2 hours. Not going back.

Room Tip: No air-con in the rooms, and it was about 30 degrees. Two small windows, only one of which opened. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Youngstown, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel is not an 5 star hotel, but I would not expect that in a place like Whitehorse. It was comfortable and charming in its own way. I would recommend it.

I was on a tour of 42 people. When we arrived they had all the rooms ready and got our luggage to our rooms promptly. The staff was very nice and helpful. We ate at the attached restaurant that night (actually in the bar area) and it was good food. They have a local brewery there and I strongly recommend the beer. It was excellent. It is an easy walk to the riverfront which we really enjoyed. I was with an older lady and the walk to downtown was kind of far for her. It was at least 15 minutes. But, there is a Starbucks. That is a plus for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Juneau, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Got into white horse about 1100 am-tried to check in(was told it would be ok when I booked the room) I was told to come back in two hours which I did. Still I could not check in-room not ready. I finally got checked in after 5pm. All the other people got to check in early. I did not get the group rate and the price given to me when I left. The room was so hot(even with the heat off). I had a fan on and would have to open a window which then the room would get cold. Then I would close the window-would get hot. I would leave the curtains closed and the fan on when I left the room only to come back with the fan off and the curtains wide open. It was a sauna.

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

you wont go wrong staying at this hotel. friendly and helpful staff. good food. great bar to meet up with locals. good location with a 10 min walk to the downtown action. overall a wonderful hotel to enjoy all that this Yukon city and surrounding area has to offer

Room Tip: upgrade yourself from a standard room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Coast High Country Inn? Share your experiences!