“Basic, Clean Room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Ottawa, Canada
“Basic, Clean Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The room was very basic and it was a bit worn, but it was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. However, the building is quite dated, but that appears to be the norm among hotels in Whitehorse.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I was here for four nights and was very happy with my stay. The room was large and clean. I had a kitchenette in my room and a jacuzzi bath (which I didnt try out). The bed was comfy, and there was plenty of room for my case and other assorted clutter.
The internet worked well and the staff were helpful and friendly.
The breakfast was Ok - nothing very special, but acceptable.
The bar / restaurant area was friendly and good place to hang out.
What really impressed me was how helpful and friendly they were - i had a problem that I needed some help with (nothing to do with them) and they were very helpful and got it sorted.
When I am next in Whitehorse (which is a great place - i loved it) i'd be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

With one exception, a flawless stay. The High Country, with one exception, has excellent and service oriented staff. The staff on the front desk in the evening are superb and always willing to help. They were quick to tell me that they were breaking in a new WiFi system and if I had a problem to simply call the front desk. Sadly nobody told the day staff at the front desk that service is important. When I got kicked off the WiFi 15 minutes before a deadline to email a report, the woman at the front desk said i had "used up" my 250 MB per day and so there was nothing she could do. I pointed out that since I was there for three days I should have the ability to use 750 MB and could I please have another password. After a most unpleasant discussion she gave me another password. After I had sent my email I returned to the front desk to relate the fact that the evening desk clerk had told be that users were getting told they had used the 250 MB in error and that there was a glitch in their new, week-old system for WiFi. She acknowledged that this had been a problem - no apology - nothing. It was a completely unnecessary power play by the front desk staff that tainted an otherwise wonderful stay. The food in the lobby restaurant (the Morelle) is good, creative and moderately priced. The hotel is a short walk from Main street and very close to a fabulous Mexican restaurant (Cantina Sanchez). I was so disappointed by the surly treatment I received from the Front Desk. My only hope is that management will read this and point out that courtesy and service (which is freely provided after 5:00pm) should be available to guests throughout their stay.

Room Tip: Tell the staff when you check in what is important to you (quiet, big bed, jacuzzi) and they will wo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Whitehorse is a long way from major centres. Everything must be trucked in so luxury items in hotel rooms is rare. For a northern hotel it is quite good. The room I had was fairly basic, but I did get a good price. The amenities were motel style but more than adequate. Second hand reports on several other properties led me to be quite grateful to being staying here. But really, if you are expecting big city hotels and conveniences why travel all the way to Whitehorse in the first place. Be sure to spend your time outdoors exploring -- it's great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sterling, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband, our 2 senior citizen dogs, and I have now stayed at this hotel each of the last 3 years on our spring & fall trips between Alaska & Florida. It is a bit of a splurge for us but we love the hotel and the staff have ALWAYS been unfailing polite and helpful..never more so than this June 2012 when I left my handbag at Tim Hortons in Whitehorse after we checked out of the hotel. A nice person turned it in, but Tim Horton's had no ability to mail it to me in Alaska where I was when I discovered I had left it. In desperation, i called Nicole whom I had met the night before at the front desk when we checked in..she sent a driver to retrieve my bag from Tim Horton's, and express mailed it to me in Alaska. I was not even a client at the time she did this! I will never forget her kindness and helpfulness..This woman definitely deserves a raise..and the entire staff has always been great to work with.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you need! If they have it, they will try to make it happen for you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Although this hotel was expensive for us, it was worth it. We got use out of the fitness room, watching tv on the treadmills, although it was a bit hot. The bed was huge! There was enough room for my husband, me, and our cat. The staff were always pleasant. We did some laundry while staying there which was fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights in March 2012. It has a nice homey feel to it, whilst still being a professionally run establishment. The room was spacious, the bed gave me an excellent night's sleep, housekeeping kept it immaculate. The restaurants on premises provide good food. The hotel is close to the river, which is great and scenice, and a short walk from Main St, which is also convenient. A lot of tours pick up direct from the hotel - extremely useful. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the airport transfer is very useful. If in Whitehorse again, I would absolutely stay here again without thinking twice about it.

Stayed March 2012

Been to Coast High Country Inn? Share your experiences!