“Taste of Yukon Expedition through Holland America” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Muktuk B&B and Cabins

You added Muktuk B&B and Cabins to your Saves list
Muktuk B&B and Cabins
Box 20716 Off of Alaska Hwy Kilometer 1442.5, Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 7A2, Canada   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnetka, California, United States
“Taste of Yukon Expedition through Holland America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was my second trip to Muktuk. Frank is the most genuine man in the Yukon. What a gem of a musher. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit even though we did not get to run the dogs to the Yukon River due to rain and mud. Frank narrated a Yukon Quest video for us which I found extremely enlightening with Franks keen observations and analysis of that years race. Then Frank turns us loose in the kennels to visit with all the awesome sled dogs who run the Quest.

It is definitely a place for people who love dogs.

The Taste of Yukon Dinner was FABULOUS. Thank you Kevin for preparing such a lovely meal for us.

This second trip was me dragging my wonderful husband along, who had a fabulous time, to try and rally him around the Rookie Musher Ranch plus 1. He is an avid cyclists and thought perhaps he could go off snow biking on his Surly while I am hanging with the dogs. Anyway, I am not waiting for the green light from my husband. I am in the process of booking the Rookie Musher Ranch plus 1 on my own. It may be something I do every year for my birthday.

Learning to be a musher is beyond my wildest dreams to come true and Frank Turner can make that happen. I plan to be a beta member of the Muktuk Pack hanging with the pups they assign to be my sled dogs as soon as this Winter season. Why wait? I am not getting any younger.

If you love sled dogs and the Yukon then this the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Absolutely loved our experience. We stayed in the small bedroom in the main lodge. It was lovely, comfortable and very clean. The staff are incredible, diverse and so welcoming - probably the best part. We woke up to the smell of pancakes and bacon coming from the kitchen on our first morning - how can you beat that?

The dogs are also amazing. So many, but so friendly and safe. I've read a few reviews that have less positive thoughts on the dogs - I think you just have to put some thought in to the kind of experience you want to have, and that these are working dogs, not pets - to me, it was amazing to see them, and to see all the retired or unwell dogs that were also housed at Muktuk, not for any sort of profit, but only to give them a safe place to live. It is abundantly clear that everyone around is a dog lover. No doubt, 120 dogs can make noise but where else can you get that experience?

I felt welcomed, felt that I got ample advice on how to have an amazing Yukon experience and met people from around the world. My preference for travel is backpacking and anything that feels close to nature, and I couldn't have found a more peaceful, relaxing, nature centered experience. Muktuk is a gem. I'd go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

During the summer time, Muktuk organize a very nice visit of their kernel and explain all details about the training of mushers and their dogs for the Yukon Quest (1,000 miles in February). It was a fantastic tour with all explanations how live their 120 dogs, their training and the equipment for the race. We had the chance to pet every dog and take a walk with them to the river. We had a very good lunch prepared by Mrs Turner and we had a very pleasant discussion with M. Frank Tuner who participated to 24 Yukon Quest races, a fame star in his domain. Thank you for their hospitality. Thank you also to our guides Melinda and Danielle for your kindness, good explanations and for their loves of the dogs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

If you are looking for pampering and luxury and an elitist place to stay, then Muktuk is simply not for you. But if you like a simpler life, getting closer to nature, want to "get away from the crowd", or are simply looking to experience a bit of the old Yukon, then this is a place you just have to visit.

It does provide B&B, does have self-catering cabins, and you can whittle away the hours relaxing on your own in the peace and serenity of one of the cabins dotted around this property. But it is ultimately a ranch for raising, enjoying and sledding with beautiful and amazing husky dogs. And this is where it excels.

Muktuk is run by a Whitehorse legend, Frank Turner, and his wife Anne. Frank has run in the 1,000 mile Yukon Quest sled dog race a record 24 times, winning once. He is so widely respected that Mushers in the 2013 race actually stopped, mid-race, for a little chat!

Frank's philosophies revolve around his dogs and the absolute necessity that they are treated wonderfully well. The area containing the ~140 kennels is scrupulousy clean, the animals are well fed and exercised, the older ones are allowed to "mooch" around inside - and they are all just soooo friendly. Their full range of personalities are on show, including those who are proud, shy, jovial or placid. The only thing they grumble about is the fat ravens who repeatedly try to steal their food! All dogs are keen for a pat or a cuddle, and if you're lucky then you might be able to take one back to your cabin where it will curl up on your bed for the night. And the excitement & noise they unleash when one of the older, untethered, "retired" dogs goes for a mischievous sprint through the kennels is something to behold - much like when a streaker races through a football crowd!

The staff are chosen because of their work ethic and affinity for the dogs. Up from 6am they are feeding, cleaning, cooking, running errands, collecting guests, fielding emails, or planning the teams of dogs that will take guests on their journey up the Takhini River. Those staying for several days might be joined by day visitors, and are kitted out in super warm clothing from your head to your toes - including the most extraordinary "bunny boots" which are an essential tool for daily life throughout winter. The staff are a mixture of paid and volunteer workers who typically come from many different countries, making for interesting conversation at the start and end of the day, as well as the chance to make new friends.

The conversations typically occur around the meals. While specific meals can be arranged, I recommend joining in with the staff, which guests are welcome to do. The meals are simple, wholesome, varied and voluminous. No one goes hungry! Guests must go first, but you can then wait for the staff, sit around the table with them, and learn more about them, the ranch, the Yukon, or, of course, the dogs.

The property is "off the grid", although a combination of generator, solar panels, gas and batteries provide adequate power. All of the cabins have pit toilets that must be used during winter, given water will freeze in the pipes. While this adds a unique twist to the experience of a midnight dash to the loo in minus 25 degrees, it is all part of the experience. The buildings are all wooden, some in the traditional log cabin manner, with rip roaring fires and a steady supply of wood. You can head off on snowshoeing treks around the property, guided or on your own, which provides some stunning views of the Takhini Valley or back over to the kennels and main lodge building.

But in the end, Muktuk is all about sledding and the dogs. It is such a thrill to be able to attach their booties, nervously wait as they are hooked up to the line, be taught about the brakes and how to control the tension in the line - and then you're off! The incredibly powerful dogs effortlessly and joyously accelerate up to their trotting pace of about 12kph, and then you just settle into a peaceful rythm of adjusting the pace, watching the dogs, or enjoying the outback splendour as you sled along the frozen river topped with a soft blanket of snow. And really, who couldn't be enthralled by that???

Room Tip: The dogs can obviously be noisy at times, so you might sleep better in the main cabin, "Shilo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I am a pet owner and though I don't often travel with my pet, appreciate it when businesses make it abundantly clear that they are pet-friendly. And so, when I saw the pet-friendly marketing all over Muktuk's website, I naively assumed that since it was a dog sledding business they would be extra-pet-friendly. I should have realized that a dedicated dog operation does not necessarily make dedicated accommodation service providers.

The staff was friendly enough, although I got the impression that only a very few of them were truly excited to be at work. It was very hard to get many of them to look you straight in the eye. That doesn't make for a very welcoming atmosphere.

As for pet-friendly: although we indicated on our reservation that we were traveling with a dog, it was not until I emailed them 2 days before arrival that they seemed to have noticed. As all their other accommodations were full they made an 'exception' for us to stay in the lodge as normally this was not part of their pet-friendly accommodations. At no time was it communicated that the reason for this is that there are retired sled dogs loose around the lodge. These former working dogs retain their pack mentality and so will be very agressive around new dogs. On our arrival, at least 6 of them aggressively surrounded our car when we opened the back tailgate to let our dog out. Noticing the agressive nature of their approach, I quickly closed it again and went inside where it was explained to me that I would have to give 10 minutes warning of our arrival/departure so they could get a staff member to pen the dogs. How pet-friendly is that!? Combined with the cacophony we set off every time we arrived/departed from the 100+ active dogs that were chained up infront of the lodge, it made for a very stressful experience for our pooch.

The accommodations were terrible. We booked in the 'large' room in the 'lodge'. On arrival it was explained to us that the 'lodge' was, in fact, Frank and Ann's home and that, while we were welcome to everything, we should 'please remember this' when using the facilities. As in: don't wreck anything or make too much noise. Well, we were traveling with our 3 year old, so you can guess how welcome that made us feel.

The shared bathroom, while clean, had no space for guest's toiletries as all of the flat surfaces were in use with the owner's stuff. I am not a person who is a fan of hotel soap, as I know how much of it gets wasted. However, I am also not a fan of sharing the owner's well-used bath and face soap. Fortunately, we traveled with our own.

The 'large' bedroom was anything but. It was advertised as having a queen bed (true) and a single. The single bed was actually a roll-away trundle that, when pulled out, used up basically all of the floor space remaining in the room. On our arrival, it wasn't even made up. The mattress on the queen bed was terrible, the trundle only mildly better. Also, there are no blackout blinds in the room, making it difficult to create decent sleeping conditions given it was 24 hour daylight.

As part of our reservation we signed up for the hot breakfast. It seemed a reasonable deal at $12/adult and something slightly less for the child. As there were no cabins available (our preference), we thought this would be easiest. On arrival, we decided to downgrade one of the days to a cold breakfast (think it was $9). Anyway, don't waste your money on the hot breakfast upgrade. It got us 4 soggy pieces of French toast (that's total, not each) and some cold, very weirdly seasoned hashbrowns.

There was also the option to sign up for dinner, which we didn't do at first. However, on our arrival night was saw a couple eating a delicious looking meal called "Taste of the Arctic". It had fish, game and other meats. It looked so go that, on the spot, we told them we'd like the same for our second night. Well, there was a major communication breakdown and for the ridiculous price of $25 per person, we got fish that was clearly off and what I think were the hashbrowns from breakfast rewarmed with additional seasoning. Turns out we were given the staff meal as that's what they had understood we had requested the night before. When we complained they agreed to discount our meal slightly and not charge us for the glass of wine that my wife had to request.

Anyway, all of this summed up to give us the strong impression that the accommodation side of the business was there to subsidize the dog sledding. The retired and active working dogs looked exceptionally well cared for and I'm sure that dog-sled tours around the trails on the property are a blast. Just don't go there expecting to be treated as anything but a beta member of the pack.

One final note: I don't recommend this place for children under 7 or 8. Shortly after arriving we met Frank. I was outside with my daughter getting something from the car. She stumbled on something and very nearly fell. When he saw this he warned us to tell her not to cry, scream or otherwise express fear/weakness if she hurt herself as the dogs' (both those that were chained and ones they leave loose around the lodge) instincts would take over and they would attack her. I understand that his advice was given with best of intentions, but had I known this kind of information ahead of time, I would have given serious thought to booking.

Room Tip: Take a cabin away from the lodge
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Edison, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great stay. Was interesting to talk with Frank. You couldn't ask anythink more of the staff. They went out of their way to be helpful, even carried our heave bag upstairs for us after I insisted we could handle it. Owner Frank and his wife had an anniversary date that night and left us in charge of the staff. Boy did the staff come through.
We had supper there. The main menue was fish served buffet style. Guests go though first and get their fill before staff is allowed to go through. The potatoes were to kill for.
Breakfast was agian buffet style consisting of several beards for toasting, different cereals for toasting, assorted oatmeal coffee, tea and juice.
Ther was a mixup on the reservation. We had rooms at main lodge and a cabin booked and they didn't know what we wanted. They had moved guest out of the cabin for the night incase we needed the cabin. We opted for the rooms at the main lodge. The rooms were comfoprtable and clean.
We were traveling with my 85 year old parents that have mobility issue. They cabin that we saw and main lodge rooms are not handicapped accessable for someone that is completely wheelchair bound.This is not to say that they don't have cabins that will accommodate handicapped person.
Beside the 100 dogs that are in the kennels there are several dogs that run free. All the dogs are very friendly. If you hate dogs, this would not be the place for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Frank and Ann at Muktuk are truly amazing people! They are helpful, interesting and full of laughs. We traveled as a large school group and they did everything possible to accommodate the 17 students and 3 supervisors. We stayed in two cabins and the main guest house; the rooms were clean and well appointed. Muktuk is off the grid so expect to reduce your water and power usage but all your needs are met. Mandela created great home cooked meals and the desserts were amazing!

Frank is the only Canadian Yukon Quest winner and now has a rescue kennel for sled dogs; be sure to spend some time with the 140+ dogs on the property. Hopefully, old Cotter, Shiloh and Stanley are all still there. Make sure to take time to learn how to handle a dog sled and listen to Frank’s stories of his Yukon Quest adventures.

Room Tip: The Swiss cabin is beautIful!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Muktuk B&B and Cabins? Share your experiences!