“Great modern hotel in Whitehorse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SKKY Hotel

You added SKKY Hotel to your Saves list
SKKY Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   91622 Alaska Highway, Whitehorse, Yukon Yukon Y1A 3E4, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Whitehorse
Vancouver, Canada
“Great modern hotel in Whitehorse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Located right across the street from YXY, and short 4min drive to downtown Whotehorse. Doesn't look like much from the exterior, but inside SKKY hotel is clean and modern. Service is pleasant and rooms are clean and comfortable. My room had an out of control thermostat that wanted 28c despite a 21c set point, but I was able to regulate the temp and get some fresh air with an open window. Great little restaurant with a nice atmosphere and great food and wine at reasonable prices, but only one server. Fortunately the food was worth the wait. SKKY is definitely a place I will stay again - good balance of location, value, modern atmosphere and friendly service.

• Stayed February 2013
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and we are happy to hear you would stay with us again, which would very much please us. I am sorry about the heating issue you experienced. Our hotel has radiant floor heating, which is healthier and more environmentally friendly. But, if a previous guest has turned up the heat high, the floor slab will be quite hot and will take some time to cool down. Opening a window is the best remedy and will quickly cool off the room, with the added benefit of providing you fresh air (by the way, the air in Whitehorse is ranked the cleanest of any city in Canada and one of the cleanest in the world). We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at Skky in August 2012 for a few days. The room was very comfy, but modern and well appointed. The service was amazing too, especially the front desk. I've been to other hotels in Whitehorse and this is by far the best one. The interior is newly renovated and updated with very comfortable mattresses. Most importantly, the hotel is extremely clean and the staff super friendly - they go out of their way to accomodate you any way they can.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our stay and found the hotel to be to your liking and the staff as well. We take particular pleasure in hearing positive comments about our excellent staff. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Whitehorse.
Whitehorse, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We've stayed at Skky Hotel twice now. The first time was a bit of a disaster, but the staff tried their best to fix the problem. It was about -30 outside and there was no hot air coming out of the vents in our room, so it was freezing. With a toddler, it was not a good situation because it was too cold to give her a shower, etc. Called the front desk, they didn't have any portable heaters but they sent someone to Walmart to pick one up. It worked well, but due to the timing, it forced us to put our daughter to bed about an hour late. But I think they did their best, given the circumstances. The second visit was great, we just stayed there this week and (for the second time) the food at the hotel restaurant was superb.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for the kind comments. I am sorry about the heating issue you experienced during the minus 30 cold spell on your first stay and we are happy that you enjoyed your second stay. In addition to puchasing a number of space heaters as a back up measure, we are having the heating system reviewed so that there will be no future issues on the next cold spell.

We look forward to hosting you again so that we can can confirm your view that we are the best hotel in Whitehorse. Thank you again.
Inuvik, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Right across the highway from the airport, which is SO convenient. Wonderful rooms, modern and clean, and the bathroom was amazing. Comfortable mattresses, friendly staff, easy to navigate halls. I found the TV in the room to be comically small, looked like a computer monitor, but I wasn't watching television so it didn't impact me. I wouldn't stay here in winter, as it's too close the the airport for taxis or a shuttle (that I know of!) but it would be a bit of a hike when your suitcase wheels get jammed with snow.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about the Skky Hotel. We are the newest and most modern hotel in Whitehorse and it is always a pleasure to hear from a guest who has appreciated staying with us.

You are the first person that has spoken to the size of the TV's and we do have larger TV's in the Executive Suites. We also have some standard rooms with larger TV's, as I prefer a larger TV myself and we have been slowly replacing all TV's with larger screens.

There is a free airport shuttle, both winter and summer, so you can use such and do not have to worry about taking your luggage across the street from the airport to our hotel. Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to provide your feedback.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have stayed in Whitehorse on business many times and when you combine location to the airport, newness of the facilities, cost, amenities and friendliness of the staff. The Skky hotel is my first choice for all my business stays.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very happy that you feel that way and look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Whitehorse. Thank you for staying with us.
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just got back from Whitehorse on buissness, and I wanted to write this review so that I could save you all a bunch of time if your looking for the right place to stay in Whitehorse. I travel to Whitehorse frequently, and have stayed at all of the hotels in town. Without a doubt this hotel has the nicest, cleanest, and most up to date rooms in the area. There literally is no other option if your looking for the best rooms in the city. Moreover; the staff and managment always exceed my expectations of excellent service. They genuinely care about their guests. Not in a corny "have a nice day" way, but in a sincere fashion that makes you feel at home. thanks so much SKKY for making my stay exceptional.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I have passed on your comments to our staff and thank you very much for taking the time to provide such. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Whitehorse and we are pleased that you choose to stay with us.
Ucluelet, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I actually lived in Whitehorse for 3 years, 2007-2010 and remember the hotel being refurbished.

My arrival time was incorrectly recorded by their receptionist so asked to be given a room as I arrived a couple of hours early, they accomodated me. Great! The problem is they forgot to mention that my rate would be bumped up $15.00, not so great.

I stayed on the bottom level and like one other customer mentioned could not control the heat, it seems a common problem in the arctic that the rooms are always too hot. Go figure!

I asked for the airport shuttle for my flight in the morning and was assured it would be there, after 10 minutes past the shuttle arrival time had passed I checked with the receptionist. Sorry we forgot to call them! They did correct the problem and promptly called a taxi, they also paid for it at my insistence.

My company pays for my accommodation so the money doesn't bother me, it's the principal. There were no apologies or any attempt to appease my discontent with the inconveniences they causes me. They have a fair amount to learn about customer service, it is fixable.

I would stay there again, but definitely not be my first choice. I sincerely hope they can fix their customer service deficiencies. The hotel has the potential to be great.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
catsandcool, Guest Relations Manager at SKKY Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you experienced issues with our front desk staff. I appreciate you taking the time to write about such and we are addressing this forthwith with the particular staff involved as this is not acceptable. In past we have received numerous great reviews about the friendliness, helpfulness, and professionalism of our staff and we will address the issues you have raised to ensure that such will be the case in the future. I thank you again for your review and hope you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide a better customer service experience.

Been to SKKY Hotel? Share your experiences!