“Great Authentic Jamaican Food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 549 Restaurants in Saskatoon
Saskatoon
“Great Authentic Jamaican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Recently 6 of us visited this great little hidden gem! Great atmosphere with Jamaican music playing lightly in the background. The husband and wife owners were genuinely friendly and welcoming. I felt like we were being treated as if we were in their own home. We started with a few tropical drinks which took a bit of time, because they were freshly blended and not out of a slurpee type machine. Well worth waiting. We tried a Trinindad beer, called Carib, a great beer! Light, smooth & crisp. They also had Jamaican Red Stripe. Both were chilled great and tasty. Before our meal, we were served delicious Johnny Cakes to dip in our wonderfully hearty homemade pumpkin soup (creamy with fresh dill) I was already in heaven. I was lucky enough to go on a day that they have the pork rib special. I was tipped off by a co-worker, who has been several times, that I must try the ribs, If I had the opportunity, because they were so good. So I lucked out, and I had my mind made up before even looking at anything else on the menu. I really think these were of the best Pork Back Ribs that I have ever had. Others in our party had the Jamaican Jerk Chicken, Sweetfire Chicken, Shrimp Creole, Spicy Peanut Shrimp & Curry Shrimp. I sampled a bit of all of the above and they were all delicous as well. Everyone was very contented by the delicious fare. I am anxious to return and try other items on the menu. What a husband and wife team! Behind the scene, The wife prepare this great food, obviously taking the special time and effort to make things so delicous and the husband makes the same special effort, hospitably meeting, charming and keeping everyone contented on the front lines. He took time to chat with us, tell us about where he had been and how he had started and after our great meal, he served us a specially prepared jamaican shooter. And as we were leaving, the wife part of this team, had time for a a sit-down break and we also got to Thank her and tell her that we really enjoyed her food. One disapointment was, missing out on the Key-Lime pie that I had heard was so yummy. He apologetically told us that they were out of the key lime pie before we asked for it and graciously offered us some fresh strawberry's lightly drizzled with creamy Jamaican Rum to make up for it. After experiencing such a wonderful Dinner, he was completely forgiven. And It gives me a reason to have to visit again. I recommend this great little place!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Very genuine and friendly place,laid back. Good food and service,reasonably priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008