“Prairie version of a Louisiana flavoured experience” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Saskatoon
“Prairie version of a Louisiana flavoured experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Décor is designed to give you the feeling of being in New Orleans, and the menu supplements that overall goal. This is a social place, not a private business meeting place. Expect it to be loud after 6 PM with the business crowd coming in to hang out. Upbeat and happy atmosphere. I've been here twice now, this time I had the blackened chicken and it met my expectations. This is a great place to have lunch as well, their lunch menu works for budgets. Nice to see service and food served in a timely manner when they were as busy as they were. I don't think I can put this up there as a high quality restaurant and dining experience, but it is good - and it is definitely worth trying out of you like your Cajun food!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Saskatoon, Canada
“Fun vibe, so-so food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went on a Friday evening and there was about a 30-minute wait for a table. It's a great space, with New Orleans murals and an original brick wall, and an energetic noisy atmosphere. Unfortunately we got a blast of cold air at our table every time the front door opened. The hush puppies were good, and I had a half dozen raw oysters which were very fresh, but also very small and expensive. My seafood Creole was OK, but the Creole sauce was a bit pasty and the rice overcooked and unsalted. My partner's muffaletta was fishy-tasting and inedible, due to the overpowering flavour of the anchovies in the olive salad. (One more gripe, which applies to a lot of restaurants: is it really necessary to charge $9 for a small glass of wine that is $12 a bottle retail?) So, overall, our meal here was kind of a mixed bag.

• Visited November 2013
Saskatchewan
“Overall very good but food quality needs a bit more consistency”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had lunch with friends on a Saturday. I was immediately impressed by the decor and vibe of the place, very fun atmosphere. Servers were attentive and friendly. I had the gumbo which was quite good (a meal on its own for small eaters), and the jambalaya which was just ok (pretty bland for a Cajun restaurant!). We also tried the catfish special, which was very yummy, but better suited to an appetizer as it was cooked in a sweet sauce which got to be a bit too much sweet flavour by the end. So overall the food was good but not great.
I would recommend this restaurant for the experience, it's a good place to take out of town guests as I hear they have bands that play on the weekends. Book ahead and bring a group for the "boil" where they literally dump the seafood on your table. I haven't tried it but I heard it's fun.

• Visited September 2013
Saskatoon, Sk.
“Bon Temps is literally a good time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Bon Temps Cafe last night. The place is consistently busy, so we had a wait time to get in, and the hostess took our name and number so that we could go and enjoy a beer next door. Sure enough, our table was ready in the time we were promised, and it was certainly worth the wait. Bon Temp is a good time, from the friendly staff, to the lively music and decor, a place you will want to visit with a group. This is one of those placed where the food was a solid 4.5 out of 5, but the intangibles all added up to give you that truly satisfied feeling. We had Prawns Remoulade, and the sauce was great! For our mains it was Pon Pon chicken and Blackened scallops. which were both excellent. I had the pleasure of a top notch bourbon, one that is impossible to find anywhere else. Also, the butter pecan cheesecake for desert was nice. The bill was far less that we had anticipated for a meal of this calibre, and our server, Cat, was among the best we've ever encountered! Very pleased with this meal, and want to go back and try the Cajun Spice Boil with friends!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Will definitely go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Went in on Friday around 5:30 pm...no wait to get in. Our server was excellent she went through a few of the menu items & made some excellent suggestions. My husband was a bit disappointed in the beer selection but the Caesars ordered were awesome! We started with the hush puppies & they were very yummy. Our meals were excellent, my meal was the blackened chicken, it was moist, very tasty, a very large serving. My hubby had the scallops and was very happy with how they were cooked, done perfect for his pallet.... Crispy on the outside & translucent & full of flavour on the inside. Other friends ordered the pecan chicken & a po'boy. They were both very happy with their meals. Ambiance was great. Will definitely go back!

• Visited September 2013