“Nice Change” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Nice Change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We came here on a Saturday night as a walk-in and the place was full. Located in the old Golden Dragon building in Riversdale, the décor has an eclectic mix of furnishings and a big city feel about it. The menu is small with a very unique selection of dishes that are made from ingredients found locally and around Saskatoon.

My husband and I dined with another couple and we each had a different dish - Butternut Squash Ravioli, Steelhead Trout, Grains and Pulses, and Scallops with Root Cellar Winter Vegetables (dinner special). The presentation of each dish was lovely and the unique mix of ingredients and flavours made for a fabulous meal.

The only complaint was my husband felt the portion of his trout was too small and he was left feeling not totally satisfied.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Kelowna, Canada
“Just simply groovy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

OK. So I like to give good people my business.... But not if they don't deserve it. These young people put their heart and soul into everything and it shows! From the music... to the excellent service (hey our gal remembered our champagne and FRESH OJ and brought it straight away) and the FOOD is outta this world.

Go for any meal. It's all simply splendid. Everything more than home made. BEST poutine I have EVER had.... IF a mistake is made (OK ONCE overcooked eggies) it is fixed right away. Brunch, wow. FRESH OJ. Such a difference.
I would only suggest tablecloths on the table and cloth napkins to warm it up a tad. Ya costs them money but it is worth it. The setting isn't perfect and that touch would warm things up ever so slightly. We will be back a million times!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A Fresh Take on Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Hollows, located in the old Golden Dragon building in Riversdale, adds a fresh take on food, to the dining scene in Saskatoon. The menu changes often, and tries to use locally sourced ingredients, whenever available. The food is very flavourful and the portions are the perfect size, so that you can easily enjoy a 2-3 course dinner and feel satiated. I look forward to trying out their brunch menu next, as I am sure it will not disappoint!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saskatoon, Canada
“Nice addition to Riversdale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been to The Hollows twice for brunch, and have been quite satisfied with my experiences. They have kept a lot of the decor from the previous restaurant, the Golden Dragon. To me it is kitschy and fun and I rather like it, unlike the previous reviewer. As for the food, I thought it was very tasty. I've had both the French toast and the quiche. The portions were generous and the prices, while a little more than average, were commensurate to the quality. Service was attentive and friendly, and we weren't kept waiting for our food overly long. I enjoyed The Hollows and I will return again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saskatoon
“Much Ado About Nothing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This restaurant has been lauded as the next best thing in Saskatoon and it sadly disappointed. We went for a business lunch last week and first impressions that nothing in the old Golden Dragon Restaurant had changed in the last 25 years - okay, maybe they're going for the nostalgic kitschy look...we'll get back to that later. A very very small menu with a extremely limited lunch selection - reuben sandwich, mac and cheese, soup of the day, a few more items. We decided on the mac and cheese with bacon and my companion had the reuben sandwich with soup (cauliflower). Mac and Cheese with literally one strip of chopped bacon on the top served in a small chafing dish was $17...really? Sandwich special was $14. I wouldn't mind paying this if the food had any flavor, but all I could taste was the white sauce. My grandmother's mac & cheese is way better. Soup was extremely bland too. Now you have to realize that this is in the reinvigorated River Landing area so I'm pretty darn sure the lease on this old building is dirt cheap (across from the Salvation Army), decorating and new dishes obviously were not a cost factor...so if you're going to charge uptown prices (uptown I mean Vancouver) your food better deliver. In short, save yourself the drive and visit one of the other downtown establishments or drive further to a different restaurant. The owners better step it up if they seriously want to be considered an upcoming trendy foodie restaurant.

• Visited November 2012