“Better is probably available” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Saskatoon

You added Sandman Hotel Saskatoon to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Saskatoon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Circle Drive West, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7L 2Y5, Canada   |
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Saskatoon
Calgary
“Better is probably available”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

If other hotels are booked up, you can make do with this one but there must be better. We stayed for 2 nights in October.

The room itself was very clean. Sink had a bad stain in it showing its age but clean nonetheless. Biggest complaint is that the air conditioning is shut down already in October. The room was very stuffy and warm. The window can be opened (slightly) but this lets in all the traffic noise from Circle Drive and from the hotel parking lot. As a result, we did not sleep well.

Wireless network is useless. We could not connect nor could our sister-in-law who also stayed here. Best solution is to use the service from the Country Inn next door which had a strong signal.

Toilet plugged easily - twice while there, but service to have it plunged was within minutes of our call.

If the price were $30 a night less I might be more forgiving in my evaluation but this simply was not good value for the money.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cowichan Valle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I have read the reviews about The Sandman in Saskatoon and was not sure if I wanted to stay there. I was here for 3 night and yes the hotel is looking a little worn but it is because of all the guest that stay here. My room was great the hotel was completely full but yet still quite. Anything I need the staff was all over it to help me out. I would stay here again anytime

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
regina canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Got a good rate off the internet for this hotel . A little awkward having to use your hotel door key card to use the elevator. Room was okay and had fridge and microwave and a large bathroom. Parking was poor as we like to be able to see our vehicle but alot of people using the parking lot and going to the bar on the back side of the hotel. Did not have the right name on our reservation and when checking out charged me $20 to much for the room and had to get that straightened out. Would stay again but only with a good rate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed in a suite for three nights which had a bedroom and livingroom area. Room was ok, very clean and quiet. Only issue was that for one of the nights my 6 foot 2 teenager stayed with us so we took the pull out and let him have the king bed. Wow, why can't they find a pull out couch that is comfortable?? Also, the air conditioning did not work throughout the room. Bedroom area was fine but the living room area was stuffy. I also felt that it was fairly pricy. (150 per night). Also, the Denny's was awful, messed up every order we placed. Refused to go there on day 3.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I'm a business traveler who stays in hotel ~140 to 160 nights per year.
I changed hotels from the Holiday Inn Express to try something different and what a mistake.
My room was right beside a maintenance room, so it made it that much smaller. A J Class Room on a cruise is bigger.
I had no desk to work on, had to use the bed, that they say is a Queen but is really a Double.
I went back to the front desk to ask to change rooms and the manager on duty Michelle said they had no other rooms. At 6:00 p.m. they were not able to move me, right,
Already have another sales guy from my office who booked here next month to cancel his room and to go back to old reliable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a few times for business over the past year and have always found it to be relatively clean and comfortable. It is relatively inexpensive and in a central location for my needs and the Shark Club is a great place to eat and drink.
I am always frustrated by the wireless internet that is always "not working right now" everytime I'm there. Being a business traveler this is extremely inconvenient. On two occassions I have been put in rooms with blurry tv's that hum extremely loud.
All in all, this is a typical Sandman property that is very focused on the appearance of the common areas and not concerned with room maintenance.
The staff are polite and deal with guests concerns well and help make the trip a little more enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Before I begin my diatribe against the Sandman in Saskatoon, I have to state that I am not a demanding traveller. All I ask for is a clean room at a reasonable price, and competent service.

I booked at the Sandman because it is close to the airport and offers a free shuttle. I booked 2 nights one week apart. I was arriving via the Saskatoon airport about midnight and leaving from the airport a week later on an early morning flight.

I arrived at the Saskatoon airport and called for a shuttle, but after waiting 25 minutes, I gave up and took a cab (the hotel paid). When I checked in, I booked the shuttle back to the airport for 9:45 next morning, to pick up my rental car for the week. I went down to the front desk a couple of minutes early to check out before taking the shuttle, to hear the clerk griping to the shuttle driver that I "hadn't bothered to come down". I approached and said "I think that's me you're talking about" and she proceeded to lecture me that I was late. Eventually it became clear that the shuttle runs on the half hour, so they expected me at 9:30. But the check-in clerk didn't tell me this.

The systemic failure became evident on my return visit a week later. This time, it took 2 calls from the airport and a 40 minute wait for the shuttle. I could have walked to the hotel in that time, in all seriousness. When I checked in, I noticed that they were charging me a higher rate than when I booked, which had also happened the week before. I managed to negotiate back to the booked price, but they would not make the correction for previous week's 1-night stay.

I looked forward to an early and relaxing night before my early-morning flight. I ordered room service and decided to iron some clothing while I waited. JUST before ironing my white shirt, I noticed that the iron was coated in black gunk. It looked like someone hot-waxed their skis with it. I abandoned that project and my room service arrived in a reasonable time. The delivery person was very nice. She left and I discovered that my order was not complete and I had no cutlery. I called room service and was put on hold for 5 minutes. I gave up and called again, and they didn't answer the phone. So, I took the elevator down and managed to find the Dennys restaurant. They could not find cutlery for me. They eventually dug out a box of plastic forks. So, 15 minutes later, I could enjoy my cold and congealed omelet au plastique.

I went down for my shuttle the next morning, again a little early. The front desk clerk told me she had ordered a cab, because she was the only one on duty and couldn't leave with the shuttle. She gave me the bill and I (perhaps too honestly) noted that room service was missing. She eventually straightened that out, the cab arrived and when I got in, I told him the hotel was paying, because it was in lieu of the free shuttle. He said the clerk should have given me a slip, so I went back in for it. The clerk expressed surprise that I expected them to pay for the cab, but grudgingly wrote out a slip for me.

So, for a fairly steep price (I paid $120/night), expect:
1. an unreliable shuttle
2. front desk clerks with attitude
3. a very standard, unremarkable room (e.g, old style bedding)
4. poor room service.

I for one, would avoid this hotel. They can get away with poor service because Saskatoon appears to be booming, and it is difficult to get a hotel. If you will be visiting the city, book early and book at the Holiday Inn Express, I would have gone there if it had not been fully booked already. Comparable price but you get a great breakfast, the staff are polite and competent and they have far fresher (modernized) rooms.

• Liked — location close to airport
  • Disliked — room and shuttle service poor
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sandman Hotel Saskatoon? Share your experiences!