“Unfortunately disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Senator Saskatoon

You added Hotel Senator Saskatoon to your Saves list
Hotel Senator Saskatoon
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   243 21st Street East | Downtown Saskatoon, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 0B7, Canada (Central Business District)   |
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Saskatoon
Gibsons, Canada
“Unfortunately disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I originally stayed here in January - sure, the pipes froze and the Wifi was unreliable, but I was charmed. I decided to stay again for four nights in March, and I wish I could give it a better review. I also wish I had booked elsewhere, or maybe insisted on a better room.

Pros
- great location
- staff is generally friendly and helpful
- Winston's, right downstairs, is nice
- comfortable bed

Cons
- Unreliable wifi connection. Unable to work for more than a few minutes at a time.
- Paid extra for a corner room, got room 110. Unfortunately, it was unpleasant. Had all Saskatoon hotels not been sold out, I would have moved rooms or hotels.
- Door does not lock unless slammed - each day, after housekeeping had been, I came back an unlocked room, despite telling front desk about it. Didn't feel safe.
- Strange loud noise every few minutes, maybe pipes from above?
- Heating is very loud, which is unfortunate because thin windows make the room very cold.
- Room is on the corner of main intersection, and above door to bar. Loud traffic and drunk people all night.

I really, really wish I could give this place a better review. I'm not a complainer, but I'm really disappointed with my stay. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I do not think the extra space in room 110 is worth the extra cost.

I think that this hotel is great if you are looking for an affordable and charming central hotel (and ask for a quiet room.) However, if I return to Saskatoon on business, I will be staying elsewhere as I could not depend on their facilities to work efficiently.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the parking lot
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were enjoying our time in Saskatoon, while on a trip across Canada, we stayed an extra day at Hotel Senator. It would be what I consider a boutique hotel, modest amenities, but a lot of charm. We wanted to try some wine we purchased at the Market (which is awesome) and they lent us crystal glasses from their restaurant. Did everything they could to help us enjoy our stay. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Prince Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I knew this hotel when all anyone could say about it was that it was time to go. Then came the renovations. Slowly but surely the hotel regained its glory of days gone by. There are still things to do, but for the location , price, checkout time, charm, restaurant, Winston's pub, you can't beat the Senator. The marble in the staircase and the way the hotel has a way of transporting a person back to its heyday of the early 20th century is great.
I have stayed in the smaller rooms, a suite and the corner room, which for my money is the one to get. Beds are comfortable. It is quiet ( unless you believe in ghosts) and has charm, lots of charm.
Parking is a little tight at the back, but then when this Hotel was built the horse and buggy were king.
If you need shiny , new chrome and no personality this is not the hotel for you. But if you want a great sleep, with history and charm at a great price, stay at the Hotel Senator, I do.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room overlooking 21st and 3rd.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is very old but it's been maintained over the years. Great downtown location!!! We stayed there for a Christmas party and it was great overall.
The location to downtown is perfect. Restaurants, shopping is only a short walk in any direction! Love this!
The rooms are older and small with some having newer tvs. But they were clean and well kept. I did notice some mold spots around the sink and in the tub. That was really the only downfall in the room.
Parking, well, that would be the other downfall. We parked on the street (free on weekends) but I did find out that there were a few spots in the back.
If you stay here you have to check out Winston's Pub (attached with a separate outside entrance) wonderful food and atmosphere!

• Stayed December 2012
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

A good hotel but quite old and as an air of having seen better days. My room was a bit cold but it was -5 outside. My room was very clean with a double bed, TV and adequate bathroom. A low rise hotel my room was on the 1st floor but it was pretty quiet. Handy for downtown Saskatoon, what there is of it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
hssaskatoon, General Manager at Hotel Senator Saskatoon, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for your review as we do appreciate all good and bad feedback for evaluation. We are constantly working on the hotel and just finished a 5 year upgrade of heating and air conditioning to a state of the art energy efficient closed loop heat pump system. I apologize if you experienced issues with your system while you stayed with us, and I hope you called to inform the desk, as we would have had it checked for you immediately. The dated and seen better days comment seems a bit unfair, as we have aggressively renovated all areas of the hotel, and are continually upgrading, as well as keeping the accommodation prices reasonable for downtown Saskatoon.

Thank you again for you business, as it is always appreciated, and safe travels!

Chris Beavis
Owner/Manager
Hotel Senator
Fanny Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We joined friends for a concert and they reserved the Senator which we had never stayed at but had been in their great bar. We had one of their non updated rooms which was clean, had fresh paint and good linens. The room was small and had an old bathroom which was clean but a little too quaint for my liking(I do not like separate faucets on the sink) toilet took forever too flush.
The heat was not consistent and the bathroom never did get any heat. The flat screen did not work that well. So having said all this why would I give it an average rating well it is because it is in a great location, right downtown, has one of the best old fashioned pub/bar's in Saskatoon, had a good checkout time (1:00 pm) reasonable price and was fine for a one night stay. I advised the staff of the shortfalls and they listened and they were polite enough. The Senator does have great character and we did appreciate the old architecture of the building but I would recommend looking at one of their upgraded rooms for any stay longer than one night.

Room Tip: look for a corner upgraded room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is in the very downtown part of Saskatoon, which is a great location.
The Hotel itself is very old in character but that has a certain charm to it and it was clean and my room freshened each day. There is a laundry on-site which I loved (including a free dryer!) but you may have to content with the hairdresser on premises during the day period for use.

Overall, my stay was pleasant however the service could do with a little bit of "pep"! When I left in the morning there was no thank you and have a nice trip as I departed. I simply paid and the gentleman called me a taxi. I was a bit shocked that there was no verbal goodbye and thank you as I departed. I did receive an email a day later from the manager Chris which I thought was excellent, but a verbal one at the time would have been nice also. Otherwise I thought the service was good.

On the negative, it was hard for me to feel safe in my room. The room opened with a simple key and when I closed the door behind me I couldn't actually tell if the door was locked or not. There was also no deadbolt on the door. I have recommended this change to management.

Rate wise, I would have preferred to pay less given the lack of security and the out-dated-ness of the room, but given the location the rate was fine.

The Winston pub attached to the hotel was EXCELLENT! Great food and service and a wide selection of drinks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Senator Saskatoon? Share your experiences!