“The Castle by the River Maintains it Charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Bessborough

Save Saved
You added Delta Bessborough to your Saves list
Delta Bessborough
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Spadina Crescent East, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 3G8, Canada (Central Business District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
$30 Off Club Floor Rooms
Ranked #7 of 32 hotels in Saskatoon
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“The Castle by the River Maintains it Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Readers are warned in advance that I love this hotel. I have been staying at the Bess (pronounced locally as the Bezz) for more than 30 years and remember when the pub on the ground floor (now long gone) was a favorite watering hole for beer and popcorn.

I have seen several iterations of this grand building and always try to stay there when in Saskatoon. The current Delta version has recently undergone an extensive renovation and IMHO they have done an wonderful job. The history and quaint majesty of the structure has been preserved while the hallways, rooms facilities have been brightened and modernized without affecting the style. The hallways were a bit dark, reflecting the style of the 1930s but the new renovations have really made them and the elevator foyers brighter and more modern. This has been done while preserving the wonderful old wood and brass of the period. You can still feel the spirit of the original edifice in the halls and rooms.

We had a standard room this time and the design and layout were great. Wall paper and coverings were new and bright but accented by the old mirrors of the grand age. The workspace was large and well appointed and the beds comfortable. The now antique bathrooms have been modernized while maintaining the tiles and sinks of the period.

The Japanese Restaurant on the ground floor has been a dining landmark for decades and worth a visit if you have not been there. Stovin's Lounge (named I believe after the first registered guest in 1935) is a great place for a drink or a light meal but it is small and finding a place when the hotel is full can be a challenge.

The fitness center, no longer part of Fitness Club, is well equipped and has a great view of the gardens.

Another recent advantage is that the parking lot which used to be open to non hotel guests as well is now limited to registered guests eliminating trying to find a place to park off site when the lot was full.

The staff were universally helpful, friendly and attentive.

For those not familiar with Saskatoon, the location provides easy walking to the downtown core and riverside attractions. Nice pubs and restaurants start literally across the street and the downtown mall is five blocks straight up the street from the main door of the hotel. For the joggers there is a wonderful trail along the river.

They don't make hotels like this any more and it is well worth a stay.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the river, provide a great view and in late June when the Jazz festival is on you h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Bessborough, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Brian G, Thank you for your wonderful and detailed review and thank you for sharing your observations with the TripAdvisor community.

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have to share what a great experience I had last week at the Delta Bessborough in Saskatoon. The staff go over and above to help you feel like family, very catering.

The Bell Boys are very helpful, and attentive. I had purchased a large garden figure for my daughter which I did not feel safe leaving in the car over night. The Bell Boys took the item and stored it plus found a box that the item could be put into for easier trasportation. I truly appreciated this extra step.

I love the warm greets for all the staff when you come and go.

Very clean rooms and the gym has had a major change since December, it is so clean and more organized with a glass wall separating the pool area from the gym allow the air flow to be cooler.

I highly recommend this hotel when staying in Saskatoon.

I am back for my second week.

Dodie

Room Tip: The location is wonderful you can just head out and find a great restuarant in walking distance. En...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dodie D, Thanks for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community! I'm thrilled that you recognize one of the key features of the new Fitness Centre; the separation from the pool which allows for a much better climate for working out.

Hope to welcome you back soon!

Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Beautiful Hotel, excellent location, normal rooms, but not very sound proof. The bed was excellent, room was clean, the employees very accommodating, but wow, we could hear everything. We had an adjoining room so I am not sure where the noise was coming from, but we could hear coughing, telephones ringing, and snoring all night long. It was so bad, I was ready to check out at 3:27am. I texted our other guest to see if they were awake and wanted to check-out, but she was sleeping soundly. She said she could hear someone singing but that put her to sleep. lol
The lack of sleep ruined the next day for us, we had to go home and go to bed. Walls are paper thin

Room Tip: We had room 353, very noisy. It wasn't street noise it was other room noise, walls are paper th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Bessborough, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Janice B, I am sorry to read that your sleep was disturbed. Having been built in the 1930 the walls of the hotel are terracotta block and plaster and certainly far more solid than what you would find in todays construction. Some rooms do adjoin and perhaps this was the issue.

regina, sk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at the Bez years before, I wasn't too sure what to expect with the new look. The rooms remain quite small but are modern, comfortable and well decorated. There really isn't a bad view from the hotel rooms either and you are close to many dining and nightlife options. Our room faced the front and we did find the Freehouse noise pretty overwhelming even from across the street. They do seem to try to keep out partners though and asked us to see our room card before we were allowed in the hotel late one night. It was borderline offensive but I assume it reduces hotel room parties. The Philosophy bathroom amenities were a nice treat but the blow dryer was old and weak. The shower was meh but well lit and clean. We did opt for the expensive Sunday brunch and felt it was worth the 26.00 price tag. Not sure the room was worth 200 a night plus tax but Saskatoon hotels are all pretty pricey!

• Stayed June 2013
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Bessborough, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear travelaholic_111, Thank you for posting a review and for recognizing the quality of the recent renovations.

VANCOUVER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I too spent 4 nights at The Bessborough for the TMAC 2013 conference. I found myself on the 6th floor - A bit more pricier than the others which were sold out. I discovered that I had access to The Signature Bar which provided delicious snacks, coffee/tea at no charge throughout the day. A perfect place to relax and hide!
The hotel is typical of the old historic CP Railway hotels. A famous city landmark for it's "castle" design and a top quality operation. Whilst the rooms and hotel in general have been tastefully renovated, the character has been carefully retained.
I would certainly recommend this hotel but book ahead - It's always busy! Breakfast was provided by the conference.

Room Tip: I didn't have a river view but I'm sure it would be great!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear RENTAN, We were very pleased to have played a role in hosting the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC). Thank you for your wonderful comments.

cudworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 36th anniversary at the Bess with their anniversary special. If you were married before 2000, you pay the same as the number of the year you were married. So we paid $77 for the one night stay. Actually we upgraded for $30 more to a riverview room. We were welcomed at the front desk, congratulated on our anniversary and given complementary parking. On arrival in our corner room (complete with a turret), we found an anniversary card. Little things, but they are things that make your stay special. We were also congratulated on checkout.
We were able to watch the fastflowing river from two different windows in our room. It was very clean and luxurious but still had the charm of an old hotel. It was very quiet and we have resolved to celebrate our next 36 anniversaries there!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have turrets with an extra window.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Bessborough, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Cudworthsaskgnewfie, What an interesting handle! Thank you for sharing such an important occasion with us, we are honoured. You are right, it is the little things that make a stay special and you can be sure I will congratulate the staff on your behalf.

SIncerely,

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Like most railway hotels in Canada the Bessborough is a majestic old castle-like building. Unlike many, this hotel has been beautifully maintained and preserves its art-deco decor with taste and restraint. It has all the usual upscale hotel amenities, including good sheets, bed, bath products, but a disappointing single service drip machine with bad coffee -- it should have a keurig or tassimo. But my room had a very good desk and exceedingly comfortable chairs. The service at this hotel was among the best I have ever had -- extending to everyone -- cleaning, check inn, concierge, valet parking attendants. One day staff were even handing out cinnamon buns and cookies! I sent out a load of laundry and it was returned in half a day. One small but potentially alarming note -- the toilet did not easily, but I expect this in old hotels. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Face the river if you can. I faced the street on a weekend night and the noise from a club across th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Bessborough, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear CarolynPod, Thank you for recognising the design balance between a clean uncluttered contemporary look while retaining the all important heritage aspects, that we endeavored to achieve. I also must thank you for recognizing the hard work and dedication of the staff who bring this castle to life everyday! I also wish to note that while the single cup Cuisinart Coffee maker is the Delta standard we are in the process of upgrading the coffee pods used and of course Starbucks is available in all other areas of the hotels.

Andrew Turnbull

Been to Delta Bessborough? Share your experiences!