Readers are warned in advance that I love this hotel. I have been staying at the Bess (pronounced locally as the Bezz) for more than 30 years and remember when the pub on the ground floor (now long gone) was a favorite watering hole for beer and popcorn.
I have seen several iterations of this grand building and always try to stay there when in Saskatoon. The current Delta version has recently undergone an extensive renovation and IMHO they have done an wonderful job. The history and quaint majesty of the structure has been preserved while the hallways, rooms facilities have been brightened and modernized without affecting the style. The hallways were a bit dark, reflecting the style of the 1930s but the new renovations have really made them and the elevator foyers brighter and more modern. This has been done while preserving the wonderful old wood and brass of the period. You can still feel the spirit of the original edifice in the halls and rooms.
We had a standard room this time and the design and layout were great. Wall paper and coverings were new and bright but accented by the old mirrors of the grand age. The workspace was large and well appointed and the beds comfortable. The now antique bathrooms have been modernized while maintaining the tiles and sinks of the period.
The Japanese Restaurant on the ground floor has been a dining landmark for decades and worth a visit if you have not been there. Stovin's Lounge (named I believe after the first registered guest in 1935) is a great place for a drink or a light meal but it is small and finding a place when the hotel is full can be a challenge.
The fitness center, no longer part of Fitness Club, is well equipped and has a great view of the gardens.
Another recent advantage is that the parking lot which used to be open to non hotel guests as well is now limited to registered guests eliminating trying to find a place to park off site when the lot was full.
The staff were universally helpful, friendly and attentive.
For those not familiar with Saskatoon, the location provides easy walking to the downtown core and riverside attractions. Nice pubs and restaurants start literally across the street and the downtown mall is five blocks straight up the street from the main door of the hotel. For the joggers there is a wonderful trail along the river.
They don't make hotels like this any more and it is well worth a stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Classic Heritage Hotel located in the heart of downtown on 5 private acres along the banks of the South Saskatchewan River. Saskatoon's only CAA/AAA 4 Diamond hotel features recently renovated guestrooms designed by the world renowned Anderson/Miller group, a full service spa, pool, fitness facility, two restaurants and exclusive club level accommodations. Located only steps away from many restaurants, bars, and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Delta Bessborough reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Delta Bessborough Hotel Saskatoon
- Delta Saskatoon
- Saskatoon Delta
- Delta Bessborough Saskatoon, Saskatchewan