“Great Alchohol, Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 462 Restaurants in Regina
Cuisines: Irish, Scottish, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Description: Not only does the Knotted Thistle offer a uniquely Celtic atmosphere, we also proudly serve a variety of local and imported beer, wine and scotch along with some traditional Celtic dishes.Whether it’s a Scotch egg, Irish Nachos, or our very own Thistlehead Ale -we have something to tempt every palette. So feast yer eyes upon one of our menus and see what mouth-watering surprises await you.
Regina, Canada
“Great Alchohol, Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have a love hate relationship with the Knotted Thistle Pub. On the one hand they have the best selection of Scotch in all of Regina, and their Yard of Beer is something to try when your out for a party. The best thing on the menu is their Bacon Jam. The perfect appetizer to go with a night of drinking, but the rest of the food is average. As a Celtic Pub I was expecting more Scottish, Irish, and Welsh dishes like Haggis, Cranachan, Bubble and Squeak, and Irish Stew in a Bread bowl, but the only British fair you will find is Bangers and Mash.
On a side note, while the outfits on the servers does add a certain Celtic atmosphere that is appreciated, I think the skimpiness of the outfits tends to draw a more undesirable element into the Pub. It doesn't ruin the feeling of the bar, but it does diminish it some what.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
TravelodgeRegina, Manager at Knotted Thistle Pub, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thanks for the review. Since the pub opened last February we’ve experimented with a few different food items – some more Celtic than others. Our current menu reflects different Celtic influences with American twists to give people familiarity while allowing them to try something a little out of the ordinary. We are also in the process of updating our menu so we will take your comments into consideration when planning. As far as drinks are concerned, it looks like you’ve had a little taste of what’s offered and it’s great that you enjoy the variety!

Thanks again for the feedback and we’ll see you around!

Edmonton, Alberta
“Great pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I love the location of the pub in the hotel. Its nicely decorated and has a great feel. The food is average. The selection I found to be limited and quality so so. The beer selection is also limited and Guinness is almost $9 a pint!!! Thats too much!
Other than that, you don't have to walk far and you can leave your car keys in your room.

Visited July 2013
TravelodgeRegina, Manager at Knotted Thistle Pub, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We’re glad you had a chance to join us in our friendly Celtic pub! Our menu has been designed to showcase a selection of the most popular dishes that delight the taste buds. Each item has a unique take on flavor, so maybe on your next visit you’ll have a chance to try something new on the menu that really “hits the spot”. Thanks for the review; see you around!
Los Angeles, California
“Try Earls' across the street because the service at the Knotted Thistle is poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My companions and I were taking a trip across Canada and found this restaurant using Trip Advisor. We saw the ratings and thought we would give this restaurant a try. Unfortunately, the restaurant disappointed us in many ways. When we first arrived, we had to seat ourselves. No one greeted us or showed us to a table. After inquiring whether we should wait, we asked one of the waitresses and was told to have a seat anywhere. Ten minutes went by and no acknowledgement from any of the staff. Eventually, another waitress came by to ask us if we'd like water and told us that she is not our waitress, but that our real waitress (Rachel) would come by shortly. Another fifteen minutes went by and our waitress came to the table next to us, but did not even bother to say hello to us or let us know that she'll be back to take our orders once she wrapped up with the folks at the next table. As we sat waiting, we watched her chit chat with the customers at the next table for another 15 minutes. After waiting for a total of 40 minutes, we decided that this was not the place we thought it would be. Furthermore, the food appears to be overpriced.

We decided to go next door to Earl's and was more than pleased with our experience. The staff was courteous and seated us immediately. Our waitress was attentive. Although the price was similar to Knotted Thistle, the food at Earls was excellent and the service was great. We had a burger and chicken tacos. Earls chicken tacos were the best tacos north of the Mexican border and the burger was quite good as well!

So, if you are considering Knotted Thistle, you should go to Earls across the street because Knotted Thistle is not worth your time or your money.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
TravelodgeRegina, Manager at Knotted Thistle Pub, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to our pub. You’re right, it seems we really let you and your companions down. I assure you, this is not normally like us and we hope you will accept our apologies for the experience you had while here.

Celtic pubs are known for being welcoming and friendly and a great place to stop for food and drinks. We strive to provide this to our patron’s everyday and regretfully it looks like we dropped the ball with your table.

Please be assured that we do value your feedback and that we are sincere in our efforts to listen and act on what our customers are saying with the goal of always improving our pub and the service we provide.

If you’re in the area again, we do hope that you will give us another try. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope you enjoy your trek across the country!
Regina, Canada
“Friendly Service, Typical Food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My partner and I went this evening around 6:30PM to the Knotted Thistle as she was craving a big juicy burger and reviews seemed to indicate that this was a decent spot to go. It was pretty quiet as we suspect a lot of the "usual crowd" was partying it up at Craven Jamboree. Service was quick and prompt and friendly. As others have commented, the menu was pretty limited and there wasn't anything that really excited me in terms of options. My partner chose the William Wallace burger, which was priced at $19. I had the special of the day, which was a half rack of barbeque ribs with slaw and a couple of small pieces of fried chicken, accompanied by a small dish of mac n' cheese. The food was good, but not exceptional. The burger wasn't any different than any of the other overcooked burgers we've had here in Regina, and we thought that it was overpriced at $19. My special was pretty decent value at only $12.

I think that this place stands out because of the tap selection, not something that my partner and I were interested in. Atmosphere was decent, but food was only average at best and if this is the best burger in Regina, I guess we'll have to save our cravings for somewhere else. Still, not a bad place, just not near the top of the city in our books.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
TravelodgeRegina, Manager at Knotted Thistle Pub, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. As you said, the William Wallace is a big seller of ours that people are typically quite enthusiastic about, so we’re sorry to hear your partner was disappointed by it. On the other hand, it’s great to hear that you were pleased by the service and that your meal was enjoyable. Maybe we’ll see you again sometime to try something a little different. Thanks again!
Regina
“My new favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great place right from the moment I walked in. Great seating and atmosphere, which is something I generally do not care about but it struck me as a very relaxing and enjoyable place to be.

The menu is small but that is a reflection on how much focus they put on the food they have there, which is amazing. Granted its a pub so you are eating pub fare, but I am a bit of a burger enthusiast and I had to try their burger - this one is called "The William Wallace."

Ever see the episode of How I met Your Mother when they were in search of the perfect burger in New York? This is how I felt when I first bit into this momma. It had two massive home made patties, about 3/4 of an inch thick each, perfectly crisp/soft bacon, pickled onions and peppers, very little condiments so it let the meat do the talking. The fries are amazing too, yeah they are in small portions but the fries are home made cut fries, not the frozen and battered garbage you find anywhere else. Just like mom used to make!

The beer and ale is top notch, my absolute favorite is the Dark Erdinger. Its a dark wheat ale that is quite possibly the smoothest I have ever drank, it has this neat banana/coffee taste at the end of your sip, the light version is pretty good too.

Service is quick, full of experienced waitresses. I am usually taken care of by Rachel, she is fast and attentive, but not overly bearing to the point where it would get annoying. Great service balance.

Cant wait to go back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TravelodgeRegina, Manager at Knotted Thistle Pub, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks for stopping by to enjoy a great meal!

William Wallace is known as one of Scotland’s greatest heroes, so what better way to honour a great name than to take one of the Knotted Thistle’s greatest burgers and named it after the great warrior? By the sounds of things, The William Wallace has found yet another admirer.

It’s good to hear that your visits have always been accompanied by unique meal, top notch beer and great service. We can’t wait to see you again!