“small town, average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort to your Saves list
Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   24 Fairford St. E., Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan S6H 0C7, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 13 hotels in Moose Jaw
Ontario, Canada
“small town, average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I just stayed at the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa resort. I was there for work and didn't have an opportunity to make use of the spa, so I won't comment or rate the hotel on this. A few of my colleagues did try and enjoy it though, so it would probably be worth a try.

Now, about the things I can review, the hotel has 2 towers and you have to cross a street to get to the second tower (either on ground level or through a walkway on the 3rd floor, or an open walkway on the 4th, not open in the winter). I was in the second tower, 5th floor. The room was decent and was clean. Service was also good when I needed it. You also don't have to go outside if you wish to go to the casino which is nice.

There were a few things I didn't like about the room though. First, it's an in-window type HVAC system with no auto, so it's always on, blowing hot air when heat is on, and cold air when it's not. This makes the room very very dry and there was nothing I could do to get the humidity up at all. The fact that the bathroom fan was on all the time didn't help either.

Water temperature and pressure in the bathroom and shower were good, and the toiletries were pretty nice.

The television was an old tube TV, so no HD but there was a good selection of channels.

There weren't really enough outlets in the room, near the bed or the desk as all but one were taken up when I got in the room.

There was not nearly enough light in the room. It was always dark, and reading at night was a challenge. The light switch near the door turned on a small light near the door and nothing else. The lamps seemed to have the least wattage bulbs available.

The window coverings are blinds, not curtains so they let a fair amount of light in to the room during the day.

The wifi in my room was absolutely horrible (when I could connect) but on the second day I found the wired connection, and that was near the best hotel internet I've ever had. I wish they could improve the wifi, but at least wired is still available and very good.

The bed was comfortable, but I had trouble finding a pillow I liked. Flatter or down pillows would be nice.

Overall it's a decent hotel and probably the best in town. It was clean with hot water and good pressure and a comfortable bed so it has most points covered for a short stay. I was on a longer stay, so a few of the other things got annoying, but nothing terrible.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your past stay with us. WE do read and try to address the guest comments so we can continually improve. We did hear you and other guest comments about our WIFi service and have done upgrades to the Casino side and will complete the main side early in 2013.

Again, thank you for your feed back and hope that you are able to return soon.

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Regina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I, and sometimes the family, take a trip to Temple Gardens two or three times per year as we enjoy the warmth of the mineral pool. Overall, our experiences have been favourable, albeit around 20% overpriced in terms of value for your dollar. The rooms are slightly above average quality and decor, and are usually well maintained and clean. However, there is one very annoying facet of a stay at Temple Gardens. The steam room. We have written Temple Gardens about this issue on a number of occasions in the past couple of years, and have been informed that they agreed with our complaint and promised to take measures to try to correct the problem. But, to date, no action has been taken. The mineral pool and adjoining steam room are intended, and advertised for that matter, as a place to relax and enjoy the water and peacefulness. For the most part, if one is careful picking the dates to stay, lounging and relaxing in the pool can be a pleasure. But there are times, which tend to be mostly on weekends and special holidays, when the mineral pool is used more as a "swimming pool" for local families and their children, as the pool is open to the general public during specific hours without having to rent a room. This fact certainly contributes to difficulty having a "completely" relaxing and regenerating experience, and degrades the value of the dollar you pay to stay. But, I digress. The true annoyance is the steam room. There is little doubt that many people misunderstand the purpose of a steam room, and that can be forgiven. Historically and culturally a steam room's main purposes are, aside from potential health benefits, the opportunity to sweat out bodily impurities, reflect on life and meditate. Contrary to the many other steam rooms we have had the pleasure of using across North American, none of these are possible at the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort steam room. Continually, people use it as a place for social gathering to loudly talk about whatever comes to mind, to joke and laugh and be noisy. So much for the meditation aspect. What about the steam and heat? The door to the steam room is continually being opened and closed, and not quickly, which would be acceptable as people do need to go in and out. Often people will open the door for long moments just to take a look and see what's inside. Of course most of the steam and heat escapes. Then there are those who enter the steam room for a minute, find it too hot to stay any longer than that, then leave only to return a minute later after they have cooled down somewhat and then repeat the process a minute later. And THEN, there are those who enter, sit for two or three minutes and then say "It's too hot in here!" and proceed to the door to hold it open for a minute or so to cool it down. There are attendants and lifeguards in the area, but they do nothing to help correct these things. But it is likely not their responsibility at any rate. We have requested Temple Gardens to try something quite simple toward helping to keep these problems at a minimum. Simply install some signage stating something to the effect of "Steam and Meditation Room. Please observe silence and keep door closed". Is that too much to ask, or to difficult to do? But, to date, and even though promised, and given well over a year to try, this has not taken place. So, all this said, will we continue to regularly stay at Temple Gardens? Highly unlikely.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PostM;

Thank you for passing on your positive comments regarding your stays at our resort. I is always great to hear that you do enjoy your self. In regards to the steam room and pool, I have addressed the comments with all the managers and supervisors to go over this item with our guards. We do have a challenge with trying to be all things to all people with the mineral pool being open to the public and to our room guests. Our room guests do have exclusive access from 7 AM to 10 AM daily for their enjoyment. We will be redoing our signing for the pool area and sauna and will address the "conduct" more clearly. Unfortunately we are always at the mercies of other peoples consideration to other, be it room guest or other. I will talk to the team again regarding this matter.

Regina, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Went out for an overnight stay at the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa in Moose Jaw. I had left my credit card at the front desk (accidentally) and the clerk called to let me know. I asked her to bring it up for me, I waited about 30 minutes and then went down to the desk to get it. However the card was now missing!!! As I was speaking to the manager, an employee comes in from outside and hands me my card. Not wanting to be a suspicious person, I paid no attention and thanked him for my card. I just got my statement back and apparently a 196 dollar charge was made at a local clothing store on Main St. Can't freaking believe it!!!

Still waiting for a manager to call me back, this has really been a nightmare dealing with a theft at a place where you need to feel like your credit card information is safe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Templegardens, Manager at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Trippy

I just wanted to drop you a note to apologize again for the incident that occurred during your last stay with us. I am deeply saddened that one of our employees let us down with the trust that we expect and that we do have with all our other great people that work at Temple Gardens. As I did explain in our previous correspondence is that, the employee has been charged by the police and has been dismissed by the hotel. We do have procedures in place to restrict access to guest information and do not tolerate any deviation from that, as demonstrated by our actions.

I truly hope that you accept my personal apology in the spirit it is intended and that you feel comfortable in returning despite this unusual occurrence.

Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Nice room, but needed a couple of small touch ups. Had the Moose Jaw getaway package, and was a good deal for the Tunnels tickets, and casino voucher. A neat experience to be swimming out side in a blizzard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Templegardens, General Manager at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear CoolGirl792

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. Glad you enjoyed the Moose Jaw Getaway package. As to your comments regarding the room, I want to assure you we are continuously addressing room maintenance issues. Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to serving you again soon..

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We visited the Temple Spa in August 2012. Breakfast and supper were included in the price. The rooms were super clean and comphy, all staff friendly and helpful, food was delicious and beautifully served. The pool was very large and there was lots of room to move around or just enjoy soaking up the minerals...ah so refreshing.The casino was directly across the street .Parking was included but be sure that you dont park in the casino part or will be charged $10 which apparently the hotel will refund you. I would have liked to stay longer. If we are ever back that way, it will be a definate stop for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sheena S

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your comments about your recent visit to Temple Gardens. Sounds like you enjoyed the Guestroom and Dining Package, and we look forward to your next visit.

Kelowna, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Excellent beds and bedding, which is of paramount importance, so the room was incidental.
However, having said that, I was a little surprised at how old and tired the room appeared as well as the poor paint job in the bathroom with about 1/2" of the previous green paint in evidence around the tub area. It just didn't live up to all the hyperbole we'd heard about this hotel.
Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we were not able to avail ourselves of any of the spa services, which is apparently what put this establishment on the map. Perhaps next time, as I would like to give this place another try.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Templegardens, General Manager at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Sahali

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your comments about your recent stay with us. Glad you enjoyed the beds and bedding and hope you have the opportunity to try some of the services at SunTree Spa on your next visit. As to your comments regarding the paint, I want to assure you we are addressing room painting and general maintenance and will continue to do so. Your feedback is appreciated.

Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a good place to stay that is above your standard hotel. The big attraction is the mineral spa which is warm and inviting with an outdoor access. This makes it nice on cold winter nights. Other spa services are also offered and seem to be high quality, though I did not use them. The room was large with a king size bed that was fairly comfortable. There is a Casino attached to the facility that I also did not make use of.
The only criticisms I have are small. The television in the room was very poor. Though it was a flat screen, it was of poor quality with a lot of wavy lines along the top 6 inches. It would take about 5 seconds to refocus after each channel change. The bathtub had a bad faucet setup that dripped and splashed when filling the tub. A wet floor was not a pleasant surprise when I got back to the tub. The facility itself is in need of some touch ups with paint starting to peel and other small things.
Besides the TV, which I am assuming is a room specific issue, the stay was nice and the facility was worth the money spent.

Room Tip: My room was in the casino wing. I am not sure about the rooms in the hotel proper.