“It is a nice weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa

You added Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   24 Fairford St. E., Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan S6H 0C7, Canada (Formerly Temple Gardens Mineral Spa Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Moose Jaw
Saskatoon
“It is a nice weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband suprised me with a night at the spa in a king suite. The room and bathroom were a nice size - the balcony overlooking the park is nice as well. The hotel is starting so show some age and is due for a reno. The tvs are old - not flat screen and the furniture is getting worn.

Main improvement to be had is the service. While one staff member Morley (I think) went above and beyond to correct a complaint we had in general the rest of the staff is lacking the professionalism and interaction you would expect with this type of hotel. There needs to be more training of the front desk staff so that they can deal with customers in a more professional way. Main example - the hotel parking lot was full after our night out for supper. Instead of helping us find another alternative - i.e. free casino parking on Sunday, which we found on our own, we were told to go find a meter on the street because they were free. Simple things that just set the tone of the hotel.

Would we go back? Sure - its a nice getaway from Saskatoon for the weekend and its right accross the street from the casino. But really for what you pay per night to stay there they had better start working on upgrading rooms and service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Templegardens, General Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear daLesters

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and pass on your comments and suggestions. We are continuously looking for opportunities to improve and I will address your comments regarding the customer service you received with the appropriate manager. As well we are continually updating furniture, lighting, carpet throughout the property. We look forward to you returning so we have the pleasure of serving you again.

Ranald Rasmussen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
The Pas, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Just returned from a two day "Girls Getaway", booked a "family" room for 4 of us which had 2 queen beds and a sofa bed, table with 4 chairs and a lovely balcony overlooking the park. The room was ok, size was great for the four of us to congregate in, but it could use a "fresh up", especially the bathroom - sink was cracked, tap didn't quite shut off and the hairdryer was basically mounted on the counter so it kept falling in the sink. We booked the "girls getaway" package which included $75 gift certificate each for each day, coffee at morningside cafe, a bottle of wine each day and 40% off at the giftshop - a fairly good deal, but beware - 2 days for the 4 of us cost almost $1200 for the room with the girls package. The pool is beautiful, even with the changeroom renos going on right now. Morningside cafe is great, lots of nice selections. Spa is nice, not by far anywhere near the best I've been to, waiting area was not really quiet or relaxing, seating was nice, but it was open to the check in area and very bright. There were no private change rooms for the spa customers, and the pool changerooms were under renovation, so you basically had a bathroom (that wasn't terribly clean - gravel and dirt on the floor) or a tent on the pool deck to change in. They could also use a swimsuit spinner to dry suits - dragging around a wet suit to treatments isn't great. Treatments were inconsistent - 3 of us all had the 90 minute seasalt scrub and massage and had 3 very different massages. It was also strange that they led you out of the "spa" down 1 or 2 flights of stairs past hotel guest rooms to treatment rooms - a little awkward running into guests walking down halls when you're in your housecoat and slippers.
Staff were all very nice, friendly enough and accommodating, although we really didn't have any problems to resolve.
As for the city of Moose Jaw - what a lovely little city, fantastic little gift shops, especially the jewelry store down the street just on the other side of Main Street, and breakfast at Veroba's is a must! All in all a nice getaway, but a bit of a splurge for what you got.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear sunlover6588

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa. We are pleased you were able to take advantage of the "Girls Getaway". As you mentioned, we are undergoing major renovations to our change rooms and we thank you for your patience. I will pass along your comments regarding the treatments to the Spa manager.

Thank you again, it is through guest feedback such as yours that helps us to improve.
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

This was our 3rd stay at the Spa and the best one yet. Booked a supreme mineral jacuzzi room and really enjoyed having our own tub to "take the waters". On our first stay the room wasn't as clean as I would have liked and found the restaurant Harwood's was over-rated and expensive for what we got. Gave the hotel another chance and have had no complaints for the 2nd and 3rd stays. Have not been back to Harwood's though as there are numerous other options within walking distance. Only thing I would like to see changed is to have a bigger TV in the room, it is quite small for a room of that size.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 007jones

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa.
We appreciate your return business and we are continually upgrading the guest rooms with new furniture and carpets. We look forward to serving you on your next visit.

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

A wedding in Regina brought us back to Moose Jaw and we have generally found the Temple Garden to be a nice 3 star hotel. Our room was spacious and had two queen beds. The room was nice and could use some refreshing as wear and tear is starting to show. If your traveling in hot weather I would recommend you ask for a room that faces north as the usually noisy room AC had a hard time keeping the room cool. We had issue with skywalk card key door lock which averaged about three swipes before it would let us in, we had no issue with acces to our room. The nicest feature by far for this hotel is the mineral pool. We enjoyed an evening and morning dip and it sure felt good after a day of driving. Had breakfast at the cafe by the pool, nothing fancy but hit the spot. If you are parking in the parkade ~$5 and your not sure which building you room will be in I would check-in first then get your luggage as you may find yourself lugging you luggage back and forth.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Pudgyboyz

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa. I am pleased you enjoyed the Mineral Pool and Morningsides Cafe. We look forward to you returning so we have the pleasure of serving you again.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at this highly overrated, overpriced hotel this past summer. Regretfully it has taken me a long time to post a review, but felt compelled to share my experience in writing the same way I have shared it verbally over the past couple of months. I have never had such a poor hotel experience in my life. Even though I was just passing through Moose Jaw for the night, I decided to splurge since I had family staying at Temple Gardens, as I generally don’t pay this much for hotels or stay in “luxurious” surroundings. Like most families, we are on a budget and to pay almost $200 for one night is completely out of the norm for us. I can tell you that I have paid A LOT less for a MUCH better experience.

Our check-in was a pleasant experience but this is where it ended. Upon reaching the parkade across the street we found no luggage carts as advised there would be, and hauled our bags up manually one floor via elevator, over the skywalk and back down two floors. A long trek for myself and a child as we were travelling solo. Our key card did not work so I had to leave my child and luggage unattended in the hallway and back down to the main desk as we did not have a luggage cart, comforted only by the fact that there was a window in which she could stand overlooking the lobby, so I could see her from the lobby. Once finally in the room we found it outdated and unclean. Even though I was only staying for one night, I knew I wouldn’t be able to look at the loose hair and dirt that lined the washroom floors so I wiped it up with a wad of wet Kleenexes and disposed of it. The carpets were old and dirty looking. Every time we left our room, the key card would work one time and that was it, we would have to go back to the main desk for a new card. Eventually maintenance came and “cleaned” the swiping device and said if the problem persisted we would have to be moved. He also advised me after monitoring my “swiping technique” that I swiped too slow and swiping faster would be more successful. A neighboring room had the same problem with the key cards. Maintenance advised me that we were lucky the key swipe was the only problem we had, as other rooms were leaking due to the rain & lightning storm that had blown in and forced the closure of the mineral spa. He was in the process of moving other guests and tending to water leakage issues. I felt obligated to thank him for taking time out of his hectic situation to let us into our room.

By this time, I had spent 1.5 hours out of 2 on the key swipe problem, back and forth to the front desk. Finally off for a late supper in the hotel restaurant after an early morning and long day of travelling, on top of dealing with our key swipe problem. Unfortunately during dinner my child felt ill and we had to run back to our room and while enroute, it occurred to me that we had already used our typical “one swipe” card success. Sure enough, the latest card would not work. We ran back down to the lobby and I very vocally advised that we would need to be moved if they could make arrangements for this while I tended to my sick child. The front desk staff did empathize with the frustrating, ongoing situation each time I went back to the desk but after a long day, I was beyond finished. We were quickly assigned a new room so back up we go & I packed up the old room and moved my luggage and upon arriving at the new room, the key card did not work. So back down to the desk again and at this time I was having a difficult time maintaining any composure. I approached a different staff member on the desk who had just come on shift, as the other staff members at the front desk were no longer making eye contact with me. After checking my key card her response was “hmmm, well it should work, computer says it should”. REALLY??????? YOU DON’T SAY. I have stayed at enough hotels that I know “key carding” is not rocket science but could be subject to human error. I said “you know, my bags are packed and on a trolley and I’m just about ready to consider staying elsewhere”. Her response was “Well, if that’s what you feel you need to do”. Knowing that my credit card is already on file and that I will most likely be charged for a night’s stay whether I actually stayed there or not (again, I have to be budget conscience and have already gone over budget on this bad choice), I advised her that “of course that is not what I want to do at this hour, I just want to get into a room and go to bed”. She offered to accompany me back to the room to observe how I used my key card and at the very least open the room for me, which I was grateful for. However, contradictory to the key swiping tutorial of the maintenance man, she advised me that I was swiping too fast, and successfully gained access to us for our room.

After a countless number of trips through the convoluted hallways and elevator rides to the front desk, I was just happy to be in a room and called it a day with no intention of leaving the room again for fear that I would not get back in. I was grateful that the restaurant had graciously packaged my dinner and sent it to my new room, but I noted the next morning at checkout that I had been charged for room service. I am not normally a “check out” girl, but decided that I needed to this time just so I could express some of my concerns when I was asked “how was your stay?” It didn’t happen; I was not asked how my stay was, probably because I had a big black X by my name because of all of the inconvenience I had caused the staff due to my poor “key swiping capabilities”. After much pondering of this experience and discussing it with friends and family I realize in retrospect that I wasn’t even offered any compensation, discount etc. I shouldn’t HAVE to ask for compensation; in situations like this it SHOULD be automatic, as I made no attempt to hide my disappointment and frustration, on the contrary after a long day of travel I was at my wits end. In ANY future hotel or customer service experiences, I won’t ever hesitate to demand better or ask for compensation when it seems warranted. I will no longer settle or be accepting of being made to feel like an inconvenience. This hotel experience has been an enormous learning experience for me in customer service, an industry that I once worked in. I work too hard for my money and vacation time is precious. Any customers should always be treated with this in mind, whether they are there for business or pleasure. It's time away from home and their comfort & overall experience should be priority. Customer's are why the employees have jobs.

I was in this hotel for less than 19 hours, 8 or 9 of them were spent sleeping, several were spent dealing with key card issues, but in the remaining time spent I witnessed consistently lined hallways with dirty trays of room service dishes, broken glass in the hall, dirty and worn carpets, as was the overall hotel in great need of a face lift and TLC. I am certain the hotel was deserving of its reputation 10 years ago, but it seems maintenance and cleanliness is at a minimum and declining according to other posts/reveiws, and it shows. My first room, the bathroom was lined with old hair and dirt which I cleaned myself. In my second room once I was finally cuddled into a relatively nice bed and linens, I looked up at the headboard above my head and found a pink gobby substance which I believe was gum. Fortunately for me, I was too exhausted to let it bother me.

The good things I can think of for this hotel is that the bathrobes are wonderful, the linens on the bed were quite nice and beds comfortable. The mineral spa was delightful the next morning after a good night’s sleep, however, same as the rest of the hotel, in need of some maintenance and repair. Food in the hotel was ok, but seemed overpriced, consistent with other reviews that I have read regarding the spa services. I’m sure there are a lot of better dining options outside the hotel. I am not usually one to complain or post reviews, but in this case what makes the whole situation so unbearable is the price I paid for such a poor experience and I don't want others to make the same mistake.

Bottom line: don’t waste your time or hard earned money on this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear HardWorkingGirl_12

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Temple Gardens Mineral Spa. I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your visit. I know first hand how frustrating it can be when something such as a non functioning room key can cause so much trouble, as it has happened to me personally at other hotels. And having a sick child must have made the situation that much worse.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the Mineral Pool the next day, and that the robes and good night sleep provided some comfort. I will bring this matter to our Front Desk manager's attention so we can ensure this situation does not occur for future guests. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed at Temple Gardens for one night to attend a meeting. It was a regular two double bed room, not to small, clean. Bed was comfortable. Parking was adequate in parkade accross the street. It was a pain to get back to hotel, ride an elevator, take overpass walkway, then elevator then walk to room. Don't mind the walk up the up down and around was an inconvienince. Over all hotel was clean well kept and staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Templegardens, General Manager at Temple Gardens Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Prairie Driver;

Thank you very much for passing on your positive comments regarding you business travel to Temple Gardens. We do like hearing the feed back from our guests. I do appreciate you comments on how spread out our resort is. As an employee I do get my exercise, but thank goodness it’s all inside travel in the winter.

Again, thank you for your patronage and we hope to serve you again soon in the future.

Wawanesa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friend and I went to this for our first time and enjoyed all the amenities we could. The pool was great and everything was very close. The tunnel tours were wonderful. They were guided tours well explained and researched. At the end of the tour was the wonderful gift shop. The hotel itself provided a quiet clean environment to enjoy the rest of Moose Jaw. With the hotel right in the middle, everything was within walking distance and I have arthritis, so this is good.

Room Tip: our south side room overlooked the parkade, but there was no traffic noise