“Great Experience at Tadoussac” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Le Pionnier
263 rue des Pionniers, Tadoussac, Quebec G0T 2A0, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Tadoussac
Santiago, Chile
“Great Experience at Tadoussac”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I arrived with my wife and daughter to this hotel located in oneof Tadoussac main streets. The room simple but clean, the bathroom was in good shape and we spend a couple of nights of perfect sleep. The breakfast was very good (eggs, bacon, fruit, coffee, croissant) and the people very friendly and helpful although I didn't spoke any french, they still manage to understand me and help me with anything that I asked them. I will recommend this place to my family and anyone who wants to visit Tadoussac.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed at this hotel in Tadoussac over labor day weekend. We had one of the rooms with a jacuzzi bathtub. It was a nice hotel. Breakfast was included as well for $130/night + tx. The view from the room was nice too, right out onto the water. The location was fantastic! If you go to Tadoussac the best places to stay are on Des Pionniers street. It's the main street in Tadoussac and everything is within about a 2 min walk. I mean, even if you don't stay on this street you'll still be pretty close to everything.
The staff was nice and the room was comfortable. I would definitely stay here again but next time I go I think I might try camping. It's such a beautiful area of Quebec!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Providence, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

The hotel is in a great location and has a friendly staff, beyond that I can say nothing positive. We stayed in the main building and I cannot imagine how they could have constructed or furnished this place any cheaper. Everything about the place with the exception of the staff and the breakfast showed only the most minimal level of quality possible.

Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

What is somewhat problematic about this hotel is that its walls are very thin, we could hear our neighbours snore, sneeze, cough, speak, etc. and--most annoyingly--hear their TV very clearly (was on from 6pm on, so thanks neighbours!). The bathroom fan is rather loud too, and on our second day my wife has been woken up by our neighbours' (our second night I used earplugs and so couldn't hear it). So definitely bring earplugs, otherwise you are very likely not to get enough sleep.

Our room (number 21) was tiny, only a little bit larger than a king size bed! Also, the room was extremely hot at night, as it doesn't have air conditioning and the window opens only a little bit (the fan is not sufficient in August). I had a look at two of the other rooms on our floor when leaving, which were larger, so ask for a larger room, if you want to book here (we booked at last minute and apparently got one of the last rooms in town).

Finally, a few minor points: our room (number 21) doesn't have a fridge and there's not really enough natural light, even during the day (also doesn't have a view, but that was mentioned when booking). However, some of the personnel was really nice to us, despite our poor French, and the room was spotlessly clean.

Altogether I cannot recommend this hotel for $100 plus tax, which is what we paid.

Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

This is not a hotel with great character but the room was very comfortable, well appointed, adequately sized and spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was good and alternatives available to suit all.
The hotel is central to the village and overloks the bay. Whale watching is a must and can be booked easily locally, even in the height of the season when we visited.
Do not expect a great selection of high quality restaurants in Tadoussac but we loved it there. We would use this hotel again.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

We turned up in Tadoussac late afternoon in September and booked in to the Pionnier. After 2 nights 'rustic' camping in Le Parc de Grand Jardin it was luxury. Good view of the sea, nice hot shower and good size room. Breakfast also good. However I was bitten badly there, worse than camping, over 20 bites on my upper body and face. ( I suspect bed bugs as it was bites in a straight line) or possibly just an angry mozzie. The room was very clean and I know that you can get bed bugs anywhere, even in a 5* hotel as they are brought in by other guests on their clothes and not visible to the cleaners.

So I would recommend this hotel as I just got unlucky. I was just annoyed that the reception lady dismissed my thoughts rather rudely as if impossible it could happen.

Don't got to the restaurant St George next to the ferry terminal - there's much better value in town. Also the Tadoussac youth hostel bar has the rudest woman I've ever met behind the bar so go elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Le Pionnier? Share your experiences!