“Horrible hotel. No heat in Winter.” 1 of 5 stars

Wellington Hotel Sherbrooke
68 Wellington St South, Sherbrooke, Quebec J1H 5C7, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Sherbrooke
Montreal, Canada
“Horrible hotel. No heat in Winter.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stuck in Sherbrooke for the night, I decided to get a room at the Wellington Hôtel, located right by the bus depot. Arrived there around midnight, dead tired.

The manager came to the room, turned on a tiny heater and left. I removed my thick winter coat... And I noticed that the temperature in the room was barely above zero Celsius. The bed felt frozen.

I tried to sleep beneath the thin sheets. The heater never got to warm the room 5 hours later. Even if I was wearing all my thick clothes beneath the sheets.

I finally found the energy to get of the room at 6 am, even more tired than when I got in and now cold to the bones.

When I walked to the reception desk, I realized that the whole hotel was not heated, in december, in Canada. I could feel the cold air drafts in the corridors, like if doors had been left open when it was minus 15 Celsius outside.

When I complained, the manager told me that I should have told him, he would have fixed the situation.

(And no, there was no power shortage on that day.)

No sane person would leave a building that cold in Canadian Winter, even if it's just to prevent pipes freeze. Why so cold? To kill bed bugs? To save money? My guess is that horrible hotel will « mysteriously » burn very soon.

I paid 60$ to learn.

The bathroom ceiling was stained.

Room Tip: Ask to check the room before paying.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I don't usually write reviews, but this hotel deserves it. I spent two nights there with my wife on a recent trip. We found it accidentally. The hotel is in a heritage building, which I absolutely like. It was a bargain, with a nice room, good location, and very friendly staff. We were satisfied with everything. When checking out I mentioned to the receptionist that I had a great stay and maybe they should increase their prices! Hopefully they won't ;-)

Room Tip: We were happy with the room they offered us.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed at hotel wellington for two nights, and I loved it. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the comments here, but decided to give it a try. I am glad I did it! The staff were very friendly and the prices were very reasonable. The hotel was close to some good restaurants. The neighborhood seemed much cleaner than some of the comments suggest. If you want good value for your money then I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Bracebridge, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My adult daughter and I spent a weekend at this hotel as there was nothing else available in Sherbrooke the weekend we were there and we will never stay there again. I do not recommend it at all. We were there two nights. There were no face cloths, only one hand towel and two small bath towels. Furnature was very old and in poor shape. Our room was not made up after our first night, no clean towels, no garbage collected etc. At $100.00 per night I at least want clean towels for the next day. The gentleman running the Hotel was however a very friendly and polite man, thank goodness because that was the only good thing about the hotel. You can tell that the area is/was a very seedy area that they are trying to clean up. Keep working you have a long way to go yet. DON'T TAKE CHILDREN THERE.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
kamySherbrooke, Manager at Wellington Hotel Sherbrooke, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
I am sorry to hear the negative impression that you got after your stay. At the time we used to clean up the rooms of our customers only if they had put a "Clean the room" sign on their doors. This was simply to respect the privacy of our guests. We have since changed our policy, and clean the rooms unless a "Do not disturb" sign is displayed by a guest.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.
Sutton, Quebec, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Hotel Wellington in Sherbrooke a nice surprise

By Manfried Helmuth

Nancy and I recently spent a day at the Sherbrooke Record and needed a place to stay for the night. We used Google and found an advertisement of this vintage hotel on Wellington street. The prices seemed reasonable and the distance to the newspaper plant just right for us city weary drivers. We booked the room via their automated booking system, immediately got a confirmation and showed up at 11:30 on Monday. Check-in time is stated at 3pm, but Marsi and Ali Karami, the Iranian born proprietors made us immediately welcome and issued us our room.

From the outside the hotel looks worn down, but the lobby is elegant, the elevators worked and to our great surprise, the inexpensive room was nicely appointed and sparkling clean. Linens and towels looked new, the television has an abundance of cable TV channels, a good quality alarm radio is supplied, as are free internet access and free local telephone calls. This is a case of not "judging the book by it's cover". The Karimis proved friendly and courteous hosts and we chatted for quite some time about the current political situation of their native Iran which they fled many years ago. The elderly couple is educated, Marsi is an engineer by trade and Ali is also a college graduate.

Our car was parked free of charge in the sheltered parking garage under the hotel, which we enjoyed in the morning, as it had been snowing all night.

A few meters away from the hotel is the fabulous Cafe/Bistro Bla-Bla, a 35 year old institution in Sherbrooke which we enjoyed tremendously over a large plate of all-dressed nachos and a pitcher of Boreale Blond, served by a pretty and vivacious Anne-Sophie Robitaille.

We shall re-visit both places as we enjoyed our stay there very much.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you Manfried for the kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you at Hotel Wellington soon.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I went there for a night's stay and won't go there ever. The hotel manager was the ruddest I've ever encountered.

At our arrival, we got assigned a room and went up to drop our baggages. The room wasn't ready (the bed wasn't made). There was "clean" sheets folded on the table so we started making the bed. Finally the manager comes to our room 10 minutes later to tell us the room isn't ready and we need to change rooms. Ok, his mistake... it happens, that's not so bad.

We woke up in the morning to find water driping for the ceiling while the person in the room upstairs was taking a shower. We decided to collect the water as "proof" and go on with our preparations to leave as planned. Everywhere in the hotel it is written that the checkout is at 12:00pm noon (12:00 midi) but yet we receive a phone call from reception at 11h30 telling us we need to pay an extra night because we passed the 11am checkout. As we were almost ready to leave, we go to the reception 5min later to explain our water problem. The manager suddently changed mood and started blaming us of being lyers and dishonnest people wanting to crook his hotel.

I went to the room with him to show him the water problem. His first reaction was to blame me for not having alerted him of the first drop that fell. He actually told me it was my JOB to alert him and that I CAUSED HIM hundreds of dollars in repairs!

He kept screaming in the middle of the corridors and insulting me. He never admitted that check-out wasn't at 11 even in front of the front desk sign saying "check-out at 12:00pm noon", all the while calling me a lyer.

We are two university students doing payed interships. We couldn't care less about fighting for 70$ but this was just over the top. The customer "service" we got was rude and insulting. He automatically categorised us as crooks wanting to steal his money.

The actual place is quite dirty and I wouldn't be supprised to find mold in the wall due to the lack of ventilation and high humidity in the rooms.

Bottom line, I strongly recommend NOT going to this hotel, even for the cheap price. Personnaly we are going to send our complaint to the OPC (Office de la Protection du Consommateur) and hope they can do something to protect future customers from getting that kind of service.

We now understand why somebody drew two Xs with a sharpy on the 2 stars advertised on the outside hotel license.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
kamySherbrooke, Owner at Wellington Hotel Sherbrooke, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I talked to the manager, and he said that you had collected some water dripping down along the wall (because the guest upstairs had forgotten to use the shower curtain), and came down shortly before checking out, not to report a water problem, but to ask for a refund of your whole stay. A water overrun is an emergency situation for a building, but I apologize if you felt insulted.

About the checkout time discrepancy, I can confirm that it is indeed 11 AM, and it is mentioned as such on almost every document, except one which was made when the hotel was affiliated with Ramada. Hotel Wellington voluntarily withdrew from that franchise after a change of ownership. Sorry about any confusion this may have caused.
North Eastham,MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Absolutely horrible. This is an aging relic that should have been torn down 10 years ago. It was THE place in Sherbrooke when Maurice Duplessis was Premier in the 50s, and not much has changed since then. Rude and disinterested personnel compound the problem. The rooms may have been partially renovated, but I was turned off by the dust in the corners, and what appeared to have been residue from cocaine or heroin, probably from one of the strippers at the next door club, that was on the table. This place is only good if you're going there to bang 1 of the tattooed drug addicted prostitutes from the seedy downtown area, stay away if on legitimate business and NEVER take a family there.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Wellington Hotel Sherbrooke? Share your experiences!