“5 Star Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bello Ristorante

Bello Ristorante
73, rue Saint-Louis, Quebec City, Quebec G1R3Z2, Canada (Downtown Quebec City)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 1,171 Restaurants in Quebec City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Description: Une ambiance enivrante, un accueil chaleureux comme si vous arriviez chez des amis, un décor d’un chic exemplaire, une cuisine italienne noble, voici ce qui vous attend au Bello… Des pâtes fraîches, des risottos de première qualité, des tartares. Ne manquez pas aussi les pizzas cuites au four à bois !! Terminez votre repas en choisissant l’un des cafés ou desserts Il Flammato, qui sont flambés directement à votre table!! Bienvenu au BELLO & Buon Appetito!!!
Toronto, Canada
“5 Star Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Fabulous restaurant. Great Italian/French cosine. The homemade Italian meatballs and stone oven pizza were devine. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Very good wine selection. Great atmosphere. Can't wait to go back!

nyc
“great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

great food service and atmospheres, came in at 9pm on friday to a packed restaurant and with no hesitation they seated us in an available table Salmon tartar was great

• 4 of 5 stars Food
falmouth, maine
“I'm going to differ a little from my wife's 5 star review here....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were recommended to Bello by our hotelier, and before we went bumped into some other travelers at our hotel who raved about it. We went on Sunday night. By the time we were done it was full, pretty good for a Sunday. We were anticipating something pretty special.
Most of what you read about it on Trip Advisor is accurate. Very good service. Man, from the minute you walk in, people are attentive. Seating you, serving you, checking on things....it is very clear that the owners, chefs and employees WANT to make this place work, and it does. Everything was very good. Timing was good. No long waits for food but not rushed. Contemporary decor - not wow - but not stodgy. Nice, but tje decpr isn't the attraction.
I grew up in New Jersey, and was raised on Italian food. This is apparently a bit of a novelty in QC but in NJ it is - or was - when I was growing up - standard fare. There were neighborhood places all over the place - Pero's in Demarest/Closter, Marcy's in Park Ridge, Mom's in Highland Park....and many others....that made food every bit as good as Bellos. And that isn't a slam...Bello's food would have been good in NJ, but not outstanding. Everything else about it - portions, service, price, was done very well and the experience was terrific. Here's what we had:
I had 2 beers - a Cheval Blanc, which was a wheat beer from Montreal - not my favorite type of beer, but very good, then followed it with a Belle Gueule Rousse - which frankly was thin bodied, slightly pallid, and average. I'm a former certified beer judge and this was nothing to write home about. There were another half dozen beers on the list as well. My wife - uncharacteristically - had 3 glasses of wine. a white which was good and a Montepulciano Inferi which was terrific. It was also more than we usually spend at home on a bottle!
To start we had the antipasto misto - a huge tray of proscuitto, calamari, salami, olives, and another 4-5 samples of their appetizers, and everything was very good....just like I said....very good, just not OMG outstanding. I ate everything, it was fresh, well presented, proscuitto with melon isn't exactly trailblazing, but it is there for a reason....it is really good. Notice the trend? Then we had a caesar salad. This, to me, is deservedly a hallmark of a restaurant. Sure you can have millions of different types of salads, but a restaurant that does a caesar right is on the right path. And they did. Both the Caesar and the antipasto were for two - and I suspect the wait staff thought we were some gluttons from south of the border....because we ordered both of them....but the caesar tasted 100% classic. Now I'm splitting hairs here, because it was the most memorable dish of the weekend....it was made with the dark leaves of the romaine, which aren't quite as crisp, but were fresh, the dressing was absolutely from the original "how to make a caesar salad" recipe, and it was garlicky and perfect. Croutons, no anchovies. So high marks for the Caesar salad. Very high marks.
For our entrees, my wife got some sort of ravioli. By now, I was pretty much in dietary lockdown and was struggling with finishing what I'd ordered, I'd eaten so much of the antipasto, bread (with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, btw), and salad that I wasn't paying attention to what she was eating. She loved it.
the menu favored fairly classic pastas, there were 3 tartares, which I didn't get, and it appeared that their specialty was risotto, which looked like they ran the gamut from classic to inventive. The meat/seafood also looked classic, so I decided on a wood fired pizza. They also ran the gamut - quattro formaggio, margherita, etc. but I got something called Pizza Calabrese, with sausage.
Now, I'm nit picking here.....I thought the crust was under done. it was white, not browned at all. I am nitpicking here. I truly am. I realize I could be sounding pretty pompous, but I'm a pretty decent pizza chef; i've taken courses in wood fired pizza making....and this was underdone. It didn't detract from the quality or enjoyability of the pizza at all, mind you, so I am just being overly critical. The topping was delicious; a little on the salty side, probably because of the type of sausage. It didn't stop me from eating everything, either!
For dessert we shared a chocolate cake, which was good, and 2 cappuccinos.
As I said earlier, service was terrific. Our waitress was patient, other servers and managers constantly were circulating, they didn't miss a beat. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Visited January 2014
Maine
“Ah, Bello!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

On our quest for "Eat Great Food Wherever you GO".....we accidented upon Bello, after our second night in Old Quebec City. And, wow...what a find. Our deal is that we walk most of the day, and hunger ourselves up for an early-ish dinner wherever we travel. So, when we hungrily arrived this restaurant at 6pm or so, it was just getting into its filling up mode. We had reservations, and when we were seated at one of the only tables that faced the TV at the bar, we asked to move to a high top away from that area, and they courteously obliged. #1 good thing. No tsk, tsks, no muttered anything under their breath, they just happily moved us!

This is a relatively new eatery for QC, and its owner seems to be a newcomer to the gastronomic scene here. His name is - I believe - Yanick Parent....and he has done a stupendous job with this project. Great ambience, unassuming and pleasant wait staff, and to-die-for food!

A must: THe Antipasto Misto (for 2)....an mouth-watering assortment of ensalada caprese, arancini alla siliciana, croccantini di parmigiano, bresaola prosciutto e melone, salmon marinade, calamari, carpaccio......oh, my.

Next, we shared a Caesar salad for two, that had an unidentifiable, but "ohmygosh, what is in this", effect, And, for mains, I had the 1/2 order of Ravioli de Manzo (plenty by then) and my husband had the Pizza Calabrese (had a spicy bite, and I grabbed some whenever he wasn't looking!!)....

Uncharacteristic for me, I tried the most expensive by-glass red wine on their list, and I could even tell it was outstanding. Had two glasses, in fact, and walked home to be able to tell about it. It was the Montepulciano D'Abrusso Inferi (Italy). I got the sense, through the somewhat broken, "I'll share my English, if you share your French", that this is one of their pet wines, and it is a great choice on Bello's part.

Dessert. Couldn't possibly have fit it in, but did. We each had a cappucino, and shared the chocolate cake (not quite what they called it on the menu). Yum.

Bello! Swishy. Wonderful. A must-go-back!

Oakville, Canada
“BELLO IS FANTASTIC!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Bonjour! This past summer 2013, I visited my native land (I now live in Toronto). The bellman at a local hotel suggested we try the hotest restaurant Bello Ristorante. We were able to get in to Bello Ristorante by the skin on our teeth. This was quite a feat as it was extremely busy and we did not have reservations. The owner himself seated us. The experience was fantastic! From the sidewalk-side service we received (by the owner himself) to the perfect service received by the servers to the amazing food, the whole experience was a perfect 10!! We frequent restaurants weekly and have never dined so well. I highly recommend this restaurant for the ambiance, the service, the food and the washrooms! Bon appétit!

• Visited July 2013