“Price doesn't equal product” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Portofino Bistro

Restaurant Portofino Bistro
54 Rue Couillard, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 3T3, Canada (Downtown Quebec City)
(418) 692-8888
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Port Perry, Canada
“Price doesn't equal product”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Perhaps more 2.5 than 2. I had mixed reservations about coming here based on some reviews but it was recommended by the front desk, it was a 5 min. walk from the hotel and my dining partner wanted Italian so off we went. We didn't have a reservation so I guess I can't complain about having to sit in a little room away from the main restaurant but it felt like I was sitting at the children's table. After viewing the menu and trying to decide between the $25 pizzas and the $30 pastas, I went for the table d'hotel. My partner ordered the veal parmagiana but got the chicken - could've have been a language thing, who knows, but I got the sense the waiter was good at turning tables and may have missed it in his haste. My appetizer was scallop ceviche - I was expecting nice raw scallops with some citrus and spice. What I got was something you'd see in a self-serve section of a grocery store - mushy scallops swimming in olive oil and balsamic. Seafood linguine for the main course and I even asked the waiter if the seafood was fresh - "of course!" he said. I'm sure the mini, pre-cooked salad shrimp were fresh at some point before they were cooked, frozen and put on a boat to Canada - ditto for the scallops and for whatever else was in the dish (supposedly clams but they were microscopic and, therefore, unidentifiable). Sauce was olive oil based - nothing special. Creme brulee for dessert was only so-so, mushy and tasteless. My dining partner said the veal/chicken parmagiana was okay but I noticed it only came with a side of pasta and the waiter never inquired if she wanted something else. Wines are marked up around 300% - bill was around $130 for what I calculated the cost to be around $25 (food and wine). The place was packed so either I ordered the wrong thing and should've stuck to pizza or the marketing guy who said location, location, location had it right. Or maybe P.T. Barnum is more apt here...?

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Great restaurant! Will definitely go again... and again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went to Portofino last weekend with a date. Their thin crust Pizza is something worth trying. I had the Pizza Gladiator (Salami,italien sausages, ham and meatballs), delicious! The decoration gives the place a cozy look and the service that was given to us was pretty good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Candiac, Quebec, Canada
“Good food and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Caesar salad is very good and so is the Fettuccine with mushrooms and truffle oil. The live music was very nice but maybe a little too loud for friends to really enjoy their conversation. The server was great and so was the wine he suggested with our meal. We definitely will go back!

Visited February 2013
Scotland
“Very poor food, cheap ingredients, dried herbs, poor service, overpriced.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I went there with my wife and 2 children. My wife ordered shrimp linguine. The shrimp were tiny (like a 1970s prawn cocktail). I ordered the pizza which came covered in dried herbs in a premade base. Terrible.

The waiter could barely hide his contempt whilst serving us.

For 30 bucks for a plate of pasta I expect more.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York
“GOOD ITALIAN IN CANADA-WHO KNEW!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant tonight and I have to admit I was leary. Growing up in New York City there are very few places I trust for Italian food besides NYC. & Italy. This restaurant had me pleasantly surprised. The restaurant was busy and we didn't have a reservation but were seated immediately at a table near the bar. My kids had bambino pizza which was just half of the regular size @ $10 each with French fries. While the fries were really good they weren't needed and it would have been more economical to order a whole pie and have them split it. I ordered pasta pomodoro and my husband linguini with clam sauce. Both were portioned perfectly and delicious. We also had wine which was a bit pricey but yummy. All in all while the prices may be a little high for some they are pretty compatible with New York and I found nothing to complain about. They even had a really good musician playing guitar. I would definitely go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere