“Fun place...Food Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 1,227 Restaurants in Quebec City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Fun place...Food Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I went to Lapin Saute last evening since it was our first night in Quebec City and we hadn't made reservations anywhere (which of course meant everything was booked). We were seated after 30 minutes which is what the girl at the front told us it would be (they don't take reservations for outside and it is a waiting list). The great part was we were able to go next door and have a drink while we waited.

It actually ended up being 30 minutes to be seated inside which was fine since at that point we were very hungry. The waitress was very accommodating even willing to bear with my subpar French or speak to us in English without any attitude.

I ordered the Filet since I was a little hesitant to order the Rabbit while my BF ordered the Rabbit with two sauces. We also ordered the Escargots as an appetizer. While all of it was good, none of it was amazing. The filet was a bit dry even though I ordered it Medium-Rare but it was still edible. The rabbit which I did end up trying was ok as well although BF said it was good (better than the filet). My favorite part was actually the dessert. I had the Strawberry Shortcake with Lavender which was really nice and BF had the Maple Syrup Creme Brulee. I felt compelled to write this review because based on reviews I had read on Tripadvisor, I expected this meal to be outstanding.

Based on prices I have seen at other recommended restaurants, I would say that Lapin Saute is definitely less expensive but that's not saying a whole lot considering we spent $100 Canadian dollars (unfortunately more than $100 US thanks to the exchange rate) for one app, two entrees, two drinks, and two desserts. I think that part of the problem is the major taxes imposed on all the food and drink in Quebec City so I won't fault the restaurant for that.

The atmosphere was great with fun little rabbits everywhere and the service was very friendly although a bit slower than the US but that's pretty typical. I would definitely go to the restaurant again, I just wouldn't go with such high expectations and then maybe my review would rank it higher. I suggest going but not assuming that this meal will completely amaze you.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Ottawa
“Good food. Patio on warm night was divine.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Rabbit cassoulet was very tasty. French onion soup was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
santa Clara, CA
“Good food and great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We ahe eaten ther twice, a year apart and enjoyed it both times. try to get a terrace table under the vines, a very enjoyable location.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto
“Average food, romantic settings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was the first restaurant in Quebec City we've headed to, mostly because its tripadvisor rating. We didn't wait too long and got our table outside pretty fast. I've ordered pastry with snails, warm salad with rabbit liver and two sausages (white and blood) main course. You know what, none of these hit me. They were quite average, nothing special and it cost us 120 $ + taxes. However I can't deny that atmosphere was outstanding and rabbit theme was cute.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

If you want a Quebec dining experience without breaking the bank, this is the place. Service was excellent, food was great, ambiance was wonderful

• 4 of 5 stars Food