“Our first stop in Quebec City” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
New York City
“Our first stop in Quebec City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

On our way to our hotel in the Old City, we passed through rue Cartier. Since we were too early to check into our hotel, we decided to park and walk around. We stopped at Cafe Krieghoff for a quick bite.

Since this was our very first experience in Quebec, besides our conversation with the guard at the border, we were a little awkward. Cafe Krieghoff was packed and everyone was speaking French. It was Sunday and we'd found no place to change money, so we immediately asked the hostess if we could use American money before we sat down. She shrugged and said okay, but we could tell she wasn't too enthusiastic about it. Once we were handed menus, we realized we would be spending enough to use our credit card, so using American money no longer became an issue.

At first I started kicking myself for not buying a phrase book, but our waitress spoke to us in English as soon as she realized we didn't understand her. The busboy seemed to have a harder time with English, but he was happy to help us when we needed something.

I had a cup of coffee and my husband had a cup of hot chocolate. I liked my coffee a lot. It was really the best cup of coffee I had the entire trip. Strong, but not bitter. After a few sips we ordered a couple of bags of whole beans as gifts (which we haven't given away yet, so we don't know if it's any good). My husband absolutely loved his hot chocolate. He had 3 more cups of hot chocolate in different places throughout our trip and felt his cup at Krieghoff was the best. It wasn't sweet, but had a nice chocolate flavor. He says it was a perfect cup of hot chocolate.

He had an apple crepe, which we both liked. I had eggs, hash browns and toast. The eggs were fine. I didn't finish the potatoes since they had no flavor and were cold. The toast, a buttered baguette, was just okay. In retrospect, I wish I'd had a crepe and a second cup of coffee.

Our bill totaled $62 with tip, 2 pounds of whole bean coffee, a crepe, eggs, 1 coffee and 1 hot chocolate. We didn't think that was too much money, but we have to pay Manhattan prices when we go out to brunch, so keep that in mind.

Visited October 2011

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“NOT WORTH a DETOUR! ...= Diner !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Rated = Diner! Grubby ambiance, S-L-O-W service. Food thrown onto diner-like plate.
...Was here for Breakfast....took 15 minutes to get coffee and 25 to put in a breakfast order (arrived at 9:15am and the place was 1/2 full) ...total of 40 minutes to actually get food which was over-priced we thought....and we are used to Quebec City Food prices.

NOTHING SPECIAL. I'd be happier at McDonalds!

• Visited September 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Good hamburgers, the rest not so much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We ate dinner here twice, mostly because we wanted a not so expensive meal and because it was near the museum and our B and B. Each time one of us had the burger which was good. Our other choices, Calamari (too salty) and a Croque Monsier (not really a Croque Monsier, the menu should have called it something else) were disapointing.

Due to the weather, we ate inside. The service was good and the atmosphere cheerful and friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brasilia, DF
“Don't eat here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Slow service and bad food.
My partner and I waited one hour for our food.
The chicken was raw.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lived up to the hype.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

My partner and I came here for a brunch on our way to Musee des Beaux Arts du Quebec. I must say it lived up to the hype in our guidebook. We sat on the outside terrasse. There was a lovely array of food options, all for a reasonable price (especially in this city!). There are multiple options loaded with fresh fruit and vegetable pate, exactly what we were looking for! The waitress was extremely friendly, and we had perfect service... our water glasses were refilled twice and she did not scoff at our imperfect french.

I must say the Latin Quarter is very lovely in general, a nice retreat from the Old City.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere