“Uneven quality but great place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Cafe du Clocher Penche

Le Cafe du Clocher Penche
203 St-Joseph E, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada (Downtown Quebec City)
418-640-0597
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Cross street: Caron
“Uneven quality but great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Restaurant has a terrific feel to it. Greeting at the front door was warm and immediate, service at the bar/counter for brunch one recent Sunday was friendly, with a caveat beleo. My only disappointment was my meal. The brunch menu starts with an 'amuse' of yogurt parfait, with orange coulis, a 5 spice gelee at the bottom, topped with granola. My ordered arrived, and the server told me he was sorry but he'd bring me my amuse after my meal. Then he set down my meal. I'd ordered crab cakes on haricot verte in an herbal vinaigrette. In place of crab cakes were two large boules of what looked and tasted like mashed potatoes mixted with parsley, deep fried the day before, refrigerated overnight, then allow to come (almost) to room temp for serving. Not a morsel of crab or fish in sight. Very disappointing. They were siting on a lovely, delicious salad of haricot verte. I ate and enjoyed the salad. The bartender/barista was busy from when a server brought my plate, so by the time he checked in 15 mins or so later I had eaten the salad and given up on crab cakes, and I still had the parfait to look forward to. I didn't try to get his attention or complain because he was making espresso and cafe au lait for the whole place, including at least 2 tables of 10 or 12. Once his orders slowed down he was very friendly, but that didn't help when I was served and would have liked to check with him that the (hot?) (crab?) cakes were supposed to be cold, and not crab.
The cafe au lait comes with the meal and is delicious.
The bartender recommended Bistro B when asked for dinner suggestions. I went there and had a great dinner

• 3 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
“Must eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Service spectacular, food wonderful! The salmon tartar was light, creamy and fabulous! I could have eaten it as my entree. The veal tataki was ok not great. The veal was tough, the sauces were not flavorful but the dish was beautiful.. I do not recommend. We shared the 'duck confit cassoulet' it was wonderful! I think I could eat this dish once a week! The wines were unique with lots of depth (we each had 4 glasses- 2 red, 1 white and 1 desert) the pineapple dessert was very tasty. Sweet, light and filling. The plates are very good portions, you will not leave hungry! Bon appetit!

Ontario
“Great ambiance and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The food was delicious and artfully presented. Our server had no problem accommodating my vegetarian needs and there were two great veggie options on the menu. We dined on a nice summer evening and the open windows offered a nice breeze that made the whole experience seem very European. If you are staying in the Old Town it is well worth the journey into the city. We walked, but it took about half an hour so you must be up for a walk. Great little restaurant!

• Visited July 2012
Brandon, Florida
“Excellent cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Excellent cuisine. The kitchen brigade works wonders! We were in Quebec for the Carnival and had dinner here Saturday night. Our waiter was very patient with my halting French and made us all at ease. The food was "formidable"! The kitchen paired flavors and textures to make inspired food. The attention to detail in the various dishes was fantastic. As someone who has more than 20 years in the kitchen as a chef and cook, I salute this excellent restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
Toronto
“Very good bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Select menu, with seasonal and local products. Fine, modern and tasty cuisine. Might be too elaborated for people with simpler tastes (i.e. not used to herbs, lot of flavours).
It is definitely a place to try though if you want something different.

Visited January 2013