“Absolutely amazing!! Not to be missed.” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rang St-Denis
Description: C'est une cuisine ou se rencontrent le savoir-faire traditionnel et l'innovation contemporaine. On fait appel a tous vos sens afin que l'experience gastronomique soit des plus surprenante et memorable. Le respect et l'inspiration des produits locaux quebecois de qualite permettent de decouvrir une cuisine originale de terroir qui innove tout en introduisant les produits exceptionnels que le monde peut nous offrir. Les toutes nouvelles techniques culinaires s'immiscent au ceour des plats de gibiers qui ont fait notre reputation, mais egalement au sein des plats de la mer et des bouchees gourmandes de la fin. Tout en se soucient de l'impact ecologique des choix de produits offerts, on a developpe differentes formules de menu degustation a multiples services ou vos papilles en auront plein la bouche. Passe maitre dans l'art du souci du detail, une equipe accueillante et professionnelle vous fera vibrer a l'unisson avec le terme gastronomie.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Absolutely amazing!! Not to be missed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is one of my most favorite meals ever (and I've eaten at Minibar in DC, which is a very similar experience, as well as many michelin starred restaurants). We went all out and got the largest number of dishes (20 I think). The dinner was 'an experience' and so memorable. There were 1-3 dishes I wasnt in love with, but still found it creative, innovative, and the concepts interesting. The staff was amazing also. Since I speak French but my husband does not, I asked the waiter to describe each dish in both English and French and he was happy to oblige. This made it so exciting for me. Yes, the drive is long, but is more than worth it and my first thing to recommend to anyone visiting Quebec. Also, for the experience, I found it very reasonably priced (compared to NY/DC restaurants with similar formats).

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
karen t, Owner at Restaurant La Taniere, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your review..We are grateful that your liked your experience at La Taniere. It was a real pleasure to have you experience our restaurant.
Best regards.
Karen Therrien
Owner

New Paltz, New York
“Very good, interesting, not brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I'll preface by saying that I'm a professional chef, I appreciate other chefs who take chances and I understand what they are doing here. If you like adventuresome dining and can view a thoughtful dining experience as more than "just a meal", you'll enjoy La Taniere. If you're the type who walks , grumbling, out of experimental theater, music, or art presentations - this is not the place for you. That being said, if you're expecting Alinea on a budget, they don't quite have it "there" yet either. After 4 hours, we left satisfied in the same way that one might walk away from an art exhibit where you didn't like every piece, but were glad that you experienced the works as a whole

I'm not going to give a long description of each plate in the 20 course menu with wine pairing - every dish was well prepared and well seasoned and the wines were paired accordingly, sometimes exceptionally so. Plates which focused on only two or three flavors worked for me better than those which were cluttered with five or more, and although I thought everything was generally well seasoned, there were a few courses which relied on the accompanying wine for the flavors of the food to come together.

I know that I'm being a bit vague here...the truth is that, of 20 plates, nothing was particularly memorable. Contrast that to my clear recollection of a pigeon dish at Robuchon in December 1985, or a cauliflower soup at The French Laundry in February 1996 which changed the way I make soup...

I applaud La Taniere for their courage and their skill, but I was not blown away with the flavors.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. It is always helpfull to have an idea what the customer like and dont like. We try our best each day of the year to improve ourself and make each visit to our restaurant a great experience.
New York City, New York
“Best Meal I Ate in Canada”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

While this restaurant is a bit of a schlep from the city (we took a $50 cab each way to avoid drinking and driving), it's worth the trip. From start to finish, La Taniere was an impeccable combination of service, innovation, quality, and decadence. Our table captain, Kevin, was knowledgeable about everything he served, why the wine paired well with each course (we got the 20 course tasting menu with wine pairing), and was happy to do it in both English and French (I learned a lot of new French terms that evening!).

Some restaurants fancy themselves innovative because they employ molecular gastronomy, yet fall woefully short in the most important area-how the food tastes. I'm looking at you Comerc 24. La Taniere was tremendously creative and playful with each course, and the chef successfully created dishes that were both fun and delicious. The Cod doughnut we had as an amuse bouche stands out to my wife and me, as well as the salad on a bed of pancetta (with lavender mist in the center of the table!), the halibut, and the dehydrated salmon on a box of 'smoke.' Wow.

It costs a fair sum to eat there (think $600 for 2 for the 20 course meal with wine pairing), but it's definitely worth it. Anyone who is a foodie who visits Quebec cannot miss this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
karen t, Owner at Restaurant La Taniere, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your review, it was a real pleasure to have you at our table and make you live a new culinary experience.
Best regards,
Karen Therrien
Owner
La Tanière
Québec
“Mixed feelings...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Tanière is unique amongst Quebec city restaurant scene. The Chef obviously masters the "sous vide" and molecular cuisine technique, plating of each course is from "wow" to "nice" and flavors are from " very good " to "lots of work for nothing" ...the main down fall is the balance of the whole meal. We took the 15 courses experience, with the wine selection recommended for each course: much too much proteines,some in every course except desert. Fish, poultry, duck, austrich, deer...even if each is about an ounce in the plate, 13x1 ounce is 13 ounces of proteins PLUS all the vegetables, herbs, mini bread, mini toast mini everything very nicely presented...it is so much that you gob the last plates just to get it over with. .We experienced the 18 courses meal at the Alinea and frankly, even with their decadent desert table then, we were just fine getting out of the table...this time, we rolled over worrying of how well we would sleep with all this food! Please, review the menu ...as for the decor, it was nice when the original owner raised deer on sight and made it a specialty of the house ( The Tanière is a den ) but now, it could be time to give it a swift! Prices, with 15% added by the machine ( which is calculated after taxes on their machine, a no no as far as we were all concern) came to 240$ / person. If you go, and you should try it, keep,it at the base menu of 10 services..unless you're a 16oz and more type of eater! A tip for all ladies...their parking is in grind stone...a killer for fine heel shoes. I title this comment Mixed feelings because, for me , an essentiel quality of a chef is balance...which in present in almost each course but not in the overall menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wayland, Massachusetts, United States
“Sublime artistry in the Quebec countryside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Drop all expectations at the door and enter paradise. We dined with the La Taniere staff on a rainy Thursday evening and were led on a culinary journey like no other. Clearly the brainchild of a mad genius chef with an exceptional staff and an uncanny attention to detail. The water bottle was never out of place and the label always returned to the exact location facing forward every time. With attention like that to water bottles you can not even begin to imagine the detail paid to the food. We were led to the countryside by direction from our concierge printed out and slightly convoluted the trip there was fun and interesting through residential neighborhoods and farm country. The setting is remote and elegant at the same time. Let me just say that if you have ever wanted to leave the humdrum existence of five star restaurants far in your rear view take the plunge to a culinary adventure and a feast of the senses, go to this place and experience your food like never before. The staff, the wine, food, and certainly not least the presentation are remarkable. In this time of fast dining and get them in and out mentality the four hours we spent with the amazing staff was both a pleasure and we felt, a privilege. Something we will never forget.

We ordered the revolution, the 20 course option, with wine pairings, it was a big job for me and probably a bit of a stretch for my companion. She probably should have gone with the 15 course option. And truthfully that would have been enough for me also, but we splurged an I do not regret 1 bite. An exceptional adventure reminiscent of special occasions gone by and a memory for the books. I applaud the wonderfully creative chef and his outstanding staff! I cannot recommend this establishment enough, but do not be fooled this place is very pricey but worth every penny, and minute spent there. Enjoy an be awakened!