“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Le Hobbit

Cafe Le Hobbit
700 Rue St-Jean, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 1P9, Canada (Downtown Quebec City)
(418) 647-2677
Neighborhood: Downtown Quebec City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

All I had was onion soup. As an onion soup lover, I was disappointed to find the soup here to be mediocre, at best. Tasted like they use vegetable broth instead of beef -- gave it a thin, sweet taste. And I wish the cheese on top had been melted and charred a little more.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Nanaimo, Canada
“Excellent food, cozy atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was our first visit to Québec City, and we were wandering around looking to see what sort of restaurants caught our eye. The menu outside this restaurant did it for us, as it was definitely not the run-of-the-mill diner/resto-pub/tourist trap that we were seeing elsewhere in the area.
The selection on the menu was small, but that is not a bad thing. I see that one reviewer wrote that the menu was quite extensive, which was not my experience. We were there for lunch, so perhaps the menu changes at dinner. There were 4 or 5 courses available when we visited, and I suspect that the menu probably changes frequently (with seasonal availability of certain items, perhaps).
The food was excellent. I ordered a trout chowder with smoked paprika, and my wife ordered a chicken pasta with artichoke hearts. The portion sizes were great (we left feeling satisfied, not stuffed), and the food was delicious. The chefs do not go overboard with crazy ingredients, although I wouldn't call the food 'basic' by any means, I just mean that the ingredients were fresh and skillfully cooked. At the end of each meal, a tea or coffee is included in the price.
The restaurant itself is small, perhaps 12 tables, plus 6 (?) bar seats. It was about half-full when we were there, but there were no problems hearing ourselves talk (i.e. no overwhelmingly loud music playing or anything like that). Due to the size of the restaurant, the low noise levels, and the decor (tasteful, browns and beiges, accent lighting), I would describe the overall atmosphere as 'intimate' or 'cozy'. Probably a great place to go on a date!
The service was very good. The wait staff was there when you needed them, and not intrusive when you didn't. I can speak a bit of French, but my wife cannot, and when the waiter picked up on that he switched to English, so there were no communication issues (both waiters with whom we dealt spoke both English and French fluently).
Finally, the prices were very reasonable for a restaurant of this ilk. We purchased 2 meals, 2 alcoholic beverages, and 1 dessert, and the total came to $58 (this includes taxes and tip).
There was nothing about my visit to this restaurant that I would call a 'con'...everything was a 'pro'! Overall, I highly recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner if you happen to be in Québec City.

• Visited October 2012
San Diego, California
“Excellent ambiance, top notch food, attentive service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My favorite element of this restaurant is the ambiance. Very cozy, perfect for couples or any gathering of close friends. The menu is quite extensive, larger than the menu of any other restaurant at which I dined in QC. I will definitely come back to Le Hobbit the next time I'm in Quebec City.

• Visited October 2012
Ottawa
“Great neighbourhood restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I dined here in early Sept with my husband and brother-in-law. All three of us enjoyed our meals. The presentation was attractive and the food was delicious. The price was fair. This could be called our favourite place on Rue St Jean

• Visited September 2012
Arnprior, Canada
“Excellent service, friendly staff fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

the bilingual staff are efficient, friendly with a pleasant sense of humour, the food is delicious, and not expensive

Visited October 2012