“Cute Boutique Hotel with Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Champlain Hotel

You added Le Champlain Hotel to your Saves list
Le Champlain Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   115 Rue Sainte-Anne, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 3X6, Canada   |
Announcement
Breakfast included!
Ranked #17 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Florida
“Cute Boutique Hotel with Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We had to book a junior suite to accommodate 3 people. 2 in a KING size bed and one on sleeper sofa.. for a "SUITE" the room was small but cozy with a spa bathtub in next to living area. The decor was charming. The bathroom was very very small and our soap dispensers did not work but left a note for the management and they had it fixed immediately. The bed had a feather bed topper which made for more comfort but I might suggest that they get new bed linens. There were a few holes in the sheets. The service at this Hotel was great. Front desk was very helpful..they helped us rent a car for the day. The Hotel offered free"continental" breakfast served till 10 or 11 am and had a eating area on the first floor. . My favorite was the raisin bread and the espresso machine that I used daily. Our room was on the 5th floor with a nice view overlooking St, Anne St. This hotel is located within the walls of Quebec City. We arrived via train from Montreal and had to take a taxi to hotel...remember Quebec City is a very walkable city but has the lower city where the train station is and is a major climb with luggage so it is best to take a taxi to the hotel approx $8.00. Also there is parking for your car for $20.00 nightly fee. I would stay there again...and this hotel seems more of a romantic boutique hotel with their small rooms, but it worked also for a girls get away.

Room Tip: It appears that there are a few choices in the rooms.. We had the junior suite which was still smal...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments! I'm pleased to read that you had the junior suite, one of the nicest room is our hotel. You said that the room was a bit small, but comparing to most of hotels in Quebec City, all the rooms of the Champlain Hotel are a lot larger than the rest of the competition.

We just changed the linen following to your comments. We are always trying to make every room a new one everytime a new guest get in! Please accept my apologies for the holes you saw in your linen, it should'nt happen again.

Thank you for making the Champlain Hotel your new "home away for home" in Quebec City!

Marc-André

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

In the heart of old town Quebec this is a clean, quiet hotel in 5 minutes walking distance of all old town attractions!

It's quite a small hotel. We were situated on the 4th floor which was quiet. Rooms have a boutique feel to them with modern furniture.

Staff are helpful and friendly - willing to make sure your stay is up to their standards!

Will definitely stay at the hotel again!

• Stayed July 2012
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you very much for choosing the Champlain Hotel! As you are indicating, if you come back to Quebec City you will pick the Champlain Hotel again for your stay... This is a very good mark of trust! This is wonderful!

As I read in your review, you were here in July 2012... I hope you went to the Festival d'été de Québec (Quebec Summer Festival) and you had the chance to see one of the great shows on the Plains of Abraham! If not, you definitively have to come back next year in July to see this!

Thanks again for your good review about us,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The front staff were helpful when you ask questions, but I wouldn't say they were attentive. A guy right next to the elevator was totally indifferent to us struggling to manage all the luggage upstairs. He could have at least stop looking at a monitor and offered a a help. Other reviewer said that you can drink coffee at the lobby for free anytime, but now they charge $1. Just so you know... I think teas are for free. We stayed in a junior suite room and had a great view of beautiful historic buildings (the first prison in Canada I believe) across the street. The room was spotless clean and the decors were carefully and tastefully chosen. Kids enjoyed the Jacuzzi at the corner of the room (no door/wall) very much. The coffee table had missing glass pieces that must have been broken which I hoped they'd replaced. The breakfast area was also nicely decorated modern/classical. Don't forget to try the pork pate; it tasted so good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to let us your impression about our property. Our employees are trained to be pro-active, I'm really sorry to read that one of them was so focussed on what he was doing that we didn't help you with your luggage... I will remind them to keep focus on customer service before the rest of their tasks! This is our top priority!

However, please let me rectify a very important fact regarding our coffee machine... It's always COMPLEMENTARY FOR OUR GUESTS. No guests from the Champlain Hotel has to pay to get a coffee. We only charge $1 for the people outside of the hotel, as visitors from other hotels or local people.

Thank you for reporting the dammage on the coffee table in your room, I will have all of them checked to make sure that they are not dangerous for children. Consider it done and resolved!

Best regards,

lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Wonderful, cheerful,considerate staff. We were upgraded to a superior suite. Excellent location in the heart of old Quebec. Free espresso and cappuccino. Breakfast, also included, was ok.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Bonjour!

Thank you for this amazing review... This is excellent!

I'm glad to see that you have been upgraded! We always try to upgrade some reservations when it's possible... I hope you had the time to enjoy the nice view you had from your superior room!

Thanks again for choosing the Champlain Hotel... I hope it will be your choice one more time for your next visit to Quebec City!

Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

After touring Canada for 10 days staying in big chain hotels like Hilton & Marriott decided to try a
small, coxy, "boutique " style hotel for our end of vacation in Quebec city. Wanted something inside the walls, charming, walking distance to major sights. Based on the reviews given on this forum, opted for the Le Champlain hotel. Besides .... it was about a very limited hotel option that was available for 3 guests. Unfortunately, NOT the best decision. Probably got the worst room of the house (#23). Dingy, small ( a double bed with a horrible sleeping sofa for the third guest) with a minuscule bathroom that had the most disgusting green shower curtain ever with a lining that
continuosly stuck to your skin when showering. Not to mention the hand shower that was not able to stand on its place when opened. Surprisinly the bath sink was very nice ... a bowl with a goldfish motive, sitting on a modern glass table. No soaps, just the three container gym style dispenser with a shower gel, shampoo & conditioner. For your hands there was a bowl on the sink with a foam-type liquid.... do not know if it was antibacterial at all. The bed linens were deteriorated, one sheet had a hole on it. There was NO comforter whatsoever, just a paper-thin blanket (although there was a ticker blanket on the closet that I used to give a little cushion to my side of the bed) & and the most hard, uncorfortable bed I have experienced in
my life. It was just a slightly thin mattress resting on a wooden platform. After a horrible night experience for the three of us, early morning went to the front desk, complained as polite as possible. In my appreciation (sometimes the body language speaks more than the words) the staff at the front desk were not so fond with my complain but I was not going to settle for nothing but a room change in compliance with basic requests for the $280.00 per night price paid.
Thankfully was promised a change of room & the one given (#15) was way much better. Larger in size with two double beds, a "fireplace", a slightly bigger bathroom with a nicer shower curtain, a decent bathtub & a working shower. Some cushion was put on each bed that made up a bit for still the worst matress ever. The bed creaked so much every time you moved that it was a joke... so we all decided to laugh & go with the flow. It was only 2 more nights.
As nothing is 100% bad, following are some pros..... hotel was in a quiet street, walking distance
to all the sights. Wi-fi was free & worked beautifully. Included breakfast was adequate along with the coffee/expresso machine. Lobby was minuscule but cozy with a computer that was available most of the time. Parking was available on the premises, probably for a fee (did not have a car)
From what I saw, during our stay specifically, most of the guest were either Canadians on holidays or europeans & some orientals. Not that many americans at all. This hotel reminds me much of europeans hotels, probably 2/3*, but IMHO the price was extremely high for what was it has to offer. For me, to be honest, in the future will stick to the big chain hotels everywhere.. Overall experience at this hotel was a 3, due to the room change. If not.... I will have giving it a 1. Sorry... but will NOT recommend this hotel to family & fiends.

Room Tip: If possible ask to see the room first. Higher floors ( if elevator is available) Quiet rooms are usu...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bonjour,

First of all, thank you for your comments. They are very appreciated. I'm really sorry for the bad experience you had at the hotel, please make sure that I'll do the follow-ups on all those things. On behalf of the entire staff of the hotel, I would like to apologize for all the inconvenience.

Let me come back on a few points in your review that caught particularly my attention:

The room you had is a superior room with a queen size bed and a pull-out couch. For 3 adults, it's always better to opt for any other rooms with 2 real beds. For around $20 or $30 more per night, you may obtain instead another room a lot more spacious and comfortable for 3 guests.

The superior room is perfect for one or two people, such a couple. It's why we offered you the second day a free upgrade to a deluxe room with 2 queen size beds. The front desk agent felt very concerned about that matter and did her best to accommodate your needs as quickly as possible without any extra cost.

The cleanliness of the rooms are our priority. So you can make sure that the shower curtains in the rooms are changed and cleaned after each stay. Regarding the soap dispensers, we changed them a few months ago to offer to our valuable guests better products. We are proud to have "Fruits & Passion" products in all our rooms. This is a very high quality Canadian brand renowned for their original lines of products. And yes, they are antibacterial.

In most of the rooms, there is a pillow top mattress to make it softer. It's always possible to request for another one if you want your bed even more softer.

We were listening to your needs and tried to help you at the best we could. I invite you to come back to our property and give us another try, I'm sure you won't be desappointed.

Customer service is our trademark!

Best regards,

Fall River, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My fiance and I really enjoyed our stay at this boutique hotel. The location was perfect, the staff was incredibly friendly, and our room was huge with a fantastic view and a big hot tub! We got great dining tips from the staff and owner. The free breakfast was tasty, and try the mocha coffee from the coffee maker. I do have a complaint though, we were looking for a room with a fireplace; Hotel Champlain advertised a fireplace, however, it was just a space heater with a flickering light inside. That was disappointing but the hot tub made up for it :) The bed was incredibly firm. Some people like that so it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Room Tip: Book a room with a hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bonjour,

Thank you very much for the time you spent to let us your good impression of our establishment! This is very appreciated!

It's always to good to know when we do bad to help us to improve ourselves, but it's a lot better when the people are taking the time to share some positive feedbacks about their experience with us!

Our coffee machine is our signature... Everybody in town talks about it! Some guests even choose to stay at the Champlain Hotel for the coffee machine! I hope you tried the café latté, this is the best one for me!

This true, we advertise a fireplace... But the ones we have in the hotel are electric. They are used as heater in winter and they are decorative the rest of the time. They look so realistic that some people thinks that this is real fire!

Looking forward to see you back with your fiancé,

Timmins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Champlain for the St Jean Baptiste weekend and it was wonderful. We showed up before our room was ready and they were willing to keep our luggage and bring it up to our room for us since we had a guided tour shortly after our arrival. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They provided us with an umbrella on our last day, even thought we had checked out. They also stored our luggage for us for the day in order for us to continue exploring their beautiful city as our flight was not until 7pm. The hotel is situated on a quiet street. I can attest to this as our room was facing the street and the night of the the St Jean Baptiste celebrations, we did not hear anything from the party goers. The hotel is a short walk from everything, especially Rue St Jean, which is populated with great stores, restaurants and scenic scenes. I would love to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Bonjour,

I hope you had a great stay during the St-Jean-Baptiste week-end in Quebec City, because Quebecers are celebrating with energy "their" Quebec Day! This is the perfect week-end to discover the French Canadian culture, with all the activities to do around the city for this occasion.

Are you going to come back next year for the same week-end? Let me know, I'll do something special just for you!

See you next year!