“Care for thingies?” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Care for thingies?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Patente et Machin both mean "thingy" in French and here you can have small thingies (appetizers), normal thingies (entrees) and big thingies (entrees for 2). Most of those thingies are rich in calories, meaty and hearty, following a trend for this sort of food which is popular in Quebec these days, especially among guys in their early 30s who were in large number the night we booked there.

Small thingies were a bit too small though. That was the case of the duck gizzard salad, which could be more generous. Same thing with the scallops.

Regular thingies were more generous, quality and quantities. The pork and the sweetbread had a similar presentation, in a sauce with small potatoes and root veggies, but if you like sweetbread, let me tell you that its one of the best I ever eaten.

The couple with us shared a big thingy of juicy lamb chops cooked in their own fat they said was delicious, to the point I know what I'll order in my next visit.

So, if you care for meaty thingies in a relaxed atmosphere in a part of Quebec City that is in "evolution", you should appreciate this place.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Good food, nice place, great ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Good food, nice place, great ambiance... the title says it all !
Had a nice evening with my boyfriend, the place was surprisingly crowed for a late dinner. Small restaurant with great tasting food.

Visited February 2013
Dallas, Texas
“It was just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I really really wanted to like this place but I was disappointed. Even the driver(college age) that drove us there was raving about how great it is so my expectation was really high. The pasta with long neck clams was very good. The squid salad was ok...had better. I was most disappointed with the pork dish. Yes it was tender but was not exciting...reminded me of a chicken breast. I can understand why the younger crowd like this place...the music is energetic, the wait staff is very energetic. Food was just ok.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Warm and welcoming atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff, great food. Had three appetizers (petites patentes) and a desert, totally decadent. Great wine and spirits choice. Chef-owners often the if you want to discuss the menu. Rally fresh ingredients. Yes, you have to put a hand in your wallet, but totally worth it for me. Book at least a week before.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Expensive for what???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We come out of this restaurant and we were very disappointed ... Our plates which took considerable time to come out were totally unsatifactory. First on the quantity, a snails risotto with 4 snails is ridiculous especially for the price. And for my part, the side of piglet was very fat and when I was finished with the little meat that was there, I had to satisfy myself with, a little mashed sweet potato, one carrot, a half mini-potato and a mini bokchoy. That's an hour I went out and I'm still hungry. Secondly, the service is poor. When we mentioned to our server-owner dissatisfaction about quantities, his response was: "It is because we want people to take an entrance,,," WOW! In this case, drop your price champion!

• Visited October 2012