“It was just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dallas, Texas
“It was just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I really really wanted to like this place but I was disappointed. Even the driver(college age) that drove us there was raving about how great it is so my expectation was really high. The pasta with long neck clams was very good. The squid salad was ok...had better. I was most disappointed with the pork dish. Yes it was tender but was not exciting...reminded me of a chicken breast. I can understand why the younger crowd like this place...the music is energetic, the wait staff is very energetic. Food was just ok.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Quebec City, Canada
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Warm and welcoming atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff, great food. Had three appetizers (petites patentes) and a desert, totally decadent. Great wine and spirits choice. Chef-owners often the if you want to discuss the menu. Rally fresh ingredients. Yes, you have to put a hand in your wallet, but totally worth it for me. Book at least a week before.

• Visited October 2012
Quebec City, Canada
“Expensive for what???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We come out of this restaurant and we were very disappointed ... Our plates which took considerable time to come out were totally unsatifactory. First on the quantity, a snails risotto with 4 snails is ridiculous especially for the price. And for my part, the side of piglet was very fat and when I was finished with the little meat that was there, I had to satisfy myself with, a little mashed sweet potato, one carrot, a half mini-potato and a mini bokchoy. That's an hour I went out and I'm still hungry. Secondly, the service is poor. When we mentioned to our server-owner dissatisfaction about quantities, his response was: "It is because we want people to take an entrance,,," WOW! In this case, drop your price champion!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York, NY
“Don't miss is right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were here in June when Ketchup was closed. There isn't even a sign for it over the door. An unbelievably long menu is on the chalkboard over the open kitchen, and the enthusiastic waiter/host read it all. We were dazzled by the ingredients and range, and then floored by the flavors of our selections.

A side benefit to finding restaurants like Patente, it forces you out of the tourist-packed old town and into some of the really interesting and fun other neighborhoods like Limolou and Rue St-Joseph.

• Visited June 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Don't miss this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

What can we say about the food here? Our host recommended it...so glad. Location is off the tourist beat. They were full for dinner, so we sat at the bar. The chef's skill level was impressive to watch, but even more impressive to eat. We ordered home made onion rings served with honey and aged cheese. Then the seafood appetizer with crab cakes, an oyster, mussels, and calamari. Then we split the duck and gnocchi. Dessert was a bread pudding w/sauce. Every bite made my husband and I look at each other and smile. The owner was explaining the menu choices to a large party in great detail. When he finished, they applauded! At one point, the whole staff suddenly raised their glasses in some kind of toast. We don't speak French but I think I know what they were saying. They really care about food here!

• Visited August 2012