We visited Quebec City in mid August 2013 with 4 other couples. We all stayed here on advice from one of our party who is French speaking Canadian. We were delighted with the location and the ammenities of the hotel. The staff is helpful and attentive and the rooms are comfortable and clean. They provide a nice continental breakfast (Delicious bakery goods Croissants, scones, muffin, fruit or yogurt) which is delivered to each room each morning. Some rooms have microwave and refrigeration. The building is ancient but looks recently remodeled and feels very upscale. There is no ice down the hall and it does not appear to be at all handicapped accessible.
I would not recommend for younger families either, as there is no kid oriented area. For adults who are in reasonably good shape I would not hesitate to recommend it. You need to walk when you are in QC and there are plenty of great shops and eateries nearby (seaport, farmers market and train station where there are several nice upscale restaurants), but much of the old city is a healthy walk up a steep hill. Or you can take the Funicular tram to the top of the hill for a few Loonies. We stayed 3 nights and were delighted. We did not eat at the hotel cafe/restaurand but I noticed that it was usually full at meal times. The weather was a bit cool while we were there but we did not get rained upon. The check-in may be tricky as you need to park on the side walk to bring luggage in, up several stairs -no ramp. You park across the street for $10 per night. We never used the car in 3 days.
I would definitely choose this hotel next time I return to QC.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in downtown Quebec, in the heart of Old Quebec City, Hotel des Coutellier is one of the nicest and charming Old Port Inn. For a romantic weekend getaway, a hotel meeting, honeymoon or family vacations, one of our hotel package will fulfill your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel des Coutellier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Des Coutellier Hotel
- Des Coutellier Quebec City
- Hotel Des Coutellier Quebec/Quebec City