“Great Location ... needs a refresh” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Palace Royal
775, Avenue Honore-Mercier, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 6A5, Canada   |
Ranked #42 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Montreal, Qc
“Great Location ... needs a refresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been staying at the Palace Royal for years ! It has a great location if you feel like experiencing old Quebec or if you are participating at a convention at the convention center.
It is just 1-2 blocks away from great shops, restaurants and even convience stores.
Parking is not that expensive compared to other places and you have easy access (unlimited in and out) to your vehicule. The only thing about this great place is the decor. the old victorian atmosphere is starting to look outdated.

Room Tip: Rooms (suites) with seperate bath and sink are great when you are 3 or 4 guests. Ask for a room wit...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Longueuil, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed the stay very much, the location is great - a stones throw from St John's Gate.
The room was overlooking the street and my daughter loved looking out at all the the buses passing. I thought it would be too noisy with all the traffic but did not find it like that at all. The room had a separate living room area allowing us to watch TV / relax when our daughter went to bed.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Langley City, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I went to this hotel back in July along with our 2 young kids (ages 3 years and 4 months). We were there for 2 nights while we visited the city of Quebec.

Overall our experience in Quebec was very good. We loved the old city and the location of the hotel. However our experience with the hotel was very poor.

Initially, everything looks beautiful inside of the lobby and pool area. Although when checking in I requested an infant crib which was an extra $10 per night. I also asked for a pool view however the pool views were also an extra $10 per night. I took the crib however I was getting annoyed at their cheap attitude to simple requests.

We then got into our room and there were found a lot of finishing details incomplete (floor boards, wallpaper, etc.). At first these were not a problem however the air conditioning inside of the room was not working and when inquired at the front desk, they seemed annoyed that I was bothering them. They did send maintenance however they failed to fix the problem and then when I asked for a room changed the front desk again seemed annoyed by my request but did reassign us to a new room with working air conditioning.

The next morning we noticed drilling noises from a neighboring room or floor however this was not a problem as we left early for sightseeing. The next morning however we stayed in the room a bit longer and the construction noises were much more annoying. This finally pushed me to request a meeting with the manager during our checkout. The manager was not in at the time and I spoke to the assistant manager who logged a complaint however I also requested a call from the main manager when they were available. I never received a call back which further confirmed their lack of customer service and hospitality.

Overall my biggest issue with this hotel was their lack of customer service. I was not being difficult and yet they acted very annoyed with my requests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I often stay at Palace Royal when visiting Quebec city. It was our first experience with a child. We love the rooms (always clean and confortable), the location is ideal to visit the town or to get around (as it is just by the highway). However, every time we feel like this hotel is being let down by the staff during breakfast. This time around, we first had a waitress who clearly indicated, straight after saying hello, that we were better to order one of the specials and to keep in mind service wasn't included. She gave us a shooter of juice (was gone in 2 zips), never cared about our child and didn't know how to smile. She ran after customers in the hallway to get her tip (which she didn't deserve), including ourselves when we were ready to leave to give us a blank copy to add tip to the room (not that we wanted to give her any). The next day, we had a lazy waiter who took an hour to bring us our orders. And we were with a one year old child! Next time we might just go out somewhere else to have breakfast.

New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hotel Palace Royal is a great hotel for families with children. Not only are the rooms very spacious, but there is a really nice indoor pool that kids will love. If you happen to get an "interior" room then you would actually have a balcony that directly overlooks the pool in the center of the hotel. The positive with these rooms is that it is a nice balcony to have breakfast on or watch the pool below. The only negative is that there is a slight scent of chlorine in these rooms.

If you happen to have an outside room then you will have a floor to ceiling window that overlooks Quebec city. I stayed in room 709 and it was a general suite. There was a very comfortable (memory foam) Queen size bed and a double pull out couch in a separate living room that is divided by double doors. The pull out couch is not the most comfortable, but it would work well for kids.

The room is clean and the decor is fine. Nothing too special, but certainly not bad in any way. There is a tv in both the bedroom and living room which is nice so that if you are staying with others you can watch something different at night.

The hotel is only 1.5 blocks from the wall of the old city. This provides great access to all the shopping and tourists sites you can imagine. Restaurants, souvenir shops, clothing shops are all literally just steps away from this hotel, but since it is 'outside' the wall, you get this access for a bit of a cheaper price.

Be sure to check their 'specials' often as they tend to have sales and discounts for their rooms.

Overall I am very satisfied with this hotel and would return again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Great location to the old city and decent place however I'm not sure how they can say they are a 4 star hotel-must be the metric system? Place needs a makeover and have not seen sliding glass shower doors for 20 years. The soap dispensers make it look more travel lodge than fairmont. However place was clean and beds comfy.

Templepatrick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The smell of chlorine from the central indoor pool tends to let its presence known. The atrium rooms overlook the pool, more traditional ones the surrounding streets. Two days on Quebec is enough to see it. The hotel is in a good location a couple of blocks fgom the parliament and 15 min walk from the station.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hotel Palace Royal? Share your experiences!