“unique food, expertly prepared” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bar Harbor
“unique food, expertly prepared”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Unique food, expertly prepared in a cozy environment.I particularly enjoyed the lamb( seen in the photo) served over flatbread with maple carmelized onions. The staff was knowledgable, and very friendly. Special thanks to the waitress who helped us get a cab faster on a cold nite.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Larchmont, NY
“Best meal in Quebec”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our first and best meal during our long weekend in Quebec City. From the theatrical translation of the chalkboard menu to the last bite of dessert, this was a memorable dining experience. Tiny and casual, and warm on a frigid night, with the simple stove visible from the table, our family of four passed the plates around for everyone to sample, then voted on the winners. Best appetizer: foie gras and ris de veau tied; main course: the duck with black lentils edged the lamb flank. Great regional food in a setting as hip as Williamsburg Brooklyn! Try also the sister restaurant down the street: Patente et Machin.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“Overrated and rude service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I decided to eat at this restaurant with my partner after reading positive reviews on this place; however, I was very disappointed.

Both of our appetizers were either too buttery (i had ordered the fish lotte with beans) or too salty (remoulade of scallops). As a result, it was hard to appreciate the flavor of the fish (unless of course, you love butter).

Regarding the main course, my partner had ordered bison brisket and I, bison sirloin. Though my dish was semi-tough but edible, my partner's brisket was not. The meat was extremely tough and impossible to cut through. I have eaten beef / bison brisket at many French restaurants in Montreal, and I understand that the brisket is normally a bit tougher than other parts of the bison, but he seriously could not cut it at all (he almost sawed through the plate). Furthermore, the veins were still showing and could not be cut either. My guessing is that we had been served an old piece of meat and/or that the quality was not up to par.

I returned the dish back to the waitress and informed her that I did not want to pay for a dish that I could not cut through. In response, she replied that she was not going to pay for my education regarding my knowledge on meat cuts.

Overall, this place is highly overrated and not as good as it seems to be in terms of food quality. Furthermore, the service went from extremely polite to extremely rude in a blink of an eye, despite serving us a bad piece of meat. This is not the quality that I was expecting, and I definitely suggest that you try other places instead.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Amazing Quebec City Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I was in Quebec city with my boyfriend and coming from Montreal we thought there wouldn't be any good restaurants in this city... we were so worng! The menu is small but amazing! I had the ris de veau and my boyfriend had the grilled octopus with Canadian bacon both of which were excellent! The meal continued with a decadent duck and black lentils which was to die for! They also have many microbrewery beers which is nice to see compared to the big name brands. Going back to Quebec City next month and I will absolutely be going back! The only thing is the restaurant is small so make reservations!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa
“Worth the walk, excellent dishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Reservations a must, as mentioned by others; on a cold night, arrive a bit earlier so you don't get the last table like we did. Despite a hardworking space heater in the entryway, our feet got just a bit chilly as several waves of non-reserving hopefuls held the door open for a chat before being turned away.
The waitstaff explain the dishes in excellent English as well as French; pay attention, as the chalkboard menu doesn't have nearly all the details. They know their wine recommendations, too. Guineafowl, quail, wild mushrooms, bison among the appetizers; we had a fantastic duck confit and piglet loin for our mains. It might not have been an easy restaurant to bring a vegetarian to... but we were very happy, as were all the others around us. Despite its tiny size, there is plenty of elbow room and privacy for conversation. With 20 diners arriving more or less simultaneously for each sitting, it's possible you'll end up waiting a bit for your first bite to eat (bread wasn't served till the appetizers arrived), so do bring someone you want to talk to.
The restaurant is about a half-hour walk from the upper part of the old city. Well worth it. Strong value for money at $150 a couple with wine and tip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere