“Real Eyeopener” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Royal William

You added Hotel Royal William to your Saves list
Hotel Royal William
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   360 Boulevard Charest Est, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 3H4, Canada   |
Ranked #44 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fenelon Falls Ontario
“Real Eyeopener”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Travelled by train to Quebec City. Required a hotel within walking distance of train station. Found an Ascend Brand within 15 minutes walking. Very impressed with the lobby. They found my reservation very quickly. Checked me in and off to the room. The room was very clean and nicely laid out. View out the window is of an alley. Then it was off to find a local restaurant. Did not eat in the hotel restaurant. After a good walk I found one that had chicken souvlaki., Great meal and a walk back to the hotel. Great to relax and watch TV. Had a good nights rest and off to the continental breakfast. Unfortunately not much for eating fruit for breakfast so I paid an extra to have French toast and sausages. Check out was fast. Walkes back to train station to catch my bus to my destination.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Sophie S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal William, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
First, I would like to thank you for your great review! It's an absolute pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us. It is much appreciated to know that the cleanliness and comfort of our rooms were up to your expectations. I hope to see you again during your next stay in Quebec city !

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

It's a simple place - the rooms are very large and spacious.
The hotel offer credit at nearby restaurant for breakfast and it's actually a great place to splurge on an awesome breakfast or brunch.
There is an annoying fee for parking with the hotel but if it's the winter - it's worth it

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Sophie S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal William, responded to this review, February 24, 2015
First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments, it's really appreciated !
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us ! We hope to welcome you again !
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2015

We booked this hotel on priceline for a great deal. Overall it was a great experience.
The hotel was clean and the room was spacious although the decor was dated. The staff was very friendly, helpful and spoke English well. The continental breakfast included in the stay was actually a $7 credit towards breakfast at the attached restaurant which was fantastic. The restaurant staff was friendly and there was a good variety of breakfast foods (bacon & eggs or waffles etc) and it was tasty.
The location was not as close to the Old City as I initially believed but was close to some well reviewed restaurants. It took about 20 minutes to walk to the old city including either going up a very large outdoor staircase or taking a free elevator. This wasn't a big deal except for the -25 degree weather. We did discover the bus as a good alternative.
Lastly, the bed was incredibly uncomfortable. I woke up with a sore neck each morning, which was really the only true negative

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your great review ! We hope to see you again in your next visit in Quebec city ! Best regards,
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

I stayed here a few years ago because of the discount I get through Choice Hotels which it is affiliated with. The room looks the exact same as it did before, which was very clean but slightly dated. The old city is about 15 minutes walking, which was okay for us. A cab was about $7. I don't find there is much to do immediately around the hotel so you will to walk to the old part of the city (which is the nicest anyways).
We exchanged the continental breakfast for credit toward a hot breakfast, I think it's a good deal since for $2 we got a bacon and egg breakfast (the value of the voucher is now $7).
We talked to about four different staff members, just with quick questions and no one was overly friendly or helpful (wrong directions from one and the rest were just ambivalent). Slightly annoying.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

We stayed there on New Year's Eve and since most rooms in the Old Quebec were either expensive or sold out, we chose this hotel, and it was a very good choice. The room was quite big, and it was very comfortable. It is not far from the Faubourg (there is a free elevator that takes you up the hill that is only a five-minute walk from the hotel), and then a nice walk down St-Jean street to the Old Quebec. The staff were nice and breakfast was pretty good. You basically have $5 off every choice offered for breakfast. There are cheaper options to park your car in the area than what the hotel offers; just look around. I would go again..

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Sophie S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal William, responded to this review, January 9, 2015
First, I would like to thank you for your great review. It's such a pleasure to read that you appreciated our rooms and location. We hope to welcome you again during your next stay in Quebec city !
Steyning, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2015

I booked this hotel for two nights on Priceline, so got a good deal for a 4-star. The room had a funny smell (like mouldy carpet) and the bed turned out to be very soft and uncomfortable and a "small" double. Pillows and comforter had that cheap feel. We complained and I found the staff defensive saying they change the mattress every 3 years and no one ever complains! I asked for a larger bed and they said they would have to charge an extra $20! (Hotel was not full- I asked! so they could have done it). Then they offered a renovated room (which begs the question why put a guest in an old room when you are not full??) which was much better, smelled normal and bed was definitely better. Continental breakfast was included, which was in my opinion below average, and we paid extra for a hot breakfast, but the home fries were probably frozen, not fresh or tasty, not great coffee either. Parking was an extra $16 a night!! Free wifi at least. Location was central to downtown, but there is nothing really to see downtown, and it is a 15-minute walk UPHILL to get to the old part of town, which is where you want to be. Upon checking out they did not ask how our stay was, and didn't seem to care. Overall not impressed with this 4-star hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. The feedback that you have shared with us about the problems that you experienced has been made available to management for their review so that improvements may be made.
Thank you so much for your business, we hope to see you again in the future!
Kind Regards,
Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2014

My wife and I went to Quebec a few days before New Years for vacation. The hotel was booked through another website, where I wouldn't know what it would be until I paid for it. I spent some time reading Tripadvisor recommendations and came prepared. The woman at the front desk wasn't terribly helpful upon check-in. Not a good vibe from the beginning. I asked for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor (newer rooms). She couldn't accommodate me, saying that I would have to pay more. I then (based on TA) asked to be facing the street and not near the elevator. Sure enough we were right off the elevator with a lovely alley view. In addition, my card wouldn't work. The front desk woman blamed me, saying I probably put it near my cell phone. (It was in my hand.) All that resolved, the room itself was fairly nice. It was clear and serviceable. The water ran VERY hot, burning my hands on more than one occasion. There was a fridge and free wifi, which was very convenient.

The location itself was decent. Plenty of restaurants around. There appeared to be a lot of drunk people walking around, as one of them yelled at my wife for no reason.

The hotel is roughly a 15 minute walk to the downtown. I read people were upset about a hill, but we didn't find it too bad (we are in shape in our lower 30's).

The most frustrating part of the hotel was the so-called free breakfast. Others have commented on it. As of December 2014 this is the situation: You get a voucher for their restaurant. You go in and the voucher basically gets you their lowest breakfast, worth $5. It consists of a few pieces of small fruit and some buttery bread/rolls/scones. It almost forces you to pay for more, which is ridiculous. My wife wanted other stuff and the extra we paid for wasn't that great. The service was slow as well (yes after 10 minutes of sitting after being done we want our check). We were so frustrated that we never ate breakfast in the hotel again, despite having it for "free". It's a joke.

All in all I am sure you can do better in Quebec. It wasn't the best, nor the worst experience of a hotel.

Room Tip: The alley view wasn't great Try to stay away from the elevator