“1ST VISIT TO QUEBEC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sepia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sepia to your Saves list
Hotel Sepia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3135, chemin Saint-Louis, Quebec City, Quebec G1W 1R9, Canada   |
Ranked #36 of 97 hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stratford, Canada
“1ST VISIT TO QUEBEC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We are here for 2 days. It was the best price of many hotels here in the city. The rooms are lovely, nicely decorated, clean, modern, with a nice bathroom. Arriving early, the staff was very helpful & friendly and got us in rooms right away. Free Shuttle to Old Quebec in the morning returning at 6pm. Restaurant on site, no free breakfast! I hear the traffic of the highway but it should quiet down overnight, I am not concerned about that. A warm outdoor pool is on site.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsepia, Senior Receptionist at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Bonjour,
Thank you very much for your great comments. I am really glad that the room and our staff met your expectations. I am also happy to learn that you took advantages of our services.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you again.

294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel has a very modern vibe to it, with amenities that are simple yet beautiful. I was very impressed with the interior of our room and of the building itself. All the fixtures were in perfect condition, the rooms were impeccably clean and the common areas were nice to look at without being ostentatious. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful and efficient. Check in was swift but attentive, and the front desk staff was bilingual.

I was delighted to see a Nespresso machine instead of the standard coffee machine, until I saw that they charged a surcharge for all coffee, tea and snacks laid out. Why do hotels do this? Even the diviest dives I've stayed in had free coffee. They boast a heated swimming pool, but it's not much to look at, and is tucked away at the back of the property overlooking a bridge, chewed up tarmac and an abandoned building. Nothing to get too excited about.

All in all, this was a pleasant stopover with a hint of luxury. It's easy to get to Quebec City's tourist areas and the front desk staff are knowledgable with what events are happening. But I found it tacky they charged for coffee and snacks that were in my room. As a customer, I would have been very impressed had those treats been free. I would have felt much more pampered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsepia, Senior Receptionist at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Bonjour,
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed the rooms and the hotel decor. I will also convey your great comments to my team.
I understand your disappointment in the charges for the beverages and the snacks. Instead of having vending machines, we offer our clients a selection of goodies that can be taken directly in the room. For the coffee, we effectively offer our clients a coffee of quality, which is Nespresso, but we also decided not to include in the room. So, if you choose to do not take anything, you will not be charged for.
I am also sorry that the pool did not meet your expectations. I will share those observations to the Management.
Again, thank you for your comments and I am hoping to welcome you again.
Ashland, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed there during a vacation to Quebec City. Checked out after one night.
There was no soap. There was a loosely-fitting door to the bathroom that afforded little privacy. The Hotel is located next to a noisy highway. There are vacant lots and abandoned buildings covered with Graffiti abutting the property. There was clean but overlooks a vacant lot. No hot tub. Tiny health club. Overpriced restaurant with little other nearby options. Yuc.

Room Tip: Briing a tent.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bonjour,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We really value your opinion.
I am really sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Vaughan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel is out of the way but it didn't even matter. It's a $3 busride into the city or they have a free shuttle. The rooms were spectacular and clean. And whoever the guy working the front desk was the best hotel employee ever and I never care about who's working because I just want my key and that's it. But every reccomendation from the front desk was spot on. And the breakfast was solid for $11.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsepia, Senior Receptionist at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you were fully satisfied about your room. I will also share your comments with the Reception team and to the Restaurant Le Galopin.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Visiting Quebec and didn't want to pay old town prices. This hotel, is convenient, on the outskirts of the city (15 mins drive - also regular shuttle into town). The rooms delight, very modern and beautiful attention to detail. You will pay for your tea and coffee but why not they offer very good quality. The pool is nice, looks over the two bridges over the St Laurence river. Very good value and the hotel restaurant offers excellent food and service.

Room Tip: I can only comment on our room but all rooms probably offer the same value as there are no great vie...
Bonjour,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for your great comments.
I am glad that you have enjoyed everything about your stay at our hotel.
Hoping to welcome you again,

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is not a highrise hotel, has only a few floors, maybe 3. Didn't notice an elevator either. The rooms though are clean, beds are comfy and bathroom is clean as well, but smallish. Oh it has windows that open. Check in service is friendly. Didnt notice much stores or food places around.

Nothing much to write about except this is one of the hotels that pass my scrutiny and yes I wouldn't mind staying in it again.

I put poor value only because it is more expensive than what I expected

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
hotelsepia, Senior Receptionist at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Bonjour,

Thank you for having taken the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you have enjoyed it.
Hoping to welcome you again,

Burlington, VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Booking this hotel was a bit of a last minute issue because we had tickets to the Festival D'ete De Quebec but no place to stay. Not knowing the city but knowing our budget this hotel was prefect.

Lets get the "bad" stuff out of the way.

The hotel is OUTSIDE Quebec City but NEAR mall shopping. The very helpful staff gave us instructions on how to use the bus to get into the city but it was just easier to get in the car and drive 15 minutes into town and find parking. We would have preferred something closer especially since we were going to concerts in the city.

When we arrived, they secured $50/night for possible hotel charges. In our case that meant locking up an additional $150 we had not counted on. This meant our fun weekend with extra money for dining turned into watching every penny we spent. In the end we spent no extra money in the room and all that cash was released back to us.

Finally, nothing in our room was provided as a gratuity. Not even coffee. This is one of those things as a US traveler that is just kinda expected. Any budget hotel at least provides coffee free of charge. On the other hand, all things in the room (coffee, chips, water, etc) were $2 which is way cheaper than in the US.

Now that good things!

If I could have stolen the bed, I would have! It was INCREDIBLY comfortable and I got amazing sleep. The AC was already cranked when we got in the room on a very muggy weekend which made arriving there that much better. They really went out of the way to make your arrival to the room one of pleasure.

The WIFI connection was FAST. I mean wicked fast! I mean I have 20M up and down fiber optic internet in my house and this hotel was FASTER than that. Highly highly impressed there.

The rooms have a very Ikea style which fits my tastes very well. The bathroom was huge and well stocked. Cleaning service was fast and efficient. The pool, while being outside next to the highway, was well run and very relaxing. The attached restaurant was a bit pricy but that is kinda expected.

The stay was VERY helpful especially with my broken French.

What would have made it better:
- A map of local shopping and eateries. It wasn't until the last day we realized we were less than a mile from 3 malls worth of food/shopping options. This should also highlight standard Canadian eateries like Tim Hortons and St. Hubert.
- No holds for room stay. Locking this money up really made things an issue. Also, provide me a way to exchange currency at the going rate through an ATM. Having to rely on the front desk's abailty to possibly exchange money at par was annoying.
- A shuttle into town that doesn't run only 3 times a day. The bus is nice but much is lost in translation explaining to a tourist how to use it. Also, some people generally don't like buses.

Bonjour,

For the security deposit took at the check in, it is more than common now in North American hotels. The fact is not many hotels aware the customers they take an extra amount for further fees.
Regarding the coffee in the rooms, we understand that it is easier when it is already included in the room rate. We chose to provide guests good Nespresso coffee and to do not charge people who will not drink some.
Despite this, I am glad that you enjoyed our comfortable room and bedding and our WIFI Internet.

Again, thank you for your recommendations, I Will take them to the manager.

Kassandra

Been to Hotel Sepia? Share your experiences!