“best hotel?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sepia

You added Hotel Sepia to your Saves list
Hotel Sepia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3135, chemin Saint-Louis, Quebec City, Quebec G1W 1R9, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vaughan, Canada
“best hotel?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel is out of the way but it didn't even matter. It's a $3 busride into the city or they have a free shuttle. The rooms were spectacular and clean. And whoever the guy working the front desk was the best hotel employee ever and I never care about who's working because I just want my key and that's it. But every reccomendation from the front desk was spot on. And the breakfast was solid for $11.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsepia, Senior Receptionist at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you were fully satisfied about your room. I will also share your comments with the Reception team and to the Restaurant Le Galopin.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel.

Kassandra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Visiting Quebec and didn't want to pay old town prices. This hotel, is convenient, on the outskirts of the city (15 mins drive - also regular shuttle into town). The rooms delight, very modern and beautiful attention to detail. You will pay for your tea and coffee but why not they offer very good quality. The pool is nice, looks over the two bridges over the St Laurence river. Very good value and the hotel restaurant offers excellent food and service.

Room Tip: I can only comment on our room but all rooms probably offer the same value as there are no great vie...
Bonjour,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for your great comments.
I am glad that you have enjoyed everything about your stay at our hotel.
Hoping to welcome you again,

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is not a highrise hotel, has only a few floors, maybe 3. Didn't notice an elevator either. The rooms though are clean, beds are comfy and bathroom is clean as well, but smallish. Oh it has windows that open. Check in service is friendly. Didnt notice much stores or food places around.

Nothing much to write about except this is one of the hotels that pass my scrutiny and yes I wouldn't mind staying in it again.

I put poor value only because it is more expensive than what I expected

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
hotelsepia, Senior Receptionist at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Bonjour,

Thank you for having taken the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you have enjoyed it.
Hoping to welcome you again,

Burlington, VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Booking this hotel was a bit of a last minute issue because we had tickets to the Festival D'ete De Quebec but no place to stay. Not knowing the city but knowing our budget this hotel was prefect.

Lets get the "bad" stuff out of the way.

The hotel is OUTSIDE Quebec City but NEAR mall shopping. The very helpful staff gave us instructions on how to use the bus to get into the city but it was just easier to get in the car and drive 15 minutes into town and find parking. We would have preferred something closer especially since we were going to concerts in the city.

When we arrived, they secured $50/night for possible hotel charges. In our case that meant locking up an additional $150 we had not counted on. This meant our fun weekend with extra money for dining turned into watching every penny we spent. In the end we spent no extra money in the room and all that cash was released back to us.

Finally, nothing in our room was provided as a gratuity. Not even coffee. This is one of those things as a US traveler that is just kinda expected. Any budget hotel at least provides coffee free of charge. On the other hand, all things in the room (coffee, chips, water, etc) were $2 which is way cheaper than in the US.

Now that good things!

If I could have stolen the bed, I would have! It was INCREDIBLY comfortable and I got amazing sleep. The AC was already cranked when we got in the room on a very muggy weekend which made arriving there that much better. They really went out of the way to make your arrival to the room one of pleasure.

The WIFI connection was FAST. I mean wicked fast! I mean I have 20M up and down fiber optic internet in my house and this hotel was FASTER than that. Highly highly impressed there.

The rooms have a very Ikea style which fits my tastes very well. The bathroom was huge and well stocked. Cleaning service was fast and efficient. The pool, while being outside next to the highway, was well run and very relaxing. The attached restaurant was a bit pricy but that is kinda expected.

The stay was VERY helpful especially with my broken French.

What would have made it better:
- A map of local shopping and eateries. It wasn't until the last day we realized we were less than a mile from 3 malls worth of food/shopping options. This should also highlight standard Canadian eateries like Tim Hortons and St. Hubert.
- No holds for room stay. Locking this money up really made things an issue. Also, provide me a way to exchange currency at the going rate through an ATM. Having to rely on the front desk's abailty to possibly exchange money at par was annoying.
- A shuttle into town that doesn't run only 3 times a day. The bus is nice but much is lost in translation explaining to a tourist how to use it. Also, some people generally don't like buses.

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We really value your opinion.

For the security deposit took at the check in, it is more than common now in North American hotels. The fact is not many hotels aware the customers they take an extra amount for further fees.
Regarding the coffee in the rooms, we understand that it is easier when it is already included in the room rate. We chose to provide guests good Nespresso coffee and to do not charge people who will not drink some.
Despite this, I am glad that you enjoyed our comfortable room and bedding and our WIFI Internet.

Again, thank you for your recommendations, I Will take them to the manager.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We found this hotel to be very clean, quiet, and affordable. Arriving in QC with our own car, we were concerned about parking issues and this location attracted us due to its accessibility and free shuttle into Old Town. Unfortunately, the shuttle times didn't work for us but we were happy to take the bus which had a stop right outside the hotel. Ask the hotel clerk for a discounted round-trip bus ticket if you do this. This gave us the opportunity to see some of the suburban architecture as well as the touristy spots. Breakfast buffet cost an extra $10 pp and had a reasonable but not exceptional mix of hot and cold offerings. Even though there were extra pillows, none were comfortable. I wish I had brought my own! The bathroom has a trendy, well-lit, clean design, but lacks a tub and has a very small sink shelf (use the drawer for toiletries).

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour,

Sincere thanks for reviewing our hotel and for your great comments. I agree with you that taking public transportation shows a lot more the city. I am sorry to hear that you did not sleep well because of the pillows. If we had known, we could have helped you with some other pillows that we have.

I am very happy that you still had a good stay.

Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay at this nicely appointed hotel! Close to where we wanted to be. Beautiful day in Quebec for the Summer Music Festival. The breakfast buffet was nice with good coffee and nice selection of food.

• Stayed July 2013
Bonjour,

Thank you for your great review. I am pleased that you have appreciated our hotel and breakfast.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Best regards,
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during our road trip through eastern Canada. The hotel is actually quite far away from old quebec.. 15 minutes on the highway to get there. The hotel however is close to the highways needed to get out of the city quickly - so good for a quick stop over - also very close to sillery district which is good.
The hotel is very small.. 2 storey building with very narrow hallways. the doors and walls to hallways are very thin so you can hear everyone walking down the hall.
The rooms are GREAT - they are contemporary, clean and upgraded. The view from our window looked out to the smoking area of restaurant staff.. outside the hotel it is very very noisy with highway traffic but doesn't seem to be an issue in the room with A/C going. Staff were nice.. they got the job done quickly during check in. There was a guest at check in that was there on a getaway for spa treatments - the Spa is 3 min away by car and not on site. There is a small restaurant on site but that is it.
I am not sure if we would stay there again.. i think I would pay extra to say in old quebec. If you are going to stay in this hotel.. I would recommend as a quick stop over - there are no amenities that willl make you want to spend time at the hotel outside off sleeping. The pool is off the parking lot and looks out onto the very noisy highways.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsepia, Senior Receptionist at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Bonjour,

Thank you for having taken the time to fully review our hotel and for sharing your experience. We are effectively just beside the bridges to get to Quebec and many highways. We are sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. If you ever want to come back, it will be a pleasure to suggest you a bigger and a room that will exceed your needs.

Best regards,

Kassandra

Been to Hotel Sepia? Share your experiences!