“Rude Treatment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sepia

You added Hotel Sepia to your Saves list
Hotel Sepia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3135, chemin Saint-Louis, Quebec City, Quebec G1W 1R9, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #35 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Rude Treatment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My family and I stayed here for two nights and checked out on August 22, 2012.

The hotel rooms are definitely clean. Small bathrooms with a sliding door is clean. My only complain is that the bathroom didn't have a space to put your toilettries or anything else. Beds are comfy and clean.

So I would say overall, it's a great place to stay.

Here are two things I didn't like.

1. I feel they "nickle and dime" you. There is no free water (most hotel welcome their guest with a free water at least). There is no free coffee in your room. There is a coffee machine and some packets of coffee and teas but each cost $2.00. There are water and perrier but it will cost you $2.00, including the chips and snacks. Instead of free pad and a pen so you can writing some important information, they have a flier selling you their down and pillows (yup, if you like the beddings, you can buy it from them?). We booked a king and two queens, our one king room did not come with a box of cleanex but the two queens does. Go figure.

So the standard hotel little extra from hotel that can make your stay a little easier is not available or at cost.

2. I picked this hotel partly because it has an outdoor swimming pool for my daughter who really wanted to swim. Unfortunately, we checked in late and the pool was already closed (8pm). So I promised her we can take her swimming in the morning. They told us the pool will be open at 10am. So we waited - when the time came, we were told they were still cleaning the pool. We didn't want to waste the whole day waiting for the pool. So I promised my daughter that we will come back to the hotel after we tour the city so she can go swim. We came back at 5pm, thinking we had enough time to swim. We put on our bathing suit and headed to the pool only to be rudely told that there is a private party at the pool and now off limit to hotel quests.

We went to the front desk who told us that there were already several complaints about it, the private party booking was done last week (her word) but even she didn't know until that day. She advised us to contact the Hotel Manager Nathalie Cote. We tried the next morning but the explanation we got was "it was a last minute booking and we didn't have time to warn our guests".

This explanation is clearly an attempt to cover a lousy management attitude. Booking a private party and declaring the pool off limits to your other guest is rude at best, not to mention failing to warn your guest. But the attitude that I got when I complained is like "oh well".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hotelsepia, Front desk Supervisor at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Hotel Sepia. We are very sorry about the inconvenient that happened during your stay. Our team take very seriously your comments and will do the follow ups necessary to correct our faults.

Once again, I personally thank you for the time you took for writing this review.

Mireille Bellefleur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We would not hesitate in recommending this charming little boutique hotel. The location is very easy to find and very close by to the Aquarium where our great-niece had her wedding on August 11. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the food at their resto Le Galopin absolutely delicious (breakfast and dinner). The bed comfortable, room very clean with nice modern decor. We had booked for 2 nights and like it so much, we stayed an additional night ! All in all a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelsepia, Front desk Supervisor at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Bonjour!

The perfect 5 out of 5 score you gave us is really appreciated. It is always a pleasure to read a great review like yours. It is also gratifying to know that our performance was effective and appreciated. I will surely pass on your comments to my team as well as the restaurant team.

We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again at our hotel.

Northampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Sepia one night before heading down to the Old City for three nights. The location was a 10 minute drive from the center of QC but turned out to be good--right off the highway and we were tired for a long drive. The room was large enough, design modern and cool, beds very comfortable. The front desk was super helpful--changed some money for us with no charge, gave us GREAT directions down to the old city and recommended an EXCELLEnt restaurant--Le Manoir--within walking distance. It was good because we checked in, regrouped, had a delicious pasta dinner, then got back in the car and took Boulevard Champlain right below the hotel that sweeps along the bottom of QC along the St. Lawrence River. Spectacular views and a great way to get into the city. We get the lay of the land immediately. The hotel restaurant had a delicious breakfast buffet--10.95 which was a good deal for the quality of the food. Most importantly, the staff is very helpful. Our son got sick while we were there and the woman at the desk called all around for me to find a store that was open at 10 pm on a saturday. She gave me excellent directions and asked about him the next day. If would be a little inconvenient to stay there and go into Vieux QUebec every day but it might be worth it--parking is free (versus $25/day downtown). Didn't try the heated outdoor pool

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hotelsepia, Front desk Supervisor at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Bonjour!

A sincere thank you for having taken the time to fully review our hotel and to share your comments. I am pleased that you have appreciated the quality of our services as well as our brand new décor. I will share your positive comments with my team, knowing that it will serve as an inspiration to continue their efforts.

Hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Of all my hotel stays this place had the best beds ever. I prefer a firm mattress and the hotel had really comfortable beds with memory foam pillows which I've never had before. Besides the comfortable beds, the rooms were very clean with nice modern decor. We booked 2 rooms with 2 queen beds and based on the reviews before I knew we were getting the smaller rooms but I was still surprised that it wasn't as small as some people said it would it be. The only thing I would have to say is the bathroom is pretty small. I don't mind the glass shower with the great rainfall shower head but the space is a bit tight. Another thing is the air conditioner can be a bit loud for some people so what I usually do is set it to super cold and leave it on while we're out and once we return for the night I just turn it off to go to sleep.
Location wise the hotel is only a short drive away from Old Quebec (10 minutes) so with the free parking this hotel actually is a better deal than staying closer to the tourist attractions and paying the premium. There are plenty of parking lots within the old city vicinity for a reasonable price of $12-$18 per day. Tip to search for parking lots/garages is to check out Vinci parking's website and type in "Quebec city" in the search field, it will show all the locations and parking rates. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

Bonjour!

Thank you very much for your great review and easy tips for other clients. It’s very generous of you. I will surely pass on your comments to my team, it is always gratifying to know that our performance was effective and appreciated.

You will always be Welcome to the Hotel Sépia

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We just completed a two-night stay at "Hotel Sepia." Call it an "inn", may be more appropriate. We booked a room with two queens beds. The guest room was small, especially the bathroom which was like a walk-in closet. The shower room was enclosed with a glass from floor to ceiling without a glass door. There was not enough space to install a glass door which might slam into the bathroom entrance door. We needed to put a floor towel at its entry, or the ceramic floor would be all wet. However, the floor towel was in the way to the bathroom door. There was no shelves or anything that you could put your clothes or things. There were only two small hooks on the door. Moreover, the toilet bowl was also small. In addition, the bath towels were ripped.

The mirror and sink were outside the bathroom and by the other side of the wall. Well, it would be good if one person was using the bathroom, then the other one could use the sink. However, it would be hard not to wake up other persons in sleep if you wanted to wake up first and use the water and sink.

The most TERRIBLE thing was the stinky SMELL in the guest room. We figured out that it came from the air conditioner. The filter was dusty, filthy, and smelly. We decided to turn off the air conditioner and leave the "only one" window open while we were in the room. Besides, the carpet in the hallway was dirty and smelly too. It was pity that the cleaning and maintainence were not kept up to match its trendy design.

The free shuttle bus leaves the "hotel" at 9:30 and 10:40 in the morning and returns at 6:00 pm. If you miss the schedule, you need to take a public bus. It costs $3.00 a person for one trip. There is no free shuttle bus on Monday. It will be better off to drive to the Old Quebec City as there are many parking lots along Blvd. Champlain. It costs about $10.00 per day on Sunday and $17.00 per day on weekdays. Alas, this piece of information was not in the hotel description while we were making reservation online.

Would I recommend this "hotel" to others? Nah!

Bonjour!

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I honestly feel very sorry that we haven’t met your expectations and that our rooms were not your style. We take your comments very seriously and we will make the follow ups that are necessary to correct our faults.

Best regards,
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Very modern rooms, with a very nice design.
Great breakfast.
Only drawback: a little bit out of the centre, so a bit far for tourism, but perfect for business.
We very much enjoyed our stay and will most certainly return when we are back in Quebec

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hotelsepia, Front desk Supervisor at Hotel Sepia, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Bonjour!

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Hotel Sepia. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay as well as the new décor of our rooms. We are proud to offer to our clientele an excellent value and a great experience.

We look forward to seeing you again

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I knew nothing of the hotel, and booked it for location and excellent rates. The beds were so comfortable and cozy that my husband and I did not want to get up. There are lots of cable stations and some for the kids too. This impressed me as most other hotels provide the minimum. Rooms are bright and welcoming and very quiet. Staff was great. I wish a more economical breakfast could be provided or a continental breakfast included. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road to Aquarium are best. Windows open so A/C not always necessary at night.