“Old Quebec City Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Manoir d'Auteuil

Save Saved
You added Le Manoir d'Auteuil to your Saves list
Le Manoir d'Auteuil
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49, rue d'Auteuil | Vieux-Québec, Quebec City, Quebec G1R4C2, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 97 hotels in Quebec City
Oneonta, New York
“Old Quebec City Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The entire hotel staff and owner contributed to a delightful 4 night stay in Old Quebec. They recommended great places to eat, entertainment venues, and historic sites, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The view of the Esplanade from the large and well appointed room 12 was lovely. The hotel is ideally located for walking within the beautiful old city. Our room rate included a tasty breakfast, efficiently served by friendly staff. On our next visit to Old Quebec we will certainly return to the hotel and room 12.

Room Tip: Room 12 overlooks the old city wall and the Esplanade. Each room on that side would have a terrific...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We truly appreciate that you took the time to write a review. Thank you for sharing your travel experience with travel community. You have really added some great tips for trip advisor readers.

Room 12 is one of our deluxe king rooms facing the park. All of the junior suites have park views, a few of the deluxe kings and a few of the classique queen rooms do as well. The difference, of course, is in the size of the room. For some a view room may be too noisy, so that is something to consider as well when reserving with us. It is always wise to contact us directly and let us know your preference. Although we cannot guarantee you will get the exact choice, we will do our best to get it for you should it become available.

Some clients prefer to explore Quebec City on their own, whereas some really like to get our input. I am thrilled that the staff was able to share some of our favorite spots with you. We are always willing to help plan your stay in Quebec City and to answer any questions.

Again, many thanks for the review. Being a small business, we truly depend on word of mouth, and your support is much appreciated. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the not too distant future. Un gros merci, et à la prochaine, Linda

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

A short walk to most of the best restaurants, bars and stores, the Le Manoir d'Auteuil's location is almost ideal. Though a bit pricey, this is a small, comfortable hotel with limited staff. Just off the reception area is a small bar, and Michele does double duty as receptionist and bartender. There is no elevator and no bellman to bring your bags to your room -- though Michele did offer after my girlfriend asked him about the bags. And while limited, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We passed on the continental breakfast, as it didn't look all that appetizing.

Our junior suite was spacious (2 levels), the bathroom area new, and the bed and bedding incredibly comfortable. In fact, it was one of the nicest beds I've ever slept in. It room was clean and nicely appointed.

Of the three hotels we've stayed in while visiting Quebec, this was my girlfriend's favorite by far. It was my 2nd favorite, but I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Bonjour, and thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that we were by far your girlfriend's favorite stay during your trip and that you would come back again.

We are a 3 star hotel, in part because we cannot offer the services like an elevator. We are limited due to historic preservation laws in the area which prevent us from adding an elevator. We are also a small hotel, so we do not have the resources to have a large number of people working at the reception like a large hotel does. It sounds like those kinds of services are important to you when you choose a hotel, However, everyone on our team truly takes pride in the hotel and sincerely wants to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We are also always available to help with luggage both up and down the stairs. Just let us know at reception.

You stayed in one of our contemporary junior suites, which is a fabulous room. The art deco railing up the stairway to the loft bathroom was hand forged by a local artisan from Portugal. He is nearing retirement, but we were very lucky he was willing to do the metal work for us in the renovation. I am glad you noticed the comfort of the mattress in your room as well. We do use very high quality mattresses and 300T count sheets that you find in the better 4 and 5 star hotels.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to write the review and for choosing to stay with us. I hope we will have the chance to serve both you and your girlfriend again in the future. Un gros merci, Linda
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My daughter and I stayed the night at this hotel and were totally in love with the place. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. They help recommend restaurants, coffee shops and sites to visit. Our room was rather oddly placed off the lounge but ultimately it was beautiful and very quiet. I would love to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: If arriving by train, take a taxi to the hotel as it is straight up hill from the station (only abou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bonjour, and thank you so much for writing a review. I remember you and your daughter very well, although I did not get a chance to speak with you. You stayed in one of our classic queen rooms, and yes your room was located off of the reception. I realize upon first glance, there is a worry that the room will be noisy, but in fact we did line the walls with lead and insulation, so the room is surprisingly quiet. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and the time spent with your daughter. Thank you for supporting us and for sharing your experience with the travel community. Being a small business, we truly depend on word of mouth, as we do not have the advertising budget that the big chain hotels do. Merci, et je vous souhaite une très belle journée. Linda
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My friends and I went up to Quebec City for the first time after white water rafting in Maine. We're all a little different so I was a little concerned not everyone would be happy with my hotel selection. They all enjoyed the hotel. The guys split the chapel room, which looks exactly like the picture. I stayed upstairs on the fourth floor in the European room and was happy there. My only issue was that thermostat in my room was controlled by the front desk so I had to call down and guess what temp I wanted. The other two rooms did not have this issue. The other two girls stayed in the other European room and still keep talking about how much they loved it.

The location was perfect for all. It doesn't matter what direction you head from the hotel, everything is close - restaurants, sightseeing, shopping, etc. We had no problems walking to the river but it is about 15 minutes. I can tell you (because I was tired after shopping one day) that it costs less than $7 with tip to take a cab down there or back up.

The service was great and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. The small bar area is great to have a drink while waiting for your friends to show up or to just enjoy a drink with friends before you go.

I tried the breakfast in the basement once but it was a little too warm in there for me and I was hoping for some protein for breakfast besides yogurt and a boiled egg. If you want something light like fruit, yogurt and croissant than you'll love this. I was told on my last day they're going to move it from the basement to the bar area soon so that will be a lot better. Lots of light and nicely decorated!

Room Tip: There were other guests that we met that had rooms that attached to the bar and had difficulty getti...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I am thrilled that you and everyone in your group enjoyed your stay with us. That is, after all, our goal. I did not have the chance to meet anyone from your party personally, but I am glad to hear that the staff responded to your needs. It sounds like the thermostat in your room needs to be reprogrammed. We can remotely control the thermostats in each room from the front desk, but the client is supposed to have control as well from their thermostat in their room. This is our first summer with this new system, so we too are learning the idiosyncrasies of each unit.

I am glad you tried the breakfast. We do serve a light breakfast, so if you want something more substantial, there are numerous restaurants close by. We serve fresh baked croissants, bread, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit salad (which we make daily) and hard boiled eggs. The coffee is even roasted for us down the street. We realize our light breakfast may not meet everyone's preference, so we do offer the option of a room only rate, or a room with breakfast rate. This was in response to a suggestion by one of our clients last year who did not want to eat breakfast with us each morning of her stay. I thought is was a great idea, and seems to be working out very well.

So, thank you for your input. We truly appreciate your support, and I hope you and your friends have the chance to come visit us again in Quebec City again someday. Un gros merci, Linda
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Lovely hotel situated right within the walls of the upper part of the Old City. Fairly centrally located to places outside the Old City, but also not too far from things within the old city (about a 15 minute walk to the lower part of the Old City by the water). Our room is spacious on the 4th floor. It's a walk up and lots of stairs, but keeps us in shape. The sink is outside of the bathroom and the window is small in the corner, but each room is differently organized and laid out. The owner is a former American and very friendly. The breakfast is simple, but adequate and includes delicious croissants, yogurt, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, granola, toast and coffee/tea/juice. Parking is around the corner in a small lot. We are enjoying our time in Quebec and at the hotel.

Room Tip: Each room is different; you may want to call the hotel ahead of time to discuss your specific prefer...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour, and thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to Quebec City. You did indeed have a european room on the 4th floor. These are smaller, with a dormer window and slanted ceilings, but full of charm. I was a little disappointed that you felt the cleanliness of the hotel only merited a 3, because I am a clean freak. We regularly pull the beds, dust the baseboards, not to mention the carpeting is new. I will definitely send François into your room to make sure it is up to our standards. Again thank you for choosing to stay with us, and thank you for your review.
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was the first time we've stayed here. This Hotel over delivered. My Wife and I were enjoying a vacation in Quebec,
The check in procedure is simply fabulous, and is an indication to the level of service that one can expect throughout the entire hotel. . No waiting at check in, waiting for porters etc etc. it was refreshing.
We were given a great room, which was very nice. Everything you would expect from one of a boutique fine hotel, nicely furnished, extremely comfortable beds and all the 'trimmings' you would expect. the washroom was( 5 star Quality) Marble, granite and chrome showcase, outstanding. Believe me, WE ARE PICKY!
What makes this Hotel so fantastic though is the service. Everyone we came into contact with was friendly, professional and very helpful. The location is also perfect for everything we were in Quebec City for - Old town, Music Festival and the amazing array of restaurants.
Our experience at breakfast was great, not fancy but the best croissant we've ever had. and great healthy other choices.
I like to Mention Lucia who made the reservation and every thing possible over the phone, and Linda( the Owner) who parted with a night light at the last second while we were in our car ready to leave because I showed interest in the washroom night light! Thank you
Finally, Michel, who made us stay another day because of his amazing service and continued enthusiasm, from booking the restaurants to suggesting venues and things to do, we can’t thank him enough. Outstanding service
Merci everyone at La Manoir d'Auteuil. Perfect experience

Room Tip: Room 12 was fair size facing the park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaFollette, Owner at Le Manoir d'Auteuil, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Bonjour and thank you for the review. We truly appreciate it. Room 12 is one of our deluxe king rooms that does face the park. I am glad it exceeded your expectations. I love the view out the front of the hotel facing Parliament Hill, but because we are in a city, the street side can be noisy for some. All the rooms in the hotel vary in size, with the classic queens and europeans being smaller in size. They all do share the same finish, with either marble or granite bathrooms, high quality mattresses and bedding.

I remember you very clearly, as you are the first to comment on our night lights. I am glad I had an extra to pass along your way, but for anyone else reading the review, I am out of them now, but I do have the company information should anyone want to order one.

I will pass along your kind words to everyone about the service. The acknowledgement will make their day. Some clients like to pass through without talking to us, and we most definitely try to stay tuned to this, as we are at times a gregarious lot. However, we are here at everyone's disposal, for any and all questions. Take care and we wish you happy travels ahead. Again, my sincerest appreciation for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for your support and for choosing to stay with us. Un gros merci, et à la prochaine, Linda
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

A charming hotel! All staff were friendly and considerate. We had a boutique style chic room with a very comfortable bed. The smell of coffee and croissants straight from the oven at breakfast was a treat for the senses. If I'm lucky enough to return to the enchanting city of Quebec I'll definitely stay at Le Manoir d'Auteuil again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonjour Monika, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Time is not something we have much of, so please know we truly appreciate it. I am glad you enjoyed our homemade croissants in the morning, as well as your room. I hope we are fortunate enough to meet you again should you come back to Quebec City! Un gros merci, Linda

Been to Le Manoir d'Auteuil? Share your experiences!