“Tryp Pur – it's good,...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR

Save Saved
You added TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR to your Saves list
TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   395 rue de la Couronne, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 7X4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #53 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Tryp Pur – it's good,...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

but it's not quite Carling.
You have to bear in mind what seems to be the Pur's stock-in-trade – business-types and the “It's Tuesday, it must be Quebec City” tours, in for a night or two.
They get blown away by the spectacular view from those rooms facing St.Joseph's (as we were!) and don't get to feel the weaknesses. We stayed for 5 nights and they began to tell.
When travelling on business, usually staying for a week or two, I found the singlemost irritating thing a hotel could get wrong was not having enough drawer space, the same goes for the Pur, the excuse for drawer space was laughable.
The interior décor was stylish but let down by poorly-made cheap mdf units (covering an old, wind-tunnel a/c unit), for example.
The lobby was all 'stylish' (but uncomfortable) grey slabs - clearly the interior designers, in their quest for minimalism/modernism, didn't quite get round to stylish chairs!!
This said, the view from 1410 was spectacular (especially late at night)– how we would have loved a nice comfy chair to sit in to really savour it; the bathroom excellent, with shed-loads of linen.
Overall the Pur is nice enough, but not somewhere you can settle into and chill.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vincent D, Directeur général at TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Bonjour bluebottle47

Thank you for writing your comments and observations of your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the spectacular view of the city from your bedroom window. Unfortunately it is regretful to read we were not able to meet your expectation with our minimalist decor and amenities. Your feedbacks are very important to us as it assists us to make necessary changes to ensure every guest stay is comfortable and memorable.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you again to the TRYP by Wyndham Québec hotel PUR.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights (Friday-Saturday) this October. When I arrived for the check-in, the employee at the front desk was very nice and polite. I liked the design of the room and even if I didn't ask for a room with a view, at sunset, night and sunrise it was stunning. I enjoyed the free coffee machine every morning. Check-out was quick and simple, which is always very convenient when you're on your way back home. The location is just perfect: for an hotel of this quality and so central, I would have expected to pay way more than I did. The only thing that bothered me was that my room was next to the elevators, so everytime it stopped on my floor it was kind of annoying, but other than that I have nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Vincent D, General Manager at TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Bonjour Manuel P,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments of your recent stay at the TRYP by Wyndham Québec hotel PUR and providing our trip advisor readers with such great information. It is a great pleasure to read you have enjoyed our location; it is unfortunate we were not able to meet your expectation elevator noise, all you comments are greatly appreciated and will be dealt with, with the upmost importance.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Quebec City.

Vincent Dufresne
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, had a room on the 14th floor with a panoramic view of the city. The hotel is in a great location, in the middle of the artsy, slightly gritty Saint-Roch district. I travelled by train, and I walked to and from the station--about 15 minutes, walking slowly. Lots of options for great coffee and wonderful pastries in the neighbourhood. I loved the jardin de St-Roch, a lovely landscaped park 5 minutes from the hotel. The whole neighbourhood has a pleasantly authentic feel to it; in other words, it's there to cater primarily to locals, not tourists. As for the hotel itself, everything was very efficient, the room nice and clean and large, floor-to-ceiling window with a comfy sofa to curl up in and look outside. My little gripes: The site where I booked the room said it had a mini-bar, which I was looking forward to, but in fact it just had a little unstocked refrigerator--not the same thing. There was no coffee maker in the room either--my biggest disappointment. Instead, there's a fancy espresso machine in the lobby that's available 24/7. But going down 14 floors to make a coffee isn't the same as having it in your room, and the lobby is soulless. In the end, I never had a coffee in the hotel, but instead went out to one of the great cafes nearby. And the room was a bit noisy--I could hear the conversations next door.

Room Tip: If you're in one of the upper floors, you'll have a great view of either the city or the mou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Vincent D, Directeur général at TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Bonjour John_Arthur_Sweet

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments of your recent stay at the TRYP by Wyndham Québec hotel PUR and providing our trip advisor readers with such great information. It is a great pleasure to read you have enjoyed our location; it is unfortunate we were not able to meet your expectation regarding the coffee machine in the lobby and the minimalist décor, all you comments are greatly appreciated and will be dealt with, with the upmost importance.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Quebec City.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I booked this hotel on Hotwire, and at that point I didn't know the name of the hotel but my deciding factor was the location, number of stars and of course price. I wanted a hotel that would be a walking distance from Old Quebec, and this hotel is just that.
When I booked the hotel and saw Tripadvisor's reviews, I felt that it was going to be a good hotel and that was confirmed when I got there.
Front desk personnel and hotel staff were quite helpful and friendly. The rooms have quite a modern, Scandinavian look and the service at the hotel is fairly good. The things to be aware of is that there's no parking outside the hotel, so you actually have to drive to the hotel's entrance and get the valet parking, which costs about $21 a day. There are no other parking options unless you decide to park on the street or at a parking elsewhere. The second thing is not to be too impressed by the fact that the hotel's loby has free coffee machines. Maybe it's OK coffee, but I just couldn't drink it.
Other than that the hotel is fairly good and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: I had read on Tripadvisor that the hotel is undergoing repairs/modernization so the higher rooms are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bonjour Lily 125

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and observations related to your recent stay at the TRYP by Wyndham Québec hotel PUR. It is a great pleasure to read you have enjoyed the décor and the location. We appreciate every comment your have provided and will be dealt with, with the upmost importance.

We look forward to your next visit in Quebec City.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I love TRYP Quebec! If you choose the room with view, you can have a room with the cathedral right in front of your window. The restaurant downstairs is awesome! Definitely try the lamb chops. They tastes really, really good!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Vincent D, General Manager at TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Bonjour Sunny S,

Thank you for your comments of the TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR. We are glad you appreciated your experience. Be assured we will let our Chef Francois Privé know that is menu was appreciated.
Thank you for staying with us and allowing us to take care of you and we look forward to being able to do it again for your next stay!

Best regards,
Vincent Dufresne
White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a nice hotel but it is very far from Old Quebec. Also the parking charges of @24 is a rip-off. We stayed here for the labor day weekend. The Hotel is trendy , clean and staff is friendly. But you have take a cab to go to old Quebec and on top of it pay $ 24 for parking. I think praking price should be reduced to $10.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vincent D, Directeur général at TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Bonjour Adityakedia,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and observations related to your recent stay, we are indeed regretful to read you had an unpleasant experience with the hotel facilities and services. Unfortunately the parking situations in downtown Québec city are limited and every parking space have a cost. The hotel offers an underground parking with 24h surveillance, easy access from the hotel elevators and unlimited in and out parking privilege for a fee of 21$ CAD + taxes/ 24h, which is in reasonable price range within the central city hotels.

If you have any questions or would like to further discuss your recent stay, please feel free to call our room division director Liane Lapointe at llapointe@wyndham.com

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Sincerely
Pleasanton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed in room 305 for 5 days for our one year anniversary. The room obviously not with the style of the hotel. Very outdated and disappointing when you first open the door. You'll ask yourself, "Is this the same hotel?" Furniture old, nicked up, carpet torn, decor old, CRT television in an old tv armoire, rusting towel rack, no closet door, etc, etc, etc. Hard to believe but compare my photos with those posted. The room completely opposite to what you see in the photos both on Priceline(website I made the reservations), TripAdvisor and it's own website. Disputed my room at front desk but was told only the carpet was outdated!! I tried to show them photos from my IPAD but they would not look!! __It is about 20-30min hilly walk to the innner wall of old Quebec City. Logistically, the distance could be a factor when you explore old Quebec City in the morning, comeback to rest, then walk back for dinner. It will certainly keep you from shopping when you have to carry it around then back to your room.***Bottom line, disappointed and fooled, dont let it happen to you.****

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vincent D, General Manager at TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We are very sorry that your experience on your recent visit at the our hotel has fallen short of your expectations. In case you were not aware, the internet room provider had reserved this specific type of room for you. Those rooms are also available on our own website has retro room.
We strive to offer consistent charming service and unmatched hospitality. We would like to discuss further your recent experience and would like to ask you to kindly email our Room division manager Miss Liane Lapointe at llapointe@wyndham.com. I look forward to your email.

Been to TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR? Share your experiences!