“R+R trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR

Save Saved
You added TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR to your Saves list
TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   395 rue de la Couronne, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 7X4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #54 of 103 Hotels in Quebec City
San Diego, California
“R+R trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Hotel Pur - simple luxury. Room was big with view of church. Location was great. Close enough to walk to Old Quebec but far enough that you aren't too close to the touristy spot. The espresso/cappucino machine was fantastic. Convenient use of business center. Pool is big (did not use). Quiet rooms. Great area with fine dining and away from touristy restaruants. The front staff was helpful in providing recommendations. Only downside was that the front desk was not responsive to telephone calls when friends were trying to reach me in my room. Had breakfast in hotel restaurant - good food + good service. Rooms +beds very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for church view. We had a nice view of church.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

It's been two times that I satyed there on my business trips and I very much prefer it to the hotels you find up the hill, in Old Quebec.

First of, I liked he fact that the concept of Hotel Pur is exactly it, "pure". The rooms for both of my stays were average in size, with a bed, a chair and a table. Nothing more, we do not not need an overcrowded room with furnitures. The bathroom was clean and very good sized. Though on my first visit, my room appeared to be "cleaned" in a hurry, I found some stuff left by the previous occupant, the second time around, everything was clean and perfect.

Second, I liked the oversized windows which allows the sunlight into the room in the morning and offer a great view of the street. You can also ask for the church view which will cost you $10 more but it's worth it.

Third, the neighborhood in which it is located is much more interesting than the Vieux Quebec, which is too touristy and pricey. You will find an interesting choice of bars and restaurants (Versa Restaurant is an excellent choice - the Boudoir is a good place to get a drink) that are not only good but less expensive than the ones you might find in Old Quebec. As a Quebec City former resident, I find it interesting that the neighborhood has boomed since the 80's and it is now so hip and bursting with cultural activities and institution. Back in the 80's it was a run down and very poor.

The staff was polite but not overly welcoming if you want my opinion. And finally, if you drive, there is a valet parking service since parking on the streets is not easy.

Room Tip: Ask for the church view for an extra $10, it's more quiet and you won't regret the view in t...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My family stayed at the Hotel PUR in Quebec City for a vacation. The hotel is striking, all done in black and white. The lobby is large and has plenty of seating as well as a cappachino machine and 3 computers with a shared printer. There is wifi in the entire hotel, but it is spotty in some of the rooms. There is a strong signal in the lobby and in the pool area.
The rooms are very nice and I would give them an excellent, except for a few things. First, the showers had no place to put soap, shampoo, or any other items. Put it on the floor or don't bring it in the shower. Same with towels. There are no towel racks in the bathrooms. These two simple things would make a big difference. The beds were comfortable and the linens were very nice. Top marks here. But there was very little space to store anything in the bedroom. No dresser or chest of drawers. Only a tiny closet with a ridiculously small three drawer chest in the dresser. I couldn't even put my socks in the drawer! So plan to live out of your suitcase. The lighting in the rooms is also very sparce. The bathroom didn't have any direct light over the mirror, so it was difficult to see well to apply makeup or brush your hair. These are all small things, but they did add up to inconvenience.
On the plus side, the staff was outstanding. They took care of everything perfectly, and even called me by name when I walked through the lobby. The pool, sauna, and workout room are first rate. The pool is 20 meters long; not perfect for lap swimming, but better than most hotels. Valet parking is quick, efficient, and always with a smile and greeting by name. The location is about 2 km from the Vieux Quebec "Old City" and it can be quite a hike up the hill if you are not in shape. There are lots of pubs and restaurants within a 2-3 block walk of the hotel. In the summer, Cirque du Soliel puts on a free show just 3-4 blocks from the hotel in the evenings. That was awesome.
I like the hotel and would stay there again. These are small things that could make it so much better.

Room Tip: If WiFi is important to you, get a room near the elevator. High rooms all have great views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Location easy for a younger person to get to old city and tourist attractions. Hills could be an issue if you were elderly or handicapped. We asked for a quiet floor and were lucky to be accomodated in that respect. Would have preferred a cathedral view but c'est la vie! Didn't use the pool or restaurant but both looked lovely. The bed was comfortable and the room clean and stylish. The shower was a bit hard to control in order to stop the water from getting all over the floor but once you figure that out it was good. Service was friendly and helpful. I asked for an iron and it was brought within 5 mins of my request. Valet was helpful and called us taxis numerous times and took care of our bags on our last day when checkout time was hours before our flight. All in all a comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I have read other's reviews about the "scary" homeless people around the city. I think that this has nothing to do with the hotel. the hotel is, in fact, in a GREAT location. Here is why:

1. church right out your window, great view
2. within walking distance of 5 different bus stops (all within 1-2 blocks) that can take you to the heart of Old City (its an uphill walk) or even as far as Montgomery falls for only $2.75 a ride (Metro).
3. Cafe right below the hotel that opens at 6:30 AM
4. within walking distance of GREAT restaurants - MO, Yuzu Sushi, The Tea house, etc etc. and Le Cercle
I could go on and on about why this hotel is great. I choose to not nit pick or dwell on things that dont really have to do with the hotel.
Yes, I saw kind of sketch looking people hanging out around the church or by the market a couple of blocks away, but that is not enough to negatively reflect on the hotel. You are getting a great room for a decent price that is way better than the inflated price of the hotels in the heart of Old City. There is a bakery very close, a bread store, a market, convenience stores, pharmacies, food all within 2 blocks of the hotel!! who could ask for more?

the staff was beyond friendly. The room was always clean, the pool was a lot of fun, and so was the sauna. the espresso machine is a nice plus, and the room service is great. Their new restaurant, Table, is also super chic and nice. Overall 100%. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

id also like to mention that I stayed on the 8th floor, facing the church. and i stayed the week of the summer festival. I heard BARELY any noise out on the street when I was turning in for bed, so i am not sure what people are referring to. there were nights (we stayed 5 nights) where it was dead silent. We also went out kind of late one night, stayed out till about 1am, and never felt unsafe. There were people walking around and hanging out but we were never approached in any weird way.

definitely stay here!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

It was easy to find and we made use of the valet parking.
The room was clean and very modern; we weren't sure about the bare concrete on show as the bathroom ceiling though! There was a full height window which was good although the view was nothing special really.
There was a mini bar in the room but no hot drinks although all kinds of coffee was available in the lobby free of charge; the one criticism being the small size of the cups!
The walk to the historical area for sightseeing was a little further than we had thought and the hotel was unable to provide a map other than the one on the leaflet advertising the city bus tours; this meant that we didn't find it when we first set out and went in completely the wrong direction; we did find it eventually though.
If we went back I think we would probably look for an alternative hotel although there was nothing wrong with this one really.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed here with a few of my girlfriends and what a great location. Not only did we get to try great restaurants near the hotel, but TABLE (Pur's restaurant) was excellent as well. Loved the octopus salad with chick peas and the duck mango ravioli. For breakfast, must try grapefruit brulee, waffles and quesadillas. They also have an awesome expresso machine that makes delicious espresso, cappuccino, coffee latte, tea latte...etc.
It's a plus when you get amazing service with good looking staff!! (both female and male)!
I loved how we were able to walk around to check out cute shops and some big market with tons of food and flowers (I forget what the market was called).
Bed was comfy too...got my much needed rest.
Thank you, PUR!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR? Share your experiences!