“remodelled hotel at a reasonal price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR

You added TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR to your Saves list
TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   395 rue de la Couronne, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 7X4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #53 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Moncton, Canada
“remodelled hotel at a reasonal price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This hotel is in the center of the city and close to bars, restaurants and chic little stores. We stayed for 3 days for a wedding on a weekend in May /11 along with a dozen other family members. This is an older hotel that has had some extensive renovations. It is very clean and has been changed to present an ultra modern appearence. The staff are all young, very friendly and helpful. However it required 2 phone calls over an eight hour period to get a light bulb in my room changed so I could read at night. The lobby is well lit and bright with free coffee and computer use. The bedroom, which was mid sized, had a kingsized bed with a small sofa and a desk counter but there was no room for a dresser to store our clothes . The closet, which has a safe, is very small so we kept things in our suitcases on the floor . Later we saw a shelve under the bathroom counter where we could have stored the suitcases. The bedroom was very bright and clean with a very large window that faced an office building approx 40 feet away. We could see right into the offices and they would have been able to see us also. Did not like that . One unusual aspect about this hotel is the walls, ceiling and carpet in the hall ways from the elevators are painted a dark charcoal color. Thought I was in a cave. Depressing. There is no parking lot but your car is parked by hotel staff in an underground lot for a fee of 18.00 per day plus taxes. This was a surprise so be prepared and remove all valuables. Very good breakfasts in their new restaurent but we ate our other meals elsewhere. The hotel was about a 20 minutes walk from old Quebec area which is beautiful . However the walk is mostly up hill so we took a taxi and walked back. Hope to go back to that city but I am not sure if I would stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that face the church
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I just spend 2 nights at the hotel and there is really good stuff about the hotel, but also really bad points...

The good ones:

- Very very clean !
- I was facing the church at the 17 th floor and the view is just awesome !
- The bed was comfy and really soft sheets.
- The deco is nice (We liked the dark grey in the bathroom).
- The nice coffee machine at the reception (I drink only decaf and I got the best Latte!).
- The valet parking is quick and the employees really friendly.
- The I Home for clock. We could listen at music in the room.
- 20 minutes walk to the Old Quebec city (But you need to be in good shape as you have to go up the huge hill.
- The pool and Sauna are good.

The bad ones:

- The heather / AC in the room is really noisy. We had good weather so we will able to shut it down during night as way too loud.
- The hotel is located in St-Rock, the worst area in Quebec City... Everytimes we were outside people were beggin for money. There is a lot of scary people. We had seen people smoking crack on the sidewalks...
- At night, even if we were at the 17th floor, we could here people screaming and partying all night in the street.
- Be carefull with the elevators ! If the doors are shutting down, do not try to hold the doors ! I got coffee all over and 1 time my boyfriend put his foot to hold the door, but the door didn t open ! There is 3 elevators, hold for the next one...
- It s really grey in the hallways. I like this kind of style, but it looked like a hospital basement, way too dark.
- There is no deco at all at the reception, look like a very too new hotel.
- No bar, no restaurant, no spa... Not a lot of services for a 4 stars.
- The lady at the reception was by herself on a Friday... Even if there was no one at the reception it took 15 minutes to checkin as she had to answer the phone all the time... And we couldn t make her smile... Also, it seems that no employee know the aera for restaurants, massages place... The supervisors should bring them for a walk around to show where the stuff is around the hotel.
- The is no booklet about the hotel in room ! This I don t get it ! You don t even know how to call an outside line, where the pool and gym are located, no idea what time was the checkout time... Nothing mentioning the hotel green stuff they do...
- I wouldn t recommand this hotel for more than 2 nights as the room is really small and the closet cannot hold a big luggage.

On the Saturday night at 1h30am, the fire alarm was on... Told my boyfriend to stay in the room but after 15 minutes he decided to go downstairs to see what s going on. When he reached floor 3, the alarm stopped, but the elevators didn t worked they couldnt restart it... He had to go up 14 floors... I asked what happen in the morning, apparently someone took a too long shower and the alarm went on...

I would recommand this hotel, but just be advised of the comments of people to not expect too much.

We are not kind of people that are complaining, so if this would be the cheapest / closest clean hotel near the Old Town, I would definitly go back there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Water Mill, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We spent 3 nights in this hotel and we have no complains.
The location is great; far from the crowds but close enough to the Old Town (15 min walk, depending on the route you take). The rooms aren't huge but big enough and clean. The only minus is that the bathrooms are dark., it's a struggle when you have to put make-up on.
If you decide on this hotel I would recommend trying a Vietnamese restaurant that is near by: La petite Boite Vietnamienne. We went there for dinner one night and it was REALLY good. Also, the best patisserie in town is a minute away: Boulangerie Pâtisserie Le Croquembouche. They have a variety of breads, sandwiches (do try the baguette ones!) and amazing pastries!
Overall great experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

The hotel is nicely located - St-Joseph Street is a nice place to walk, shop, grab a coffee and even find a few neat restaurants. For those who want to visit the tourist site, it's a long distance walk but about 5-10 minutes driving distance. Valet parking is provided - a bit slow but good staff. - a bit expensive, but efficient. Lobby is very spacious & clean with a great espresso machine and a neat business center...

The INDOOR swimming pool is absolutely awesome - big and clean. and the fitness center is also nice...

The room - the one we got (15th floor) is clean with average size - great view to downtown. Beds are comfortable, but we've seen better. They provide Aveda products for bathroom, but seems cheap about it... we have to ask for more every day. When we checked in, we had a few issue with the safe box and the TV and they were very fast and nice to fix all the issues. Bathroom decor is modern - but way too dark, we could use more lights...

Overall, we had a great price, but we didn't have the feeling to had a great deal - the value was just fair... We might go back, but our expectation are now different.

Here's a few comment where they could improve:

- they told us that they have a restaurant, but it's not open (YET) - a bit disappointed about that since the expectation were not set properly.
- stop being so cheap about Aveda products - if you want to be a trendy hotel with nice toiletry products just assume it.
- the feeling we got was that it is a no Frills hotel with basically no service added - and I'm not talking about butler services, but minimum stuff such as daily newspaper, and where we can call to have our car ready instead of waiting in the lobby.
- Smokers have the habit to smoke closed to the door and the smell is not too nice... they should ask patron to smoke further away or NOT AT ALL.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor with view to downtown
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Montréal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

This hotel is located downtown. In the new trendy quartier Saint-Roch.
I had a 15 min uphill walk to reach my business meeting, but i like walking...
Might be a deterent for lots of people thought.
But, it's really great for the night life (Nice restaurants, loundges and cofee spots in this neighborhood)

The rooms were quite nice and the bed was comfortable. The view is fantastic and the person at the counter upgraded my room because, I guess, one room in the upper levels was available.
This is always something positive. :)

The only negative side to my stay, was the heater in the room which is an independent system and it starts every hour or so, waking me up always every time. The noise is not very loud but will wake up anyone who has a light sleep.

All in all, it's nice place, you will remember it for it's design, but not so much for the good night rest you got there.
(My stay was during winter, so I dont know if it's the same thing during summer).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I enjoyed every minutes staying at Pur Hotel in Quebec City.
Rooms design and dark corridors are very trendy... and what about the view I had: Directly on the chuch on the other side of the street. Beautiful at night with snow flakes that dances in the wind! The pool is huge and the gym sufficiently equipped to do your daily training.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

PUR was my preferred stop for business while in Quebec City since it's opening. When it first opened it was great. I find it has slipped recently. Their room pricing is less competitive. Their parking price has gone up ($19 valet parking is the ONLY option in the neighborhood). The front desk staff is now younger and inexperienced and more intent on conversing between themselves than actually asking (and listening to the answers) guests how things went. Check-in and check-out was an impersonal affair.
During my last stay, the internet was not working, I called downstair, and was told they had to reboot, they would check and get back to me... they never called back.
Also, be careful, as this property now caters to "spring break" groups. That is a business decision (to fill rooms) that has an impact on regular clientele. When I was there, the lobby was transformed into a scene from "Animal House" meets "Ferris Bueler", with teenage kids drinking and screaming, and the elevators were filled with shrieking teenagers, all drunk. They were apparently "confined" to the lower floors, but they could be seen, and heard, throughout.
I was told upon check-in that "all hotels in Québec have the same 'problem'" during spring break and that "the hotel had hired extra security"... which was of no comfort to me. I was told by a snarky 22 year old, that I had been "upgraded" to a higher floor, and that I shouldn't hear them. A business decision to accept rowdy spring breakers is not a "problem" that is shared by all hotels. It is just that : a business decision. With implications.
There is a difference between a "lively lobby" and a bunch of spring-breakers.
The combination of the change in front desk staff, technical issues, the closing of the ground floor restaurant, and finally the decision of the property to go down-market with the Spring Break crowd, all have me looking for a new "favourite" when in Québec.
On the positive side, the team of car jockeys (working for third party Vinci parking) are very courteous and professional, and after my initial check-in, always addressed me by name, and were very helpful in getting cars (mine included) in and out rapidly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to TRYP Quebec Hotel PUR? Share your experiences!