“ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Grande-Allee Hotel and Suites

Save Saved
You added Le Grande-Allee Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Le Grande-Allee Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 Grande-Allee Est | (Near Lachevrotière), Quebec City, Quebec G1R 2K4, Canada (Downtown Quebec City)   |
Ranked #71 of 103 Hotels in Quebec City
Lawrence, Kansas
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

stayed for 2 nights. rooms look very nice, with high ceilings, nice bathroom. not very pricey. breakfast and wifi included. however, room kept smelling like backup toilet every time we would get back from outside, plumbing sucks, water pressure changes while showering, cant flush the toilet while showering or you'll get 3rd degree burns. room has what is the most pathetic excuse for a tv (15 inch made in albania probably). if you are gonna do a lot of site seeing, go for it as it is cheap and you will not be there a lot

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here over the holidays and enjoyed it. The price was about the best for being near the old city and it's well located. The rooms are small but clean and nicely appointed. Mine was at the back and quiet. The staff are also pleasant and helpful and basically bilingual, although you'll find that english becomes scarcer the farther you get from Montreal, but hey, it's a French province so it's a good opportunity to try out your language skills.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Magog
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is the third time to this hotel....and I have always recommanded it to friends...but now it is different....first of all ...our room was the deluxe two bed on Grande Allée...nice room but the neighbours were renovating....it started at 6;57 am and ended at 11.00 at night...we stayed 3 nights....the third night the renovations stopped at nine...because the clerk had called the cops...when we arrived the clerk told us we had breakfast coupons ....to me that means we had breakfast included just like the last times we had been there ..to my surprise....they charged us for all 6 breakfasts....if we had known we would have gone to different places for breakfast....the clerk told us that when they give coupons it means we have to pay....to me that doesn,t make any sense....too bad because this was a special trip for my sister and I ....she was here from Seattle to celebrate my retirement...and my birthday...oh....on the third day they offered to change our room ...but we definatly didn't feel like packing everyting and unpacking for one day...but we live to learn......so...make sure the renovations in the next building are terminated before going and make sure the breakfast is included....that way you won,t have very unpleasant surprises.....and they should change their TVs they date way back and are much too small......that is...... the one in our deluxe room....

Room Tip: Make sure it has a decent tv....and a quiet area.....and be sure to check your breakfast options...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Booked way ahead of me intended travel date and ended up with a room on the first floor facing the front of the building and beside the main lobby area. The room was fair, the bed comfortable but the window was at street level and opened onto the outdoor terrace bar. Fortunately the terrace was closed for the season but I couldn't image if it were open...it would be completely intolerable. As it was, between the street noise, the noise from bar across the street and the 3 am lobby traffic, it was disappointing to say the least. I was advised that no other rooms were available so I was stuck, but know better for next time. At one point, the toilet was not functioning properly and when I brought it to the attention of the front desk clerk, was promptly given a tutorial on how to flush. I admit that I may not always be the sharpest knife in the drawer but flushing a toilet is well within my skill set and the lesson was simply demeaning. Later, she admitted that there was a problem with the model of toilet that the hotel had chosen.

On a positive note, the location was good as it enabled access to many sites on foot and the hotel is surrounded by many good restaurants and bars but there are many other lodging options in this area that would likely offer a better experience when on vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've been to Quebec City before many moons ago, but was familiar with Grande Allee. I am here on business this time around, and just needed a hotel for the weekend, before joining my work colleagues again at another (bigger) hotel. So all I took with me was a backpack for 2 nights. I tried to book at 6 other hotels, but they were fully booked, and this hotel was available. I

I arrived Friday night at 11:30pm exhausted. I had reserved 2 nights a week prior for a very reasonable price. The woman at reception was friendly and she took care of me right away. She spoke some English but mostly French to me. I got a 3rd floor room at the back. I was glad for 2 things: There was a room facing the back because, walking up the street, the nearby bars were loud with music. And I just needed some rest. The other thing was that I just had a heavy backpack. There are no elevators, so anyone with regular luggage who don't have the physical ability or desire to lug luggage up stairs should be aware of this. This shouldn't be any different to a lot of the hotels in France if you've been. I read the reviews before and was aware of this.

The room was very comfortable for what I needed...just a place to sleep. I found the bed and linen VERY comfortable, but I like my beds firm. Don't expect pillow top sinking kind of bed. Personally I loved it. Very small TV, but I don't care. A wardrobe to hang your clothes, and a luggage rack to set your luggage on. A little fridge and a small desk. Yes, agree with the thin towels, but oh well, at least you got them, and they were clean and not tattered. Showers were fine, no trouble with the water. But the best part, and it was a pleasant surprise was the heated floors in the bathroom. I just braced myself for some cold floors under my feet with ceramic tile and what a pleasant surprise! I wasn't in the room too too much to read so I didn't care. Re: a comment by another poster about it being dark...it may not be the brightest room, but it's also not the darkest. Yes, it would have been nice if the window could give all your lighting...but it didn't. Wasn't a dealbreaker and it didn't change the way I felt about the room or my stay...all in all I liked it, because it was cozy (fireplace and brick wall) and comfortable. Very cute and quaint. There is attention to detail which I liked...nice little wine glasses in the room, along with water glasses, and an ice bucket (I don't normally see wine glasses), convenient shower gel dispenser in the tub area, the provided toiletries (btw, they're minimal) are really good quality, coffee maker in the room, the architectural details to the room- high baseboards, hardwood floors, brick wall and bathroom heated floors- renovations were well done, and not shoddy at all.

I didn't take the breakfast here. I would highly recommend Cosmos Cafe for a very nice brunch and nice ambiance...light, energetic and fabulous brunch options.

Location is great if you like the nightlife...I didn't come here for that, but there seem to be some good dining options and nighlife options for the young at heart. A 5 minute walk to the Old Quebec City walls...10 minutes to Chateau Frontenac.

I would highly recommend for a very comfortable stay here...Not 5 star if you're looking for that or has an elevator. But this hotel would be for those who want simplicity, good quality, comfort and no hassle. My dealings with the front desk were pleasant (in speaking to them 3 occasions) so the service was very good...And one's experience with service is half your experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
FBergeron-Ouellet, General Manager at Le Grande-Allee Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you so much for such a great review of our hotel and your stay! We're pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel has met your expectations. We hope you had a wonderful weekend with us. Since our hotel has kept his old charm, we do not have an elevator, but we can help people who need to carry their bag upstairs. Grande Allée is a great street, with many restaurants and bars, it is a good spot for the ones wanting to visit the city by foot like you specified. We would be really happy to welcome you again on another visit to Quebec city. Thank you again for your comment!
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We came here for our honeymoon. The room was really comfortable&spacious. We booked the signature plus room. We figured we'd splurge since it was our honeymoon. Though we felt for $224 a night we should have received a bit more. The bedding was very luxurious and the air tub was nice but our room faced a bar that kept us up until 3am. The music was very loud & distracted us from having a romantic evening. We asked about any specials for our honeymoon and they had a bottle of apple cider & 2 chocolates for us in the room. It was a nice touch but the card was generic and it seemed less meaningful without a signature from anyone. The location was convienent and close to many restaurants & bars though be careful if you're a night owl these places can close early.
The continental breakfast was certainly disappointing. Our first morning we arrived at 9:35 ( breakfast is served from 7-10) & there wasn't much left and whatever was left was not very hot. We figured we got there late so the next morning we arrived earlier & it was worse. There was even less food. Not much of a selection& they didn't replenish the food often enough.
Overall we liked the hotel but for the $224 a night it should have been better.

• Stayed September 2012
Scituate, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Nicely located on the Grand Allee among the restaurants. Eat in this neighborhood, not within the walls or in the old city. Rooms (we had two) were spacious and charming. Bathroom tub in room 3019 is soo small it is a joke. So much for charming old world hotels as you have to sacrifice some comfort for charm. Front desk folks were very charming and their English was much more passable than my French. Parking a bit of a nuisance, but what can you expect in an old world city. Biggest disappointment was the towels. They were thin and tattered as you might expect in a Motel 6.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back. Our two rooms faced the Grand Allee and the night time noise was a little b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking some of your time to review our hotel. We do have a great location near all the main attractions and events of the city, Grande Allée is a great place to stay. We're sorry to see that you were disappointed by our towels, we would have been happy to hear your comments during your stay and be able to make it up to you. We'll make sure that our next guests don't have any similar issue! We're glad to see that our service at the front desk was up to your expectations and we would be happy to welcome you again on your next visit.

Been to Le Grande-Allee Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!