“Worth a visit, but not a sleepover” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Glace

Save Saved
You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #21 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
chicago
“Worth a visit, but not a sleepover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me a romantic trip to Quebec City for Valentine's Day last year. The highlight of our journey would be staying at the Hotel de Glace for an evening which we both were very excited about. The pictures we took are stunning and the experience is worth seeing it with my own eyes.

Pros: the architecture is quite impressive. The beverages served in ice cube glasses is a nice touch. The music playing in the disco area. Fireplaces lit in a variety of rooms. The hot tubs to use if you're staying the night. The ability to have the hotel to yourself once the tourists leave. Once you do settle into your sleeping bag for sleep, you WILL indeed sleep well. But be sure to use the toilet before bed as getting up in the middle of the night in very cold temperature is not ideal.

Cons: Way too expensive for what you get. We got there around 3:00 and literally toured the hotel in an hour and found ourselves bored stiff as to what to do until we could get into our room around 9:00. Luckily there are great restaurants so we had a lovely dinner out. They encourage you to stay up as late as possible because you literally are in your room to only sleep (a very good sleep I must add). We used the hot tubs for an hour and then sat in the very small living room area with a few other couples until we decided to go to bed around midnight. The living room area is so small though that not every patron has a spot to sit and relax. It was very uninviting to be honest.

In the morning when they woke us up, they treated us to a breakfast in the main hall. We were shocked by what was served...corn flakes, boxed pancakes, boxed sausages. For the price we paid to stay overnight it wouldn't have been any trouble at all for the hotel to pre-order their customer's breakfasts and have an appropriate meal delivered for the next morning. Ex: Starbucks would've sufficed. Our final memory of this place was the terrible breakfast they served us. It would've made a world of difference if they would've thought of something nice to send their customers off with prior to their leaving.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay, definitely get the room with a fireplace. It's for ambiance only, not hea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is such a beautiful, fun place for a one-time visit. You're probably crazy to return, but it will give you bragging rights forever. They re-build it every year. Temp stays at 22F 24/7. They serve you drinks in ice cubes (as your cup) in the Ice Bar. Everything is ice & frozen. You sleep in a mummy sleeping bag, that they give you to put on your ice bed. Not great sleep since it's hard to turn or move in the mummy bag, but for 1 night, it's a ton of fun. I loved it and want you to experience something very different....then visit Quebec City & Montreal before you go home. It melts by April so you must go before. I went in March of 2011 but that date wasn't in the window that I could select. Go , have fun!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Garfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We bought a groupon for a nights stay on a whim and what an experience it was!! First and foremost we were not cold and it was one our best sleeps! Maybe the wine? Maybe the hotubs?? But we were defintely warm and toasty all night.

The rooms and hotel were amazing and the staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a standard room and do not regret upgrading because you only go to the room minutes before you are ready to sleep.

The only splurge I could agree with is the room with your own private hotub but only one of those are available. But sharing a hot tub in the snow with strangers does make for some interesting conversations!!!

Bring extra hats and socks :) And bring your spirt of adventure

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I spent a night in Hotel De Glace in febuary 2013. It was awsome. With 3 bars,44 rooms a spa, sauna and a giant ice slide. Perfect for both adult and children to have loads of fun.
Activities like skiing, dog sledging, snow boarding all available to book at the hotel.
Although many may think this would be a cold night i was very snug in the sleeping bag provided and woke up feeling toastie. The rooms are basic but very comfortable.
A word of warning,be careful booking activities as i was charged twice but im sure this dosnt happen often.
There is a restaurant with live music and good food just up the road and a cafe on site but choice is very limited.
The spa is great it really didnt matter how cold it was out doors.
Make sure you try the maple syrup if you have a sweet tooth you will go back for more!!!
A tour is included in the price and is very informative.
This place is well worth a visit and a stay but wrap up warm until bedtime.

Room Tip: None carved rooms are cheaper and just as comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

One has to be realistic when planning to sleep in a -5c room of ice. I will start with the good parts; the tour and the staff were fantastic. The ice bar was very, very fun. And I probably would have been happy to stop my visit right there. The instructions for using the sleeping bag and what to do with all of your personal things/attire is great, but it makes you terrified of coming into contact with any moisture. So I was afraid to breathe in my sleeping bag and the moisture from my breath kept freezing on my exposed face. Needless to say I didn't sleep a wink. LUCKILY - my husband thought to book a back up room at the Four Points Sheraton that is about a kilometer down the road. I got up at 3AM and went there. A real bed never felt so great. If you are claustrophobic, this experience probably isn't for you either. The sleeping bag was great - my body wasn't cold, just my face. So if you have the proper winter attire (poly base layer etc) you may enjoy it. My husband did.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I loooved it here! Was very pricey, but super convenient to Quebec City. I really appreciate the innovation, neat artwork and creative engineering. It is costly to do just a tour ($17) so we got the pkg with lunch, which was very mediocre but good-sized. I feel so lucky we made it right before it closed on April 1. Do the ice slide!

• Stayed March 2013
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Before you book this experience, you need to know a few things :
1- there is no door in your room, it simply is a curtain.
2- the check-in is not before 9pm
3- the check-out is at 9am and they wake you up at 8:30am (so if you plan on sleeping in, forget it)
3- the included breakfast is terrible, so don't count on it, plan at take your breakfast in Quebec city
4- the staff is very rude
5- for the price, I would suggest you go to any other hotel in Quebec city and simply go VISIT the "Hotel de Glace"

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel de Glace? Share your experiences!