“Well...I tried.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Glace

You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #30 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Michigan
“Well...I tried.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

One has to be realistic when planning to sleep in a -5c room of ice. I will start with the good parts; the tour and the staff were fantastic. The ice bar was very, very fun. And I probably would have been happy to stop my visit right there. The instructions for using the sleeping bag and what to do with all of your personal things/attire is great, but it makes you terrified of coming into contact with any moisture. So I was afraid to breathe in my sleeping bag and the moisture from my breath kept freezing on my exposed face. Needless to say I didn't sleep a wink. LUCKILY - my husband thought to book a back up room at the Four Points Sheraton that is about a kilometer down the road. I got up at 3AM and went there. A real bed never felt so great. If you are claustrophobic, this experience probably isn't for you either. The sleeping bag was great - my body wasn't cold, just my face. So if you have the proper winter attire (poly base layer etc) you may enjoy it. My husband did.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I loooved it here! Was very pricey, but super convenient to Quebec City. I really appreciate the innovation, neat artwork and creative engineering. It is costly to do just a tour ($17) so we got the pkg with lunch, which was very mediocre but good-sized. I feel so lucky we made it right before it closed on April 1. Do the ice slide!

• Stayed March 2013
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Before you book this experience, you need to know a few things :
1- there is no door in your room, it simply is a curtain.
2- the check-in is not before 9pm
3- the check-out is at 9am and they wake you up at 8:30am (so if you plan on sleeping in, forget it)
3- the included breakfast is terrible, so don't count on it, plan at take your breakfast in Quebec city
4- the staff is very rude
5- for the price, I would suggest you go to any other hotel in Quebec city and simply go VISIT the "Hotel de Glace"

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was a gift our kids gave us last christmas. It is a nice place to visit and try once in your life to see how difficult it is to live in the cold. A lot of effort is put in the interior ice design. Staff was great preparing us for the night, went at the spa to warm up before going to bed. Upgrade rooms are not necessary since you only have access to your room from 9:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m., so by the time you prepare for the night, you basically go in your sleeping bag and sleep. All rooms can be visited anyway during the tour. Drawback, it is located in Charlesbourg, basically a suburb of Quebec city. I would have rather liked it to be located in the woods, far from the city, to really live the outdoor experience. Entering the parking lot, you see a 8 story apartment building (!). I think the original location at Montmorency falls was much better. In general happy to have done it, but I am sure a lot of international visitors would find it a bit of a tourist trap...coming so far to live in an ice Hotel inthe suburbs.

Room Tip: Try to have a room close to the main building where cleaner bathrooms are located. If you need to ge...
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

So we decided to spend a night in the ice hotel while visiting Quebec City and we were not disappointed. The hotel itself is a piece of art, a wonderfully beautiful building carved in snow and ice with a big bar area, a dance floor, a chapel, an ice slide for the kids and 44 rooms. The temperature in there is a constant 5 below zero celcius. There is a building next to the hotel for guests to have a shower or just warm ip a little with free internet, free coffee/tea, lockers, towels and robes... We had a compulsory briefing where they go through your concerns if any and how to get a god night sleep... We had a few drinks at the bar (drinks are served in glasses made of ice and aren't too expensive) and then tried the activity of the night which was ice carving. Was a lot of fun. We then went to the spa area. They have 4 spas outside under the stars and 1 sauna as well. The aim here is to warm your body up before you go to bed. It was wonderful and the spa temperature was perfect. after drying off in the heated area, we went to our room and got into our sleeping bag for a good night sleep. we slept in our jocks and t-shirt weren't cold at all ; the sleeping bags are great.

The breakfast was fairly basic but it didn't really matter, the experience was awesome and i highly recommend it to anyone... well worth the price in my opinion

Room Tip: Any room that suit your budget is fine
Hopkinton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have to admit I was pretty nervous about staying here but I am glad that I did. I was a great experience and certainly gives you some bragging rights. Just a heads up.. you have to keep your belongings in a locker. I wish I had known this ahead of time as I would have packed differently. It was awkward to pull your suitcase out, dig through to get what you need, carry it to a changing room and shove everything back into the locker, especially when you are sharing with your hubby. Also, bring a bag for your wet bathing suit. I assumed, which was foolish, that they might have some kind of spinning machine to dry bathing suits or bags to store them. Also, there isn't really any restaurants in the area, we ended up going back to QB city, which was fine, but again with the lockers... The orientation was very helpful and I was warm most of the night. I did get cold in the morning but it wasn't terrible. I would recommend it. I wished it would have been a clear night as I would have loved to have seen the stars over the hotel but cloudy isn't really a complaint.

ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

OK first the good - the building is very interesting and totally worth visiting! Some good activities for a visit.

The bad - Do NOT stay over night! The pictures show a bed with a nice duvet - looks very romantic. Nope they give you two mummy sleeping bags that you can barely move. So forget romance. The sleeping bag was so warm I couldn't sleep. Why couldn't they give you the option of zipping two square sleeping bags together. At least you could snuggle.

I appreciate the logistical issues of having to put change rooms and bathrooms in a separate building but its totally high school gym experience - awful. You get half a locker to put your things in. The bathroom and showers are in different places - so you spend a lot of time wait for people so you can get to your locker etc..

Then they tell you to get out of your room by 8:30am because they open it up for tours. So we shuffle off to a very BAD breakfast. Do not stay there!!

Quebec City is amazing - stay down town with fabulous hotels and food. You can visit the ice hotel for a hour. Staying overnight is like camping at a high school gym.

Finally the ice bar - over priced drinks and bad music. Most people did not hang around.

Room Tip: The themed rooms are very well done.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel de Glace? Share your experiences!