“An amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Glace

Save Saved
You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #21 of 102 hotels in Quebec City
Adelaide
“An amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

So we decided to spend a night in the ice hotel while visiting Quebec City and we were not disappointed. The hotel itself is a piece of art, a wonderfully beautiful building carved in snow and ice with a big bar area, a dance floor, a chapel, an ice slide for the kids and 44 rooms. The temperature in there is a constant 5 below zero celcius. There is a building next to the hotel for guests to have a shower or just warm ip a little with free internet, free coffee/tea, lockers, towels and robes... We had a compulsory briefing where they go through your concerns if any and how to get a god night sleep... We had a few drinks at the bar (drinks are served in glasses made of ice and aren't too expensive) and then tried the activity of the night which was ice carving. Was a lot of fun. We then went to the spa area. They have 4 spas outside under the stars and 1 sauna as well. The aim here is to warm your body up before you go to bed. It was wonderful and the spa temperature was perfect. after drying off in the heated area, we went to our room and got into our sleeping bag for a good night sleep. we slept in our jocks and t-shirt weren't cold at all ; the sleeping bags are great.

The breakfast was fairly basic but it didn't really matter, the experience was awesome and i highly recommend it to anyone... well worth the price in my opinion

Room Tip: Any room that suit your budget is fine

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Hopkinton, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have to admit I was pretty nervous about staying here but I am glad that I did. I was a great experience and certainly gives you some bragging rights. Just a heads up.. you have to keep your belongings in a locker. I wish I had known this ahead of time as I would have packed differently. It was awkward to pull your suitcase out, dig through to get what you need, carry it to a changing room and shove everything back into the locker, especially when you are sharing with your hubby. Also, bring a bag for your wet bathing suit. I assumed, which was foolish, that they might have some kind of spinning machine to dry bathing suits or bags to store them. Also, there isn't really any restaurants in the area, we ended up going back to QB city, which was fine, but again with the lockers... The orientation was very helpful and I was warm most of the night. I did get cold in the morning but it wasn't terrible. I would recommend it. I wished it would have been a clear night as I would have loved to have seen the stars over the hotel but cloudy isn't really a complaint.

ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

OK first the good - the building is very interesting and totally worth visiting! Some good activities for a visit.

The bad - Do NOT stay over night! The pictures show a bed with a nice duvet - looks very romantic. Nope they give you two mummy sleeping bags that you can barely move. So forget romance. The sleeping bag was so warm I couldn't sleep. Why couldn't they give you the option of zipping two square sleeping bags together. At least you could snuggle.

I appreciate the logistical issues of having to put change rooms and bathrooms in a separate building but its totally high school gym experience - awful. You get half a locker to put your things in. The bathroom and showers are in different places - so you spend a lot of time wait for people so you can get to your locker etc..

Then they tell you to get out of your room by 8:30am because they open it up for tours. So we shuffle off to a very BAD breakfast. Do not stay there!!

Quebec City is amazing - stay down town with fabulous hotels and food. You can visit the ice hotel for a hour. Staying overnight is like camping at a high school gym.

Finally the ice bar - over priced drinks and bad music. Most people did not hang around.

Room Tip: The themed rooms are very well done.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a great trip. Went in February and stayed Monday night into Tuesday. It was almost all booked the night we were there, as I imagine it is most of the time. Would I do it again? Sure, especially that I picked up these tips:
1) at night it's cold, but it's still comfortable to sleep. You won't freeze to death and if anything, you'll be too hot. That was my problem. I followed their directions which were to soak in the hot tubs for 20 mins, dry off/bake in the sauna, then dress in a thin layer of NON-cotton material underarmour top and leggings) and get into your special sleeping bag that is designed to maintain the temperature of whatever goes in it. I did all this, but I ended up getting really hot at night. Instead of feeling good all bundled up in the sleeping bag in the fetal position, I had the tendency to want to stretch out and sprawl all over the place because I was hot- which I could not do in the sleeping bag. I didn't get much sleep and had a couple panic attacks from it. Only after I let enough of the "hot" air out of the bag by opening it for a brief period of time, was I able to fall asleep.
2) At night, water crystals from the vapor coming out of your mouth/nose have the tendency to lay on your cheeks. You don't realize at first, but then when you go to get a shower and put on your face moisturizer like I did, it stings like a mo-fo. So, I would suggest putting vaseline or something on your cheeks if they will be exposed to help with this.
3) The grounds are beautiful, but there was this little candy shop that was open when we first got there, but it then closed at some ridiculously early time (like 5pm) or something like that, and didn't re-open till the following afternoon, so we missed out on getting anything from it because we had to be on our way. So if you get there and see it open, go to it.
4) Gloves, Thick Socks,- I can't say enough how important this is. You will get cold. And if you want to go down the ice slide, you need insulated ski/snow pants. You won't really slide in jeans.
5) Timing- the whole place is open to the public from 9am to 9pm. So if you are going out and about in Quebec, do it during that time so you can enjoy the ice hotel when it's just you and the other guests. It's so much better. No school groups running around, etc. If you want to see each and every room, however, you need to be there during the "public" times-otherwise the room's guests could be in it.
6) Don't expect much from the lodge. Yes they have hot drinks free 24 hours, but there is VERY limited seating. I'm talking 3 couches and 2 side seats for the 80 some people who are staying over. So if your backup plan is to sleep there if things go bad, don't expect much.

I don't know when check-in time is officially, but we rolled into town around 2pm and were able to get our keys/storage locker. Only carry what you need on you, and the rest gets kept in the lodge storage locker. That part is open just to the guests. The ice hotel and all the rooms are a sight to see. People don't realize it's literally just a block of ice where you and your sleeping bag will spend the night. The bathrooms and showers and everything else are in the lodge. There are a few port-o-potties in the immediate vicinity of the ice hotel, but the nicer accomodations are a short (depending on where you stay) walk. The cafe they have in the lodge has good food for what it is, and there is free wi-fi.
You have to go into this knowing what to expect. Think of camping in the cold.

Room Tip: You don't need to pay extra to sleep in a special suite. Get the basic room and view ALL the roo...
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

After years of dreaming, my husband and I finally stayed at Hotel du Glace in February 2013. It was an incredible experience! We arrived in the early evening at the hotel, proceeded through the entrance pavilion and down a long ramp to the Celsius Pavilion where we were checked in and assigned our room. While you select and pay for your room category (room, suite, fireplace suite, honeymoon suite) prior to arriving, you are not assigned your specific room until you arrive (and you have no say in the theme if you have paid for a theme room). We had a theme suite and were very happy with our room, both in terms of theme and location. We were lucky to have suite #10 which was very close to the Arctic Spa and Celsius Pavilion. it was themed like an avalanche - which was odd and a little scary but also very unique! Plain rooms are merely plain boxes with a square ice bed and a white light. Theme rooms are carved with different themes in mind - avalanche, bees, hockey, tropics, etc. and are light artistically, but most are simple square rooms with beautiful design. Our avalanche suite required us to enter through a snowy, curvy cavern into a dimly lit blue clearing with a romantic little table and benches tucked in a nook, and a bed ensconced in snow "boulders." The bed was covered in fur and decorative pillows, and we slept in the provided thermal mummy sleeping bags - we had a GREAT sleep! We spoke with many other couples who didn't have a completely wonderful experience overnight for one reason or another, maybe they were too nervous or didn't follow the safety precautions. We followed the instructions for what to wear upon arrival at the hotel precisely, and then used the Arctic Spa before bed, dried off, and wore only a thin layer of moisture wicking thermal underwear to bed, and were quite comfortable and warm.

After arrival and check in, we were given a locker to store our gear, we put on our recommended gear, attended orientation, then toured the hotel - it was amazing! The attention to detail and artistry was truly impeccable. After getting our bearings, we went to the ice bar for some cocktails. 2 welcome drinks were included in our package, and we could choose anything we liked off the menu. We sampled a watermelon flavoured shot in an ice glass, and a spruce favoured shot in an ice glass (too weird to pass up) - both were great! If you keep your ice glass, you save $2 on refills, so for our second round, we used the same glasses and tried a blue lemonade flavored shot and a maple cream shot. After that, we'd had enough (the shots are pretty much pure alcohol so even though they're tasty we didn't want to overdo it). You can also order beer, warm wine, and hot chocolate at the ice bar (in non ice glasses).

Instead of dancing at the ice bar, we rode the North Face Slide a few times, grabbed a coffee at the Celsius Pavilion (there is unlimited free coffee, tea, and cocoa) and headed out to sit in front of the beautiful bon fires outside the hotel. It was cozy and romantic. After that, we went snowshoeing (included for free for overnight guests). There is a lovely private snowshoeing trail behind the hotel - it took about 40 mins to complete. We did the trail at about midnight and had the whole place to ourselves - a lovely and peaceful experience. Then we headed to the Arctic Spa to relax in the hot tubs (there are saunas too) before bed.

The next morning we showered and had breakfast at the Le Express Cafe (included, but if it wasn't I would have gone elsewhere, it was very subpar - kind of like breakfast at an airport). We packed up, stopped at the gift shop, and headed home!

The service and staff at hotel du glace were outstanding. However, the locker/changeroom/washroom area was a completely disorganized mess. It was clean, but everything was so close together than at peak times like before bed and in the morning, it was really awkward and uncomfortable to move around - everyone is on top of each other. For the price we paid I would have hoped for more space and organization instead of a free-for-all. For someone prone to clausterphobia or anxiety attacks I can imagine this situation to be quite stressful.

Overall, this was a great once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Room Tip: Go big or go home - get a theme suite!
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This has been on our (my boyfriend and mine's) Bucket List since 2009, and this year we made it happen. We chose the Adventure Package - Dog Sledding during the day, four course dinner (and room) at the Four Points Sheraton (next door), one night in a themed suite, breakfast the next morning, and then a night at the Hotel Chateau Laurier in downtown Quebec City the next night. The Hotel de Glacé was incredible! We headed over later, around 8 PM. We did the last orientation (they tell you very smart tips - clean pair of socks, wear one layer to bed, NO COTTON, how to work your sleeping bag, how to use the hot tubs and sauna to heat up your body temp before bed, etc.). We had so much fun. From the Ice Slide, to talking to other guests, to trying new liquors at the bar (shot out to Sophie! and our maple liquor and maple cream drink (don't remember the name)), to the ice carving activity, to walking around exploring and taking pictures, it was truly an experience we will never forget.

I slept better that night in the sleeping bag in our themed suite (Suite 3, the Love Cottage theme) than I did the night before at our heated room the Four Points. We were completely prepared - they send you information when you make your reservation. I still had a TON of questions, and most were answered by the staff at the Four Points. I didn't know how big the lockers are, if we could fit all our stuff in one, or need two, if we had to bring our own locks, what time the bar closed, should we even be drinking (thinning our blood) if we're staying out in the cold, can we drive there, or take the Four Points shuttle, etc. But we were fine - We drove, I brought one huge bag, with both our clothes and toiletries in it as well as sandals. There was room for our coats and my purse as well. We could access them any time we wanted. We had the long underwear we wore during the day, and fresh long underwear for the night. Same with socks. They give you bathrobes to wear from Celsius to the hot tubs and back (I had brought cover ups, b/c I didn't know about the bathrobes, so that was extra clothing, but now I (AND YOU) know). We definitely staggered our trip to the hot tub and sauna. There are only four hot tubs and ONE sauna. I think they should add a sauna, it got very cramped in there. We had plenty to do - I was afraid we'd be bored waiting around just standing there in the cold, but there was enough to see, and do. I would have liked to know about the snowshoeing as an activity - we would have brought our own and explored. No NEED to bring your own - they had a TON of shoes for everyone all sizes. They have free wifi in Celsius, and two computers to use too, if you want to kill time that way. I HIGHLY recommend bringing your own booze. We did NOT know about that. Apparently, others did. The complimentary apple cider is not that good. And the price of drinks is not cheap. I wish I had known that. The ice glass you use does melt - you have to keep rotating where you put your mouth so it doesn't keep melting it.

We were able to walk around in the morning and take pictures of all the other suites as they prepared for the day. They were incredible works of art. The Hotel is just as magical in the day as it is at night. People are right about the breakfast - it was eh. But agreed - we didn't go there for the food. The gift shop was okay - I wish they had a nice igloo picture frame or something, not the little plastic bi-fold one they had. I did buy the book on how it was made. Everyone was very friendly, helpful, and nice. We encountered zero problems.

I wouldn't go back every year (not to stay, maybe to see the new themed suite carvings), but I would definitely spend another night here again.

Room Tip: Go for the themed suite. Any of them! I don't believe there is a need to splurge for the firep...
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I will disagree with the reviews which feel that visiting the rooms is sufficient. There is a sense of adventure and excitement knowing you are staying overnight. We went as a family with kids aged 6,7,and 10. The kids stayed entertained and had a great time. We visited the suites several times and played on the ice slide. After check in there were games and ice sculpting. The only negatives for the night were the late check in (9pm- which if we were not with kids would not be the end of the world) and mediocre food choices. We arrived a few minutes after 5 and missed the last tour-- it would have been nice of the "orientation" for overnight guests had their own tour associated with it. But overall the night was memorable- kids and parents alike had fun. The decor and rooms were fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel de Glace? Share your experiences!