“Won't Forget It” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Glace

Save Saved
You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #24 of 102 hotels in Quebec City
Lenox, MA
“Won't Forget It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife gave me a night at Hotel de Glace for Christmas and we stayed in February. I am glad we did it, but I agree with most prior reviews that once is enough. It DID help that we read prior reviews before coming, so we did know what to expect and what to bring. Firstly, we took lots of pictures, which we shared instantly with friends and family, so we felt like we were on some kind of documentary adventure. Got lots of responses like "wow" and "cool." But make no mistake...this place is cold. There is not much point in showing up until early evening, because the entire hotel is open to the public until 8 pm, including your room. They don't let you have access until 9 pm and then you have to be out by 9 am, for the same reason. There is a warm reception area for those staying overnight. The shortcomings of that building are mainly what lie behind our "very good" instead of "excellent" review. There is a snack bar, and the food, including breakfast, is limited. We drove out for dinner. Breakfast was basic. There are tables in the snack bar area - not a comfortable place to congregate. There is a lounge area for overnight guests, which consists of several couches and several internet stations. Capacity of the hotel is about 90....so this area was always full with no other options. The dressing room/showers were nice, but detached from 2 bathrooms - which were part of the snack bar. This was not practical for 90 guests. And I don't mean 2 bathrooms with multiple stalls. 2 bathrooms that lock when one is in use. Beyond that: The staff was friendly and accommodating. Rooms: We paid for an upgrade to a theme room with a fireplace. That took the rate from $399 to $599. Not worth it, because the fireplaces are set to burn for 2 hours and they do not put out heat - which makes sense in an ice hotel. But they also don't provide additional ambiance because all of the ice walls and beds have internal led lights, so everything glows anyway. Now we get to the "experience:" The rooms are about 20 degrees F. The beds are a block of ice with a cover, which is completely wet because of the humidity. So there really is no such thing as enjoying your room. Basically you go into your room to crawl inside a liner, which then you wiggle that inside a sleeping bag and zip up to the point where only your eyes are showing. And that is it for the night. If you have to go to the bathroom, you must extricate yourself from your bag, get dressed and go outside to either portapotties or the before-mentioned 2 bathrooms. The hotel DOES have hot tubs and a sauna going all night, but in our minds, the concept of getting wet in 20 degree weather, and then crawling into a sleeping bag seemed too much. I read a lot of reviews that said most people had fitful nights, and that was true for us. We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac afterwards, and they let us check in at noon. Then we took 4 hours naps. Which begs the question....why did we pay $600 to freeze from 9 pm to 9 am, and why are we calling the experience "very good?" I guess because it is like climbing Everest. I doubt anyone who has ever done it actually enjoyed it but if you live to talk about it....

Room Tip: The theme rooms with fireplaces are not worth the premium because when you get into your room you ar...

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a great night here, it was a must on our trip to Winter Canada. Having said that I have ticked it off the "bucket list" and doubt i would stay again.
We had a lot of luggage and staff were very accomodating and gave us an extra locker to store our stuff.
We found all staff very helpful.
We only booked a basic room as you have pleanty of time to look around and take photos of all the rooms.
It was recommended that you took a dip in the hot spas (located outside) before bed to warm up. So at 1.00am I was in the hot tub, in the snow. Very cold getting back to the warm area to get ready for bed.
We played a few games int ehevening in the bar, which was fun. We got to meet a few great people and enjoyed our evening.
It really seemed like no one wanted to go to bed and most people stayed up until 2.00am or later
For me I did not sleep well but managed to spend the night in my room. The sleeping bags are very tight.
Breakfast was provided, not gourmet but ample.
There is a dining hall in the warm area which is not anyhting special but we ate chilli shich was tasty enough.
I think it is something you should try if you get the chance

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra money on a fancy room, just take loads of photos during the evening
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hancock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife surprised me by making reservations to the " Ice Hotel" for our anniversary. We drove all day from MA and got there at 3:30 in the afternoon. we checked in and took the English tour of the hotel. All the ice sculpture are beautiful and look so fragile. Some of the rooms look pretty cool and some area little scary. The grand hall is an interesting mix of ice art and corporate sponsorship. The chapel is real nice and the ice benches with the skins are comfortable. After the tour we went to old Quebec for something to eat. We came back to the hotel for our sleep class that everyone should take if they plan on sleeping there. There suggestion to walk out to the hot tub in a robe and swim suit didn't cut it with us so we decided just to stay dry. We went to the bat and drink out of ice cube glasses. Keep in mind that it as cold as a freezer in the whole place. After a few drinks and a few games it was time to get ready to go to bed. we put on new thermal underwear and flannel PJ of them. Put on two pairs of sock's and headed to our room. we quickly unpacked the mummy sleeping bag and the microfiber sheet they give you. I got into the bag and as I tried to draw the drawstrings to keep in warmth I felt claustrophobic. Sleeping in the mummy bag is not an easy thing for me. I didn't sleep well because of that. My feet were cold almost all night. When I woke up in the morning I was surprised and happy to know that it was 7:30. We put on our freezing cold boots and jackets and head to the warm showers. Breakfast was not very good but it was warm. Even though I froze and didn't sleep well I had a great time, and it's fun to tell people about it now. I won't have to do it again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wow, what an experience! We arrived around 4.30pm after getting the public bus from downtown Quebec (very easy, $3, and it drops you off a 2 minute walk away). Check in was easy and the staff were helpful in making sure we had everything we needed, getting our bags to our locker and making a reservation for dinner.
Next up, the tour. Our guide was funny, enthusiastic and informative and of course, the hotel is just spectacular. We then had some time to wander around all the themed suites alone which are mostly incredible (the avelanche is the coolest in my opinion).
After the sleeping instruction/safety talk we got a cab to dinner. The restuarant recommended to us was very nice and close by. On our return we changed back into snow gear for ice carving and cocktails in the bar and a go on the slide and ice drum kit. We had quite a few drinks, including the free one. Yes they're expensive but they're yummy and it's fun to hang out in the bar with other guests. Alcohol keeps you warmer too. It was quite quiet on the night we were there - everyone seemed to hit the hot tubs and then bed very early for some reason. We avoided the rush and got into the tubs at about 12.30. For me this was the best bit. It was snowing which created the perfect atmosphere and there were only a few of us there by that time so it was pretty private. After an hour or so of enjoying the spa we decided to go to bed. The facilites in the celcius room are great and i never had to wait for a shower/hair dryer/changing space.
We only brought cotton clothes to wear in bed (it would have been helpful to have been told on booking that this isn't a good material to wear rather than where you get there) so we decided to go with the staff recommendation and sleep in nothing. If you're toasty warm from the hot tub and don't hang around too long before getting into bed you'll be fine. I was warm all night (apart from my nose which got quite cold) and i tend to get cold very easily. I didn't sleep brilliantly but that's to be expected and i think more to do with the fact that i find a sleepning bag to be restrictive and doesn't let me sleep in the position i normally do, than the cold. I was already awake at 8am so the wake up call wasn't a problem. The sleeping bags are easy to use if you follow the instructions.
The facilites in the morning were great. Again, no problem getting a shower etc. Sadly the breakfast was a massive let down. Hard croissants, miserable looking cornflakes, a few deep fried sausages and little rubbery scrambled egg pots don't really cut it when you're paying so much a night, and the breakfast room leaves a lot to be desired. That can be forgiven though.
Most people left very early but we decided to go snow shoeing after breakfast which was a nice new experience. The trail goes around the abandoned zoo that the hotel is built in. We got a bit lost but enjoyed ourselves. Then a quick bus ride back to the city for the rest of our trip.
All in all an amazing experience from start to finish.
Recommendations: I wouldn't bother getting the seperate hotel room. We didn't do this but it seems completely not worth the money. You have everything you need at the ice hotel and the only benefit to me seems like a better breakfast.
I also personally wouldn't bother with the theme rooms. They're beautiful but you get to see all of them anyway and when you do actually go into your room you're just going to go straight to sleep, not hang around enjoying the scenery. It doesn't seem worth the extra expense to me.
Make sure you wear snow pants if you have them. Hanging around is much more fun if you're warm and dry and you don't want to have to hang out in the heated lounge too much because it's far less fun than the hotel itself.
Use the hot tubs!
Don't bring cotton to sleep in.
Don't stay if you don't like the cold and a little adventure.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

An amazing experience. The staff members are all extremely kind and helpful. Our favorite part of the stay was enjoying a nice hot spa under the stars. Ice carving was really fun as well. I would recommend staying overnight since many of the amenities are available only to overnight guests (snow-shoeing, hot spa, ice-sculpting). You would also get bragging rights of having slept (fairly comfortably) on a bed of ice ^^.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went out to see the Ice Hotel. We had no intention of staying overnight, and that did not change by our visit. That is a personal choice. Others may feel differently, and I do not want to discourage you. If I were 20 years younger, I would stay.

That having been said, it is worth a visit. The rooms are amazing and the whole structure is a work of art.

There is a tour, both in English and French on alternate hours. It is worth it. There is an admission fee, but the tour is free.

I need to say a word about the people who work here. I don't know where they are from, but wherever it is, we need to start a cloning program there. Everyone, and I do mean everyone was among the nicest people I have ever met.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've wanted to stay here ever since I heard about in many years ago. Finally made it in 2013 and couldn't have enjoyed it more. The place is fantastic looking at night with all the colored lights, but I was actually surprised how much more detail there was to see during the daytime. If you stay the night, be sure to check out all the rooms during the daytime. The suites were a real visual treat to behold.
Enjoyed the hot tubs, the sauna and listened to the lengthy dissertation on how to properly sleep at the ice hotel. It was long but worth it - I stayed absolutely comfortable all night long.
The drinks at the bar were amazing - i recommend the Aurore Boreale and the L'Erabliere. Both were yummy,
Stayed in a "standard" room which was very plain and unadorned. The suites are much more decorative and memorable. Some suites have fireplaces, but they are strictly for looks - absolutely no heat is generated whatsoever.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 20 which was a "standard' room. Plain walls, floor and ceiling. The suites a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel de Glace? Share your experiences!