“simply amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Glace

You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #34 of 105 Hotels in Quebec City
“simply amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wow, what an experience! We arrived around 4.30pm after getting the public bus from downtown Quebec (very easy, $3, and it drops you off a 2 minute walk away). Check in was easy and the staff were helpful in making sure we had everything we needed, getting our bags to our locker and making a reservation for dinner.
Next up, the tour. Our guide was funny, enthusiastic and informative and of course, the hotel is just spectacular. We then had some time to wander around all the themed suites alone which are mostly incredible (the avelanche is the coolest in my opinion).
After the sleeping instruction/safety talk we got a cab to dinner. The restuarant recommended to us was very nice and close by. On our return we changed back into snow gear for ice carving and cocktails in the bar and a go on the slide and ice drum kit. We had quite a few drinks, including the free one. Yes they're expensive but they're yummy and it's fun to hang out in the bar with other guests. Alcohol keeps you warmer too. It was quite quiet on the night we were there - everyone seemed to hit the hot tubs and then bed very early for some reason. We avoided the rush and got into the tubs at about 12.30. For me this was the best bit. It was snowing which created the perfect atmosphere and there were only a few of us there by that time so it was pretty private. After an hour or so of enjoying the spa we decided to go to bed. The facilites in the celcius room are great and i never had to wait for a shower/hair dryer/changing space.
We only brought cotton clothes to wear in bed (it would have been helpful to have been told on booking that this isn't a good material to wear rather than where you get there) so we decided to go with the staff recommendation and sleep in nothing. If you're toasty warm from the hot tub and don't hang around too long before getting into bed you'll be fine. I was warm all night (apart from my nose which got quite cold) and i tend to get cold very easily. I didn't sleep brilliantly but that's to be expected and i think more to do with the fact that i find a sleepning bag to be restrictive and doesn't let me sleep in the position i normally do, than the cold. I was already awake at 8am so the wake up call wasn't a problem. The sleeping bags are easy to use if you follow the instructions.
The facilites in the morning were great. Again, no problem getting a shower etc. Sadly the breakfast was a massive let down. Hard croissants, miserable looking cornflakes, a few deep fried sausages and little rubbery scrambled egg pots don't really cut it when you're paying so much a night, and the breakfast room leaves a lot to be desired. That can be forgiven though.
Most people left very early but we decided to go snow shoeing after breakfast which was a nice new experience. The trail goes around the abandoned zoo that the hotel is built in. We got a bit lost but enjoyed ourselves. Then a quick bus ride back to the city for the rest of our trip.
All in all an amazing experience from start to finish.
Recommendations: I wouldn't bother getting the seperate hotel room. We didn't do this but it seems completely not worth the money. You have everything you need at the ice hotel and the only benefit to me seems like a better breakfast.
I also personally wouldn't bother with the theme rooms. They're beautiful but you get to see all of them anyway and when you do actually go into your room you're just going to go straight to sleep, not hang around enjoying the scenery. It doesn't seem worth the extra expense to me.
Make sure you wear snow pants if you have them. Hanging around is much more fun if you're warm and dry and you don't want to have to hang out in the heated lounge too much because it's far less fun than the hotel itself.
Use the hot tubs!
Don't bring cotton to sleep in.
Don't stay if you don't like the cold and a little adventure.

2 Thank Sophie B

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

An amazing experience. The staff members are all extremely kind and helpful. Our favorite part of the stay was enjoying a nice hot spa under the stars. Ice carving was really fun as well. I would recommend staying overnight since many of the amenities are available only to overnight guests (snow-shoeing, hot spa, ice-sculpting). You would also get bragging rights of having slept (fairly comfortably) on a bed of ice ^^.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chocopie
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went out to see the Ice Hotel. We had no intention of staying overnight, and that did not change by our visit. That is a personal choice. Others may feel differently, and I do not want to discourage you. If I were 20 years younger, I would stay.

That having been said, it is worth a visit. The rooms are amazing and the whole structure is a work of art.

There is a tour, both in English and French on alternate hours. It is worth it. There is an admission fee, but the tour is free.

I need to say a word about the people who work here. I don't know where they are from, but wherever it is, we need to start a cloning program there. Everyone, and I do mean everyone was among the nicest people I have ever met.

2 Thank BillRhodeIsland
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've wanted to stay here ever since I heard about in many years ago. Finally made it in 2013 and couldn't have enjoyed it more. The place is fantastic looking at night with all the colored lights, but I was actually surprised how much more detail there was to see during the daytime. If you stay the night, be sure to check out all the rooms during the daytime. The suites were a real visual treat to behold.
Enjoyed the hot tubs, the sauna and listened to the lengthy dissertation on how to properly sleep at the ice hotel. It was long but worth it - I stayed absolutely comfortable all night long.
The drinks at the bar were amazing - i recommend the Aurore Boreale and the L'Erabliere. Both were yummy,
Stayed in a "standard" room which was very plain and unadorned. The suites are much more decorative and memorable. Some suites have fireplaces, but they are strictly for looks - absolutely no heat is generated whatsoever.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 20 which was a "standard' room. Plain walls, floor and ceiling. The suites a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I drove from Toronto, and stayed in a hotel in Quebec City the first night, and we stayed at Hotel de Glace the second night. I realized it would have been smarter to book Hotel de Glace for the first night, and the hotel in Quebec city the second night. If you have a third night, I would suggest sandwiching the experience between two normal hotel stays, which is what another couple we spoke to did.

Snow shoes are available to borrow for free, so I suggest trying that out too. The trail is not that long - took about half an hour with us getting lost a bit, but I found that it helped me warm up quite a bit right before hitting the hot tub that night. I wore my snow pants at that time, and I found people walking around with their snow pants the whole day. We hit up the hot tub and dry sauna prior to going to bed to warm up.

For sleeping, bring items that are not made out of cotton, including non-cotton socks! Cotton absorbs moisture, so if you sweat while inside the sleeping bag, the moisture will be trapped on what you're wearing and will become cold eventually. I only had cotton socks so I went barefeet, and that caused me to doze on and off about 10 times that night. I wore my cotton socks eventually in the middle of the night, but by then I was already too cold. A couple I spoke to the next morning said they brought small heat packs for the hands and feet. They slept really well through the night because of that. Of course, another tip to stay warm is to drink some alcoholic beverage prior to sleeping.

The sleeping bags have velcro on upper right side. I suggest wearing something that will not catch on it. I wore a knitted sweater. I stuggled when zipping/adjusting my bag because I kept getting caught on the velcro.

I wore a ski mask but I didn't find that too comfortable. My boyfriend wore something similar to the Russian Ushanka winter hats, and he slept really well. A neck wrap would also be nice because it'll keep your neck warm through the night.

Other than those things I could have done differently, the experience was amazing. I'd definitely recommend it because it's a unique experience and the staff are amazingly helpful and informative to make sure you're quite comfortable during your stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CJ C
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just back from our stay at the Ice Palace. Ice carved ambience is unique and an unforgettable experience! We are already talking about our next visit.With good preparation, we had no problem with the cold either while touring the castle, or enjoying ice cider in the Ice Bar, or the overnight stay. The instructions and equipment provided easily handled the ice cold conditions.

Changing for the recommended pre-sleep hot tub dip was a little chaotic as the facilities are little cramped. However, this was anight when the hotel was completely booked. Recommend bringing his and her clothes bags and two padlocks for temporary storage of clothing while at the spa. We had a package which included a standby hotel room as well as dinner and breakfast. This was well worth it as we were about to enjoy a delicious meal prior to heading to the ice palace and a relaxed shower and breakfast the morning after.

Worth a visit or overnight stay!

Room Tip: Go for a package as described above. You get a fabulous ice palace room with a themed carving.
3 Thank Jeffrey C
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel de glace is super cool. I did not stay the night but had the behind the scenes tour. A bit dry at times but cool to understand how it all pulls together. If you love winter and cold temperatures this is a sight to see. I am more of a summer person but i would definetely consider spending a night for the experience. It is only 10 minutes driving from centre-ville and you get to make your own ice glass.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo