“Visit, not stay” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #21 of 103 Hotels in Quebec City
Rhode Island
“Visit, not stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went out to see the Ice Hotel. We had no intention of staying overnight, and that did not change by our visit. That is a personal choice. Others may feel differently, and I do not want to discourage you. If I were 20 years younger, I would stay.

That having been said, it is worth a visit. The rooms are amazing and the whole structure is a work of art.

There is a tour, both in English and French on alternate hours. It is worth it. There is an admission fee, but the tour is free.

I need to say a word about the people who work here. I don't know where they are from, but wherever it is, we need to start a cloning program there. Everyone, and I do mean everyone was among the nicest people I have ever met.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I've wanted to stay here ever since I heard about in many years ago. Finally made it in 2013 and couldn't have enjoyed it more. The place is fantastic looking at night with all the colored lights, but I was actually surprised how much more detail there was to see during the daytime. If you stay the night, be sure to check out all the rooms during the daytime. The suites were a real visual treat to behold.
Enjoyed the hot tubs, the sauna and listened to the lengthy dissertation on how to properly sleep at the ice hotel. It was long but worth it - I stayed absolutely comfortable all night long.
The drinks at the bar were amazing - i recommend the Aurore Boreale and the L'Erabliere. Both were yummy,
Stayed in a "standard" room which was very plain and unadorned. The suites are much more decorative and memorable. Some suites have fireplaces, but they are strictly for looks - absolutely no heat is generated whatsoever.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 20 which was a "standard' room. Plain walls, floor and ceiling. The suites a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I drove from Toronto, and stayed in a hotel in Quebec City the first night, and we stayed at Hotel de Glace the second night. I realized it would have been smarter to book Hotel de Glace for the first night, and the hotel in Quebec city the second night. If you have a third night, I would suggest sandwiching the experience between two normal hotel stays, which is what another couple we spoke to did.

Snow shoes are available to borrow for free, so I suggest trying that out too. The trail is not that long - took about half an hour with us getting lost a bit, but I found that it helped me warm up quite a bit right before hitting the hot tub that night. I wore my snow pants at that time, and I found people walking around with their snow pants the whole day. We hit up the hot tub and dry sauna prior to going to bed to warm up.

For sleeping, bring items that are not made out of cotton, including non-cotton socks! Cotton absorbs moisture, so if you sweat while inside the sleeping bag, the moisture will be trapped on what you're wearing and will become cold eventually. I only had cotton socks so I went barefeet, and that caused me to doze on and off about 10 times that night. I wore my cotton socks eventually in the middle of the night, but by then I was already too cold. A couple I spoke to the next morning said they brought small heat packs for the hands and feet. They slept really well through the night because of that. Of course, another tip to stay warm is to drink some alcoholic beverage prior to sleeping.

The sleeping bags have velcro on upper right side. I suggest wearing something that will not catch on it. I wore a knitted sweater. I stuggled when zipping/adjusting my bag because I kept getting caught on the velcro.

I wore a ski mask but I didn't find that too comfortable. My boyfriend wore something similar to the Russian Ushanka winter hats, and he slept really well. A neck wrap would also be nice because it'll keep your neck warm through the night.

Other than those things I could have done differently, the experience was amazing. I'd definitely recommend it because it's a unique experience and the staff are amazingly helpful and informative to make sure you're quite comfortable during your stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just back from our stay at the Ice Palace. Ice carved ambience is unique and an unforgettable experience! We are already talking about our next visit.With good preparation, we had no problem with the cold either while touring the castle, or enjoying ice cider in the Ice Bar, or the overnight stay. The instructions and equipment provided easily handled the ice cold conditions.

Changing for the recommended pre-sleep hot tub dip was a little chaotic as the facilities are little cramped. However, this was anight when the hotel was completely booked. Recommend bringing his and her clothes bags and two padlocks for temporary storage of clothing while at the spa. We had a package which included a standby hotel room as well as dinner and breakfast. This was well worth it as we were about to enjoy a delicious meal prior to heading to the ice palace and a relaxed shower and breakfast the morning after.

Worth a visit or overnight stay!

Room Tip: Go for a package as described above. You get a fabulous ice palace room with a themed carving.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel de glace is super cool. I did not stay the night but had the behind the scenes tour. A bit dry at times but cool to understand how it all pulls together. If you love winter and cold temperatures this is a sight to see. I am more of a summer person but i would definetely consider spending a night for the experience. It is only 10 minutes driving from centre-ville and you get to make your own ice glass.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
sask Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here on Jan 30-2013, it had rained most of the afternoon and was actually cooler inside the hotel than outside. The intricate work and detail that goes into making of this hotel is incredible, pictures do not do it justice at all. We had a dog sledding package but were unable to go dogsledding due to the weather , but the staff at the hotel de Glace and the staff at the Four Seasons Sheraton were fabulous and helpful and they rescheduled it for another day. We recieved unlimited shuttles back and forth from the Four Season Sheraton with our package. The four course meal we recieved with our package was outstanding, we had the Filet Mignon. The breakfast we recieved with the package was served at the four seasons hotel and I must say it was one of the best breakfast I have ever tasted!
We used the hot tubs and the sauna before going to bed, and found that we were actually almost too warm. The only thing was they are not the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on they are very hard, but that is to be expected.
It is definitely worth a visit, I would recommend booking a package and recieving all the perks that go with the package.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodlawn, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Well, mixed feelings about this one- of- a- kind hotel. It is a novelty to stay in an extravagant igloo but a novelty one can do very much without. The work and detail going into creating this ueber igloo can be appreciatet and touring it is great fun. To stay overnight is not so much fun. The adjacent brick and mortar building one registers, changes, showers and eats is more impersonal than a train station hall. The building has no atmosphere whatsoever, it is utter disappointing. One has to prepare for sleeping in mummie sleeping bags and this necessiates locking ones suitcases in lockers. If you forgot something for the night, it means going back and forth between cold and warm. It is a glorified winter camping. The breakfast leaves much to be desired for. One would expect a nice breakfast after a cold and uncomfortable night, but all one gets is a self serve breakfast with plastic cutlery. The rates are very unreasonably high for what the hotel offers. Save your money and only tour the hotel, forget about staying overnight.

Room Tip: Just tour the hotel, don't stay overnight
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel de Glace? Share your experiences!